Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Orange Country - Tax Insurance and Jobs (spouse)

Orange Country - Tax Insurance and Jobs (spouse)

Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Orange Country - Tax Insurance and Jobs (spouse)

Hi Again!
I need to if I can afford to line in a rented a 3 bed house in a decent area of Orlando - I believe this will cost around $1500 month for this.

Can someone fill in the details .. ?
My salary will be $80,000 PA
What do I need to deduct for income tax, state tax, other local government fees to pay for refuse collection etc
I believe the company offer Medical / Dental Insurance which I will pay them for. Is it too wide a question to know what that would be roughly?
I will need a car but don't mind second hand / cheap. Is it easy to pick up a decent 3 year old mid size car ? for how much?
Anything else ..?

Jobs
I will be on a L1B visa and my wife will want to work too. She has worked part time in a bank for 20 years in the UK. How easy is it to pick up bank / office based work over there and how long should she expect to be looking for work? She brings in £10k a year in the Uk and I suppose I would hope her to do the same in Orlando (ie $15kpa)

Thanks again folks!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orange Country - Tax Insurance and Jobs (spouse)

I would think she would pick a teller position really quickly as the bank where my daughter works seems to have revolving door for teller jobs. In TX a teller earns about $11 - $12 an hour so I should imagine it would be slightly higher in Orlando. I have no idea about resumes but it might be worth picking brains on the forum before your wife applies for any jobs. Lots of tellers jobs are part-time.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Roughly, you will lose about 30% to taxes of one sort or another, maybe a little less because Florida has no state income tax in Florida. So you'll probably net around $58,000-$60,000.

Your share of the cost of family medical insurance will likely be between $300 and $800/mth, largely at your option as to how much you are prepared to pay out of your pocket before the insurance kicks in. If you are reasonably healthy, you will likley be better off taking the cheaper insurance with the higher "deductible", and salting some (tax deductible) money away in a Health Savings Account.

"Fairly new" cars are relatively expensive in the US, whereas you can get great deals on new cars. Take a look at, and speak to International Autosource for credit deals on new cars - a and a car loan is a great way to kick start your US credit history.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 17th 2015 at 5:47 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007fair
Hi Again!
I need to if I can afford to line in a rented a 3 bed house in a decent area of Orlando - I believe this will cost around $1500 month for this.

Can someone fill in the details .. ?
My salary will be $80,000 PA
What do I need to deduct for income tax, state tax, other local government fees to pay for refuse collection etc
I believe the company offer Medical / Dental Insurance which I will pay them for. Is it too wide a question to know what that would be roughly?
I will need a car but don't mind second hand / cheap. Is it easy to pick up a decent 3 year old mid size car ? for how much?
Anything else ..?

Jobs
I will be on a L1B visa and my wife will want to work too. She has worked part time in a bank for 20 years in the UK. How easy is it to pick up bank / office based work over there and how long should she expect to be looking for work? She brings in £10k a year in the Uk and I suppose I would hope her to do the same in Orlando (ie $15kpa)

Thanks again folks!
$1500 per month sounds a bit light to me - in my neighborhood a decent 3 bed house with a pool is at least $2k.
If you are renting, you don't need to worry about 'local government fees' because they are collected via property taxes levied against the owner, not the renter.

Income tax is a little more complex than 'guesstimating' a percentage of your gross salary and is very dependent on who and what you can claim allowances for. You are required to submit an annual tax return and until you are fully conversant with US federal and state tax protocol, you'd be well advised to retain a competent CPA to do it for you (I'd be more than happy to recommend mine).

As a VERY rough guide, I think you should think in terms of 20-25% of gross.

Health insurance is such a huge variable that it's impossible to guide you without a lot of specifics - some programs are great, others properly stink. You need to get all of the details on this from your employer, prior to any decisions, because a plan that covers a large family, any pre-existing conditions and a high deductible could chew up a massive slice of your available income.

Used cars are generally at the very least 50-60% more expensive than UK counterparts and often have to the moon and back miles on them. Getting an auto loan from the get-go is going to be difficult without a co-sign. You may have to lower the bar regarding your vehicular expectations until you establish some credit history - or use a resource like International Autosource to secure a loan before you leave UK. If your wife intends to work, chances are she'll need a car too.

Your wife will need an EAD in order to apply for work - I'm unable to comment on how easy it would be for her to secure a job, but it's competitive here.

Whereabouts will your job be located? I ask, because that could have a quite significant impact on some of the above. SunRail notwithstanding, Orlando isn't a particularly commuter friendly place.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjmb
In TX a teller earns about $11 - $12 an hour so I should imagine it would be slightly higher in Orlando.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Roughly, you will lose about 30% to taxes of one sort or another
Thx Thats very useful jjmb / Pulaski
Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
$1500 per month sounds a bit light to me - in my neighborhood a decent 3 bed house with a pool is at least $2k.
SunRail notwithstanding, Orlando isn't a particularly commuter friendly place.
Hope this helps.
Yeah I fear 1500 may be the bottom rung and may be not enough.
I know Americans rely on cars and their cities are built round them so we may need to budget for two cars although i would rather not !

I think the office is a few miles north of the international airport
Old Sep 17th 2015, 8:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you are bringing your son over to study here at high school (did you decide on that?) then choose the high school you want him to go to first, look at the catchment area, get the postcodes and try places like Zillow.com to get a rough idea of rents for that school area.

Your wife's EAD will probably take a couple of months to come through.

IAS is a great way to go to get a car.

AIG Inbound is a great service!! Well worth $450ish that it costs for the year. We saved that on the first 6 months of car insurance that they did for us. They got us a non-secured credit card once we had social security numbers and then helped us find a great mortgage when we'd only been here 6 months.
http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...861-254888.pdf