Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Lady K is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Jscl
By the way, if citizenship doesn't work out, there's an "UK Ancestry" visa that seems to apply to you. It enables you (if you do in fact qualify) to live and work in the UK for up to five years.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...inf9ukancestry

It can be converted to permanent residence in some circumstances.
I was told this before, but wouldn't the fact that my parents never married break the link between my grandparents and I?
I called careline a number of times at a ridiculous expense, and it all instances I was told that I shouldn't have a problem getting the passport even though I was considered "illegitimate" because I had other supporting documentation including my father's name on my birth certificate & my certificate of baptism signed by him in 1984 recognizing me as his child before the church. We even applied together sharing documents for the application.
I went through with the process with confidence and ordered all the appropriate documents from both the Canadian and British government (which cost about $220)
I'm just gutted that it didn't work out. The process has taken several months and cost about $600 after ordering all the documents & calling careline ect.
What gets me the most is that my father and grandparents played such a huge roll in my life. I was the only person in the room when my grandfather died in 2005. I was there only grandchild. I used to see my great grandmother annually until she got to old to travel...still exchange Christmas cards with her. I have all the pictures and postage from England from my great grandmother to back it up.
The marriage part just seems ridiculous in my case...my parents knew eachother the majority of their lives - thats why they decided not to marry lol
So what I am asking is why can't the certificate of baptism be cosidered in place of the marriage certificate? The marriage certificate is more to legitimize their relationship, not my relationship with my father. Also both ceremonies are preformed by a priest.
Just pondering this as my father is the one that pushed me to try and get it.

Last edited by Lady K; Mar 25th 2010 at 5:39 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I sent mine Jan 25th with an app for Consular Birth cert thing (for my daughter).

Credit card for passport charged Feb 25th.

Still waiting...

I'm in no great hurry, but is quite annoying.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

martyleach is an unknown quantity at this point

Horrah; The Embassy, Traveldocs, and Careline came through to resolve my issue ! (Thanks if anyone from any of the above is reading this !)

My passport had simply been sitting within the wrong 'bucket' within the passport processing family, and it's now winging its way here for tomorrow. Now its just down to Fedex..

18 day trip to the UK adverted..family reunion can go ahead. (barring any issues outside of my control that is; luckily we're not flying BA) Stress levels greatly reduced.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

GreyDawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Update: Partial timeline

Feb 17 - FedEx'd application to Washington
Feb 19 - Delivered -- signed for by security / guard
March 19 - Credit card charged! (four weeks from receipt).

And now the wait begins for the processing of my first-time-by-descent application.

(For info: My card was charged a US$217 application fee, and US$6.51 foreign transaction fee.)

Just to recap other timelines:
  • Burn911: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 8
  • KingHuang: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 10
  • Shauny2k5: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 9
  • Jesse923: received in DC Feb 18, card charged Mar 16
  • GreyDawg: received in DC Feb 19, card charged Mar 19
  • DottyPotty: "mailed" Feb 25, card charged Mar 11
  • md95065: received in DC Feb 25, card charged Mar 18, passport received 3/25

Last edited by GreyDawg; Mar 25th 2010 at 5:01 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

1apreferably is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Update: Partial timeline

Feb 17 - FedEx'd application to Washington
Feb 19 - Delivered -- signed for by security / guard
March 19 - Credit card charged! (four weeks from receipt).

And now the wait begins for the processing of my first-time-by-descent application.

(For info: My card was charged a US$217 application fee, and US$6.51 foreign transaction fee.)

Just to recap other timelines:
  • Burn911: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 8
  • KingHuang: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 10
  • Shauny2k5: received in DC Feb 16, card charged Mar 9
  • Jesse923: received in DC Feb 18, card charged Mar 16
  • GreyDawg: received in DC Feb 19, card charged Mar 19
  • DottyPotty: "mailed" Feb 25, card charged Mar 11
  • md95065: received in DC Feb 25, card charged Mar 18, passport received 3/25
That's my situation also GreyDawg, 1st time application.

Time line so far:
Received by embassy Feb 12
Card Charged Mar 10

Just waiting ...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady K
PLEASE HELP!

I am born in Canada but first generation on my father's side. My grandparents & great grandparents were all born in the UK.
I was born in 1980, and due to the legislation in force at that time - my application was denied due to the fact that my parents were never married.
I have all the documentation proving my father is my father. ie His name on my birth certificate as well as on my certificate of baptism.
We even sent in our applications together.
I also even have an old expired Canadian passport with my UK grandparents listed as my emergency contact from 1990 when I went to visit my great grandmother in Portsmouth.

My dad & I were planning on going to see my great gran for 99th birthday in May where I was then planning to work and stay a few months. She was also born in England on May 20th, 1911.
There has to be an exception? How can the fact that my parents were never married change my blood and my heritage.
I called careline a number of time and in all instances I was told that I should have no problems getting the passport.
This will probably get lost on such a long thread, but is explained here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...arried_Fathers

also the full Home Office document explaining "LEGITIMACY":
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/sit.../nisec2gensec/

Ancestry Visa has different rules and may still be an option: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Lady K is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the info! It is much appreciated. I will look into it right away.

K
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:48 am
Just Joined

NickW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, I'm new here.

My own (partial) timeline...

Jan 25: application received in DC
Feb 4: credit card charged

And now I wait... have heard nothing so I'm assuming they don't require any additional information...

Mine is a first-time application. It would be awfully nice to know what has become of all the original documents I sent over so long ago now, but it seems my experience isn't too out of the ordinary from reading this thread here!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Sorry.... meant to include this in the last post. Does anyone know whether they typically return your documents separately, or does everything come back with the passport?

I had to send my father's birth certificate and marriage license over and he's (understandably) rather concerned about their status now, two months later...
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickW
Sorry.... meant to include this in the last post. Does anyone know whether they typically return your documents separately, or does everything come back with the passport?
You should get everything back with the passport.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed the passport website has now changed its dates to four weeks not including transit time in one place, four weeks from the date the credit card in charged in another place, and "six weeks" elsewhere. At least it's more realistic.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you md, I appreciate it.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

markaspden is a jewel in the roughmarkaspden is a jewel in the roughmarkaspden is a jewel in the roughmarkaspden is a jewel in the roughmarkaspden is a jewel in the rough

Hi i sent my passport to washington on feb 11th, they finally charged my credit card on march 23th so i guess another 4 weeks. Also they charged me $6.15 international fee what the heck is that.
Thanks mark
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:43 am
Just Joined

GreyDawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markaspden
Hi i sent my passport to washington on feb 11th, they finally charged my credit card on march 23th so i guess another 4 weeks. Also they charged me $6.15 international fee what the heck is that.
Thanks mark
This is charged by your credit card company, not the British Passport Office: it is the fee for converting a charge in a foreign currency (in this case pounds) to US dollars. You'd have the same sort of foreign transaction fee if you charged a dinner in London, or bought socks in Glasgow. It's another way for the banks to make money with another fee.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

I sent off for a renewal on Feb 25, received Feb 26. I sent a money order so not sure when that was cashed.

UPS tried to deliver the passport last Friday - delivered today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.