Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

jagruti6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Without trying to put a damper on things, remember July 4th w/end nothing is going to move. So you might want to re evaluate timing for any calls for ETD'S.
Thanks for the reminder!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

sachminu is an unknown quantity at this point

What I dont understand is, if this problem has been going of for so long...which it seems like. Then why doesnt the embassy do something about it. Why dont they hire more employees to speed up the process. It seems like the applications are sitting on someone's desk for a month even before they are opened. At least hire someone to open the envelopes, check whether the documents are correct and everything is included in the application.
I am sure the process can be streamlined and organized. I can understand that you just cant hire people without doing a background check, but its been such a long time that this problem has been going on....by now people could have been hired and given work.

I really feel sorry for people who need to travel. And its summer time, the peak travel season...if it had been winter then its at least ok. On the website it just mentions delays....a correct timeline should be mentioned...otherwise its just misleading people. If they mention that it takes 2-4 months, then maybe less people will send in applications and they can focus on the applications they have. And instead of consolidating the whole of Americas and Caribbean into one center, they should really consider creating more centers...especially if this is going to continue.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:38 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sachminu
What I dont understand is, if this problem has been going of for so long...which it seems like. Then why doesnt the embassy do something about it. Why dont they hire more employees to speed up the process. It seems like the applications are sitting on someone's desk for a month even before they are opened. At least hire someone to open the envelopes, check whether the documents are correct and everything is included in the application.
I am sure the process can be streamlined and organized. I can understand that you just cant hire people without doing a background check, but its been such a long time that this problem has been going on....by now people could have been hired and given work.

I really feel sorry for people who need to travel. And its summer time, the peak travel season...if it had been winter then its at least ok. On the website it just mentions delays....a correct timeline should be mentioned...otherwise its just misleading people. If they mention that it takes 2-4 months, then maybe less people will send in applications and they can focus on the applications they have. And instead of consolidating the whole of Americas and Caribbean into one center, they should really consider creating more centers...especially if this is going to continue.
Yes yes yes & yes ... I bet you get very little argument about the problems and possible solutions BUT as you have probably read on earlier posts .. short of armed revolution nobody in power seems to want to cure the problem. The only saving grace we have on this site, is Dean (british Consul) although its not his dept he at least has been able to assist where he can and no doubt has put a lot of effort out on our behalf. I think the biggest thing I took from my own issue is to remember it next time round.

They say that we get the govt we deserve. (in other words if we put them in charge its our own fault) that logic dictates we all need to beat up big time on our relatives back in Blighty who elected them.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

gbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nice

I am supposed to be flying out to the UK July 2nd..........sent in my renewal app and it was recevied May 17th................finally got thru to that useless careline and was told they had no record of it, but checked with my bank and saw that the fee was taken June 17th.......I waited for an hour to talk to someone again, and was told another 10 weeks from the fee being collected. My whole summer visit back home is going to have to be cancelled........we cannot take anyother time off....................and my family in the UK have all made their plans around ours........it is just so sickening. I'm in Ohio and cannot get to an office to apply for emergency travel documents, so what do I do? I'm totally screwed are'nt I? I overnighted a letter to the HM Consul yesterday, they recevied this morning...........it was a three page letter of frustration and disgust...........I also tried contacting the "Honory British Consulate" for Cleveland..........no response there either.
I have two boys that are totally heartbroken............they are adopted and this was their big trip to meet their grandparents and aunts and uncles that they have never met before, they were soooooooooooooo excited. My parents are elderly and cannot make the flight here, I am just so totally disgusted.................I was told that I need to delay my travel plans like it is no big deal.........I wonder how any of them would feel if the shoe were on the other foot..................I cannot believe either that they have no service to expedite applications..................it is just crazy. I NEVER had this experience the last time I renewed my passport here. SOMETHING has to be done.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:36 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gbr2usa
I am supposed to be flying out to the UK July 2nd..........sent in my renewal app and it was recevied May 17th................finally got thru to that useless careline and was told they had no record of it, but checked with my bank and saw that the fee was taken June 17th.......I waited for an hour to talk to someone again, and was told another 10 weeks from the fee being collected. My whole summer visit back home is going to have to be cancelled........we cannot take anyother time off....................and my family in the UK have all made their plans around ours........it is just so sickening. I'm in Ohio and cannot get to an office to apply for emergency travel documents, so what do I do? I'm totally screwed are'nt I? I overnighted a letter to the HM Consul yesterday, they recevied this morning...........it was a three page letter of frustration and disgust...........I also tried contacting the "Honory British Consulate" for Cleveland..........no response there either.
I have two boys that are totally heartbroken............they are adopted and this was their big trip to meet their grandparents and aunts and uncles that they have never met before, they were soooooooooooooo excited. My parents are elderly and cannot make the flight here, I am just so totally disgusted.................I was told that I need to delay my travel plans like it is no big deal.........I wonder how any of them would feel if the shoe were on the other foot..................I cannot believe either that they have no service to expedite applications..................it is just crazy. I NEVER had this experience the last time I renewed my passport here. SOMETHING has to be done.
Sadly you are in the same boat as everyone else here. I am trying to do something about it, but I cant do it alone, so any help anyone can give is appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

mshedden is on a distinguished road

Is it just you needing a passport, and when did the old one expire? Which airport does your 'feeder' flight depart from. Which airport does your UK flight depart from?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

gbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nice

Originally Posted by mshedden
Is it just you needing a passport, and when did the old one expire? Which airport does your 'feeder' flight depart from. Which airport does your UK flight depart from?
Yes, it is just me needing a passport..............everyone else has theirs, they are all US citizens. My passport expired last year, July. I am/was supposed to be flying out of Pittsburg, to Newark, then on to Heathrow................same thing in reverse coming home.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:30 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aml1982
I just e-mailed the three MPs for Nottingham, which is where we will be settling if (when) we can travel.

I want to have faith in the system that it will eventually right itself and people will get their passports, but nonetheless this needs to be brought to the attention of the people in power.

Is it correct that the passport centre is prioritising applications based on situation/travel dates, etc.? A couple of people have suggested it, but then it seems like everyone still ends up waiting a really long time. You would think that someone who needs their passport for business would be bumped further up the queue than someone who simply uses theirs for vacations but doesn't actually have one planned, for instance.
Unless its an actual emergency, they really shouldn't be bumping anyone up the queue. The big thing really is the lack of information, and no sufficient reason given for the delay.

Good job with the emails.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LP9
Unless its an actual emergency, they really shouldn't be bumping anyone up the queue. The big thing really is the lack of information, and no sufficient reason given for the delay.

Good job with the emails.
See, I disagree with that. If you have someone who uses their passport on a regular basis because they have to travel internationally for business or something, then that person should be looked at a bit quicker than someone who only uses their passport for a vacation once every three years. You've got one person who needs it for their livelihood, and another who may or might not hop on a flight to Jamaica for a week.

Edit - but I agree that the lack of info/communication is the real kicker. I don't know why they can't give everyone a tracking number so you can check what stage your application is at.

Last edited by aml1982; Jun 22nd 2011 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:42 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aml1982
See, I disagree with that. If you have someone who uses their passport on a regular basis because they have to travel internationally for business or something, then that person should be looked at a bit quicker than someone who only uses their passport for a vacation once every three years. You've got one person who needs it for their livelihood, and another who may or might not hop on a flight to Jamaica for a week.

Edit - but I agree that the lack of info/communication is the real kicker. I don't know why they can't give everyone a tracking number so you can check what stage your application is at.
I can see that. There is an element of triage needed I suppose.

The whole thing smells of good old fashioned incompetence.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

mshedden is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is just me needing a passport..............everyone else has theirs, they are all US citizens. My passport expired last year, July. I am/was supposed to be flying out of Pittsburg, to Newark, then on to Heathrow................same thing in reverse coming home.
I was hoping there was a consulate near by. If you could change the feeder flight to go from somewhere like Dulles (Washington DC), then you could perhaps get to DC the day before, with an appt for an ETD.

Dunno where you are in OH, but alternatively, drive over to DC one evening in the few days before your flight with an ETD appt for the next morning and then drive back. One day off work. Its a bit of a drive from OH, but its do-able - I've done it plenty! You could make this work. In fact, its probably the only viable option.

I think you will be more than lucky if anything else happens on the PP front in the timeframe.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:50 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry but I really have to lol at this one you procrastinate in renewing your passport and now it is the goverments fault you may not be able to go on vacation....
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Passport Delays

A couple of ideas:

I don't know how old your children are, but could you send them as UM's (Unaccompanied Minors) and then meet up with them in the UK?

Or....could you get to the Consulate in New York City for an ETD? (The day before you travel, although I don't know how much the airline would charge for rebooking the first leg of your flight...I guess it's Continental aka United? but you could phone and beg/plead for mercy re; the fees!) If you have a long connection time you might even be able to get it all done on the same day, but it's a big risk, best to go the day before.

NYC is a very easy trip to and from Newark airport...you just get the Newark Airport Express non-stop bus to the Port Authority, Bryant Park or Grand Central Station...actually Bryant Park or Grand Central aren't far at all to the Consulate. You could get your ETD and return to the airport for your flight to the UK.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...ed=0CDIQqgUwAQ

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 22nd 2011 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I am sorry but I really have to lol at this one you procrastinate in renewing your passport and now it is the goverments fault you may not be able to go on vacation....
Yes, it is probably funny when you are not in this situation yourself........I did not procrastinate.......I have renewed my passport before and it was less than four weeks, I checked on the website and they stated the same..........I gave them a little under eight weeks to be on the safe side, but that put aside..............bottom line, there is a BIG problem with this process and it needs to be fixed.
It is not nice to be so judgemental when you do not know the full facts
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Bit harsh? Normally it take just a few weeks, now they are running into months, not really the passport holders fault is it. Most people don't renew the passport till it's only got a couple months left on it or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.