Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:32 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
I don't know why I&PS D.C. don't work out how many they can process (by averaging out the best & worst case times) in three weeks and start sending a weeks worth of applications back to the UK for processing.

If the UK is nowhere near as stressed as the US regional office, surely it can stand to help pick up some of the US' slack.
Thats one of my options available to them, including overtime and extra staffing. Their biggest crime is not being transparent about the situation.

"When 9NEWS NOW tried to speak with someone inside the passport office, a security guard said no one inside would be willing to talk." Based on this alone they are obviously prepared for bad press on this.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder how many of us here could have gained naturalization & a US passport in the time taken from sending off their renewal application to receiving the replacement?

But that's for another thread maybe. (as many in this thread might not be eligible for naturalization)

But this will be the last UK&NI Passport that I will apply for.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Are there any businessmen affected by this? What if you have to do regular travel back and forth...?
They would usually have a second passport...
Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"I wonder how many of us here could have gained naturalization & a US passport in the time taken from sending off their renewal application to receiving the replacement?"

I take my oath on Thursday. I believe I can get my US passport very fast, so I can travel on July 14th.

I'm annoyed though that I'll have to go home to Scotland as a foreign visitor because of this debacle. If I'd known the whole 4 - 6 week thing was a lie I'd have renewed last year but what's done is done.,
Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

"I wonder how many of us here could have gained naturalization & a US passport in the time taken from sending off their renewal application to receiving the replacement?"

I take my oath on Thursday. I believe I can get my US passport very fast, so I can travel on July 14th.

I'm annoyed though that I'll have to go home to Scotland as a foreign visitor because of this debacle. If I'd known the whole 4 - 6 week thing was a lie I'd have renewed last year but what's done is done.,
Once you're a USC you must leave and enter the US using your US PP anyway. Entering the UK using a US PP isn't a problem if you're only visiting.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:44 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Once you're a USC you must leave and enter the US using your US PP anyway. Entering the UK using a US PP isn't a problem if you're only visiting.
He been told that 4 or 5 times already. Not sure it is sinking in.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"He been told that 4 or 5 times already. Not sure it is sinking in."

Sinking in? Not sure what you mean..I do understand it of course.

My point is that when I fly back to Edinburgh I would have liked to enter the UK on my British passport that's all. Now I presume I'll have to join the Non European line when I arrive at passport control in Edinburgh, and they'll ask me where I'm staying etc..since I won't have a UK passport to prove I'm a UK citizen. It's not a big deal, I'm aware of that, it's just irritating that I'll get a US passport days after taking the oath and yet it takes months just to renew the UK passport.
I wonder if anyone will be held accountable for the mess.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:32 am
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Realistically: Probably not.
Ideally: If I get my way, then yes.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:15 am
Just Joined

eanne06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, so here is my timeline thus far.

June 2-Arrived and signed for in DC

Some time between June 2 and June 8, the disclaimer showed up on the website saying it would now take longer than the original eta.

June 9-Call careline to see what the heck the disclaimer means. They can't tell me anything because I'm not in the system

June 24- I go to the embassy in DC and finally talk to a real, live human being in person! I express my dissapointment in the system and present my paperwork showing when I am to start my new job overseas. He gives me a paper to fill out and says that he will look for my application and see what can be done. Tells me he'd call me later that afternoon and says there is not a number I can call to talk to anyone. He said there are more than 250 unopened applications that he'd have to look through to try and find mine. They are seriously backed up. I left DC yesterday, drove back to Florida, and have not heard anything since. My work start date is August 7. This sucks. Will let you know if I hear anything.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:19 am
LP9
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eanne06
Okay, so here is my timeline thus far.

June 2-Arrived and signed for in DC

Some time between June 2 and June 8, the disclaimer showed up on the website saying it would now take longer than the original eta.

June 9-Call careline to see what the heck the disclaimer means. They can't tell me anything because I'm not in the system

June 24- I go to the embassy in DC and finally talk to a real, live human being in person! I express my dissapointment in the system and present my paperwork showing when I am to start my new job overseas. He gives me a paper to fill out and says that he will look for my application and see what can be done. Tells me he'd call me later that afternoon and says there is not a number I can call to talk to anyone. He said there are more than 250 unopened applications that he'd have to look through to try and find mine. They are seriously backed up. I left DC yesterday, drove back to Florida, and have not heard anything since. My work start date is August 7. This sucks. Will let you know if I hear anything.
Absolutely amazing.

The lack of accountability is astounding.

I think I would have stayed 2 or 3 days and been there everyday!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:23 am
Just Joined

eanne06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LP9
Absolutely amazing.

The lack of accountability is astounding.

I think I would have stayed 2 or 3 days and been there everyday!
I would have loved to have stalked them that long, but work calls. I had to take of two days just to make that impression. I hope something comes of it.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:24 am
LP9
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eanne06
I would have loved to have stalked them that long, but work calls. I had to take of two days just to make that impression. I hope something comes of it.
I wish I'd known you were going....I would have done half your driving!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

"He been told that 4 or 5 times already. Not sure it is sinking in."

Sinking in? Not sure what you mean..I do understand it of course.

My point is that when I fly back to Edinburgh I would have liked to enter the UK on my British passport that's all. Now I presume I'll have to join the Non European line when I arrive at passport control in Edinburgh, and they'll ask me where I'm staying etc..since I won't have a UK passport to prove I'm a UK citizen. It's not a big deal, I'm aware of that, it's just irritating that I'll get a US passport days after taking the oath and yet it takes months just to renew the UK passport.
FWIW I always enter the UK using my UK PP because I don't like those questions...but in the scheme of things it's not a ball breaker. If I only had my US PP to hand...then I would enter the UK using that PP. At least we have an alternative...unlike some who are only UK citizens and their PPs are held up in DC.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

sachminu is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am happy that at least they have updated there website...and mentioned that it will take 10 weeks and also they have hired additional staff. Also pleased to see that the local media did a story.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

sachminu is an unknown quantity at this point

My credit hasn't been charged yet, I am hoping by early July they will at least charge it, so that I can start counting the weeks, till I get the passport. I was planning to go to Toronto this summer and my plans are ruined. Well maybe will have to take a trip in the Fall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.