Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old May 5th 2010, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

SFBritCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

Thanks for replying and I hope you get your passport before Sunday!!
Did they even call you back within the 72 hours of you escalating it? They told me I would hear back within 72 hours but presumably I should not hold my breath.

Does anyone have a number for the Washington passport office so I can call them to ask them to send my son's US passport back to me?
Old May 6th 2010, 4:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get a replacement US passport?
Old May 6th 2010, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Can you get a replacement US passport?
Thanks for the suggestion - I have just been checking out this option and I think I can since it looks like we have an office locally - although they say you need an appointment and the next available appointment is about 5 days after we are supposed to leave...so it's not guaranteed and I will have to try my luck just showing up there....and I will also have to go and get another certified birth certificate for my son since his is at the British Embassy along with his passport! What a mess. I think that will be my last resort for early next week if I still have no passport!
Old May 6th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Originally Posted by SFBritCK
Thanks for replying and I hope you get your passport before Sunday!!
Did they even call you back within the 72 hours of you escalating it? They told me I would hear back within 72 hours but presumably I should not hold my breath.

Does anyone have a number for the Washington passport office so I can call them to ask them to send my son's US passport back to me?
Hi

Nothing yet - called them again yesterday and no response so far. Will call again this morning and see what happens. I'm not travelling to the UK so if they can send my Australian passport back at least it would be good!

Good luck with it all.

Goat.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

It looks like my son's passport will be arriving TOMORROW!
Yesterday in desperation and lack of faith for the Careline escalation process I emailed my local consulate office (since there is one in my city)...and actually got a response from someone who said they will look into it and it looks like she did because I just received an email from her saying that my son's passport was issued today and should be delivered tomorrow - she even included the tracking number for UPS! What a star!
So, if you have a local consulate office, try that as you might get lucky and get someone that actually cares and can check into it from another angle.

Best of luck to everyone that is waiting!
Old May 8th 2010, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

warezxs is an unknown quantity at this point

very useful thread thanks all!
Old May 18th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

n0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nicen0uk is just really nice

This is for the timeline updates:

App received in DC on 29 March, credit card charged 16 April, no PP yet.

This was to replace my passport which was stolen when my house was burgled, so it is considered as a new application.
Old May 19th 2010, 12:20 am
Just Joined

lisagp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hellllllp!!!! I sent my App in and it was received April 20th. I marked very clearly my travel date was May 20th and I HAVE NOT received it back yet. They took payment from my Ccard on May 7th. I have a VERY IMPORTANT business trip - leaving on Sunday as well as a visit to my Father for his surgery in England. What can I do? I cant afford the expense, professional embarrassment nor family let-down if this doesn't get sorted out...!! Can the Consulate office in Toronto or Ottawa help me? Can Washington just pull out my old passport and send it back (doesn't expire til Sep 10)? I can't believe I took a chance and relied on the 4 weeks deadline!
Old May 19th 2010, 12:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisagp
I can't believe I took a chance and relied on the 4 weeks deadline!
The website clearly states that it is 4 weeks from the date that payment is taken. Sorry! Do a quick Google search for "emergency travel document".

Ian
Old May 19th 2010, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian - but if you look at http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passpor...-passport-usa/ you will not this is NOT the case. There are numerous pages that do not state 4 weeks from payment - now that I have looke further... and this page is the only one I printed for instructions. I will contact the consulate tomorrow I guess - but from other posts I'm not sure of my chances. Wow - I can't believe this - I felt sure the travel date would prompt them to prioritize. How wrong I was. And no leg to stand on. No compensation. Nothing.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisagp
Thanks Ian - but if you look at http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passpor...-passport-usa/ you will not this is NOT the case.
I was getting my information not only from the British Consul, but also from here: "Our goal is to process applications within four weeks. The processing time will start from the date payment is taken from your credit card."

Ian
Old May 21st 2010, 2:03 am
Just Joined

ALL - OFFICIAL PROCESS:
I am pleased to say my passport arrived today via UPS. I travel on Sunday.
My passport ONLY arrived because:
1. I called CARELINE (yes i paid the (small) credit card fees but it was worth it). They escalated my case to Washington.
2. I called and emailed the British Consulate in Toronto (details on website). They will try to divert you for passport enquiries - however IF YOUR SITUATION IS VERY IMPORTANT - I.E. YOU HAVE IMMINENT TRAVEL BOOKED OR REQUIREMENTS - they WILL help you. Press MUST press the buttons for an Emergency.
I also reached out to my local MP. Didn't help. However, from the above actions, i received calls by 8:30am the next morning from everyone looking to help me. Washington did my passport that day and the Consulate - if all else failed - made an appointment to issue me with an ETD - Emergency Travel Document. Anyone can get one if you have your birth certificate, some other ID, get photo's etc. etc. They can do this the same day - but you MUST book an appointment.

I HOPE ALL FUTURE WORRIERS READ THIS AND SEE THAT YOUR PROBLEMS CAN BE RESOLVED IN SHORT NOTICE. ONLY AN EMERGENCY.
Old May 26th 2010, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

NickW is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally received my passport today. Here is my complete timeline.

Jan 25: First-time-by-descent application received in DC
Feb 04: Card charged
Apr 01: Called Careline, told everything looks OK
Apr 08: Received application back, rejected for improper countersignatory
Apr 13: Corrected application with new pictures/countersignatory received in DC
Apr 26: Card charged ($12 for add'l UPS cost)
May 24: Called Careline and was told that technically they can't escalate since I don't have travel booked, but since it was "so far outside the normal processing time," the lady said she would try for me.
May 25: Received phone call from British embassy to inform me that, owing to the Careline escalation, my passport had been issued and was going out that night! Gave me UPS tracking number.
May 26: UPS delivered passport.

I had new pictures taken when I had to resubmit the application but I was a bit concerned about the quality of them (CVS sucks... got some teenage girl to do the pictures, who obviously didn't know what she was doing). I guess the embassy was too as they actually used the older picture I sent them in January. Or maybe that was just already in the system and was easier for them... who knows.

It's worth noting that UPS did not require a signature... I just opened the door and the guy handed it to me and left.

Only problem is my parents' marriage certificate came back damaged, somehow. It's a certified copy from the city clerk in NYC (where they were married), glossy on one side and it came back all blackened... unreadable. I guess this must have happened when they scanned it in (?)... I have no idea. Either way, my father is not going to be very happy when he returns home from holiday... hopefully it's not too hard a document to replace.

Last edited by NickW; May 26th 2010 at 2:39 pm.
Old May 26th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Okay, thanks for the advice! So, if I don't renew my passport in the UK, can I in fact travel back to the US two days before my passport runs out? I am a greencard holder, if that makes any difference.
Old May 26th 2010, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

rfoy88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in England but moved to Canada with my parents in 1967 as a child on their passport. I have applied for a British passport but wonder if anyone knows how long the delays are for first time adult applicants. I sent my application March 24, the payment was taken from my credit card on April 14.
Thanks for any replies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.