Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paris - 13/11/2015

Paris - 13/11/2015

Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris - 13/11/2015

I wonder if just leaving things alone in the region would help reduce these sorts of things? Seems after 15+ years bombing and military action hasn't solved anything and only created new issues.

One of the attackers apparently had been flagged for having extremist views, and one apparently entered through Greece in October.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski mentions internment. Does he suggest that the entire Muslim population of France should be interned ? And then ? Deported ? Dealt with in a "Final Solution" ?
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wonder if just leaving things alone in the region would help reduce these sorts of things? Seems after 15+ years bombing and military action hasn't solved anything and only created new issues.
You've got to think that, haven't you. These people don't seem to want democracy bombed into them, so let me got on with it. Concentrate on securing our borders (and I don't mean the close them) and eradicating these people from our society seems like the way forward to me.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Root out the population in which the terrorists are embedded. WWII wasn't won by embracing the Japanese and Germans, they were interned. I am not sure France is ready for mass internment and deportations, at least not yet.
I don't think interning the Japanese population of the U.S., including U.S. Citizens, played any role whatsoever in the allied victory in WWII.

Hard to see any WWII analogies. As other posts in this thread have suggested, you go to war with a state; not a terrorist organisation. Supposedly "going to war" after 9/11 was, arguably, the beginning (or at least the massive escalation) of this whole mess we're now in.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wonder if just leaving things alone in the region would help reduce these sorts of things? Seems after 15+ years bombing and military action hasn't solved anything and only created new issues. .....
As far as I remember the west left the Middle East fairly well alone between 1991 (Kuwait - Gulf War I), and August 2002. ..... Clinton lobbed a volley of cruis missiles into Afghanistan in 1998, I think) That period came to an abrupt end.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 7:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If we have Trident why can't we use it ? We spend enormous sums on a weapons system that is totally useless. Who is it supposed to deter ?
Are you suggesting we Nuke the Middle East? How do we do that without severe long term environmental damage (ie Nuclear Winter)

Trident isn't there to protect against ISIS, it's there to protect against North Korea or some other rogue nuclear nation.

Honestly, that's solve it all with a Mushroom cloud!

Pulaski mentions internment. Does he suggest that the entire Muslim population of France should be interned ? And then ? Deported ? Dealt with in a "Final Solution" ?
Goodwin's Law is back...
Old Nov 14th 2015, 7:20 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I have read all that BS. It does not convince me. We are spending zillions on a system that is designed to destroy Russian cities. Are you telling me that is the source of the threat we face ?
Your presumption is that everyone has good intent. As you do. But in the real world, not everyone is motivated solely by "social fairness and equality for all". In fact, there are quite a few who are pretty self centered in their intent, and have little interest in whether we "work together toward a better world".

Do you believe that there aren't Russian ICBMs programmed to target all major European cities? You can rationalise that they "have a right to defend themselves", but if there were no deterrent, do you seriously believe that the likes of Putin would hesitate to use that threat in an attempt to "annex" parts of Europe? Or take it over completely?

Please. You may have the best intentions, but others do not. MAD is our best defence against that, as has been proven time after time.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 7:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski mentions internment. Does he suggest that the entire Muslim population of France should be interned ? And then ? Deported ....
Until we, or them muslims themselves can find a reliable way to identify radicals and preempt their attacks, then I see no other more effective plan. ..... And the common factor appears to be islam, and not ethnicity or nationality, as white/western converts have been implicated in radicization, as have western-born arabs, with Al-Awlaki being a prime example.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 7:42 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But that was EXACTLY the theory and rationale for invading Afghanistan - and all it did was to spread Al Qaeda cells throughout the Middle East. ..... You are right about the chaos though, but maybe not quite how you meant.
So what do you suggest? Capitulation? Somehow, I wouldn't buy that even if you said so. You just aren't from that ilk.

We need to clip this bird of its wings, before it becomes completely unmanageable. "internment" won't change that. And even as you seem to suggest (re: invading afghanistan) it would likely only make it worse.

The leadership knows well what they are doing. They know very well how to create the right messages to recruit their gullible followers, they know who to target with their propaganda, and how to get to them. And the people they recruit are nothing more than expendable "soldiers" who are guaranteed some sort of paradise in their afterlife. They don't care about the fate of these people. Their brainwashing is for one purpose only.

But there are only a handful that are that skillful. There aren't zillions of them (yet).

Seems to me that a double tap to the head is a good start. Before it becomes "too big to fail".
Old Nov 14th 2015, 7:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
So what do you suggest? Capitulation? Somehow, I wouldn't buy that even if you said so. You just aren't from that ilk.

We need to clip this bird of its wings, before it becomes completely unmanageable. "internment" won't change that. And even as you seem to suggest (re: invading afghanistan) it would likely only make it worse.

The leadership knows well what they are doing. They know very well how to create the right messages to recruit their gullible followers, they know who to target with their propaganda, and how to get to them. And the people they recruit are nothing more than expendable "soldiers" who are guaranteed some sort of paradise in their afterlife. They don't care about the fate of these people. Their brainwashing is for one purpose only.

But there are only a handful that are that skillful. There aren't zillions of them (yet).

Seems to me that a double tap to the head is a good start. Before it becomes "too big to fail".
If it was that simple, I suspect that we'd have done this already. I'm guessing it's not that simple.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
If it was that simple, I suspect that we'd have done this already. I'm guessing it's not that simple.
Well, it's not all that complicated either. "The west" with it's aversion to engaging in anything resembling "war" as of late, has been pretty passive against this enemy. Obama promised "no boots on the ground", Europeans would never dream of such a thing. The UK, well, we all know the sentiments there.

But these are animals, who seem willing to stop at nothing. They conduct horrific attacks, while we wallow in our pacifism.

Fact is, if not for our unwillingness to defend ourselves (or our wishful thinking that it isn't necessary), we could have stopped this long ago. But not without engaging in things that we find deplorable. Including the collateral damage that will inevitably result. In our society, even one civilian casualty is political suicide.

Instead, we sit back and allow the enemy to conduct deplorable acts against us on both foreign soil, and our own. And all the time avoiding the inevitable. It isn't about one country or another. These people are bent on destruction without borders.

Of course it's not what we want, but how many more attacks and horrific acts are we willing to put up with? Cut them off. In short order. Or else deal with something that's far less defeatable.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well, it's not all that complicated either. "The west" with it's aversion to engaging in anything resembling "war" as of late, has been pretty passive against this enemy. Obama promised "no boots on the ground", Europeans would never dream of such a thing. The UK, well, we all know the sentiments there.

But these are animals, who seem willing to stop at nothing. They conduct horrific attacks, while we wallow in our pacifism.

Fact is, if not for our unwillingness to defend ourselves (or our wishful thinking that it isn't necessary), we could have stopped this long ago. But not without engaging in things that we find deplorable. Including the collateral damage that will inevitably result. In our society, even one civilian casualty is political suicide.

Instead, we sit back and allow the enemy to conduct deplorable acts against us on both foreign soil, and our own. And all the time avoiding the inevitable. It isn't about one country or another. These people are bent on destruction without borders.

Of course it's not what we want, but how many more attacks and horrific acts are we willing to put up with? Cut them off. In short order. Or else deal with something that's far less defeatable.
If only you were in charge! Everything would be sorted out in short order!
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Is there room for Islam. and those who follow Islam, in secular Western democracy?

And if not...
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Is there room for Islam. and those who follow Islam, in secular Western democracy?

And if not...
There are millions of good Muslim citizens in Western democracies. There does seem to be a problem with disgruntled young men who've found a mission more engrossing than the traditional petty vandalism etc., though.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
If only you were in charge! Everything would be sorted out in short order!
Probably. But I'd probably also be accused of "war crimes" or "genocide" for wiping them out in "short order", regardless of how much care taken to avoid damage to innocents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.