Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Online bachelor degree in USA

Online bachelor degree in USA

Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online bachelor degree in USA

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Given that it's an accredited university
Are you sure about that? Very few UK universities are accredited in the US.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:02 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devon dumpling
I have been reading this thread with interest as a current UK-based OU student and was wondering how an OU degree would be regarded in the US? Would it be as disparaged as it seems the US based distance learning degrees are?
Don't confuse distance learning through an accredited school with a degree through a for profit school.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Are you sure about that? Very few UK universities are accredited in the US.
Sorry, accredited in the UK instead of being someone with a laser printer and a supply of fancy paper.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
As Tarkak9 already mentioned - but it's so important that I'll repeat it - make sure that the institution is accredited, otherwise you'll end up splurging a lot of money on something that's worth about as much as a diploma you printed at home.

I'd also very carefully compare the costs of tuition, unfortunately any sort of college or university education over here costs big bucks...

If you're "just" after the education without the piece of paper, there are some well-known universities that put the lectures etc up online for free.
Stupid question, but how do you check if the institution is truly accredited and whether their qualifications are worth anything? I'm wondering because there are institutions listed on the US Dept of Education database as accredited which were heavily criticised for offering poor quality courses on a documentary I saw recently.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
Stupid question, but how do you check if the institution is truly accredited and whether their qualifications are worth anything? I'm wondering because there are institutions listed on the US Dept of Education database as accredited which were heavily criticised for offering poor quality courses on a documentary I saw recently.
Accredited institutions don't generally advertise on late night TV.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Accredited institutions don't generally advertise on late night TV.
LOL, how true! Mind you, there's been adverts for the State University on TV lately...
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:13 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for a for-profit computer college here in Wisconsin a few years ago, and their greed for "customers" was abhorrent. Their one and only course provided the students with Microsoft certifications, but it cost them about $65,000 for the complete package (which lasted six months). The students who weren't book smart were encouraged to enroll anyway, and would drop out a few weeks into the course, leaving a massive loan to pay out with nothing to show for it. And these students were usually the ones who didn't have high school diplomas and really needed a break.

And the worst part is that they were, and still are, accredited. Oooh, I'd love to name and shame them on here, but one of my best friends still works there and I'd hate to embarrass her. Grr.