Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Online bachelor degree in USA

Online bachelor degree in USA

Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online bachelor degree in USA

Has anyone done one of these? I'm looking into doing one in my spare time and would appreciate any recommendations or "don't use this one" experience!

Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:32 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online bachelor degree in USA

Originally Posted by FlatDog
Has anyone done one of these? I'm looking into doing one in my spare time and would appreciate any recommendations or "don't use this one" experience!

Thanks.
You're thinking of becoming a phoenix??.... ITTTech-y??
How are they (or a particular one) treated by prospective employers?

N.B. Not all are going to be credited institutions... ie recognized; so you may run into problems with that... esp if you're thinking of transferring accumulated credits.

Are community colleges and their on-line programs an option?

Don't automatically go for their 'student financing/loans' ... read up on them! - take out or include such loan in your term life insurance policy!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

As Tarkak9 already mentioned - but it's so important that I'll repeat it - make sure that the institution is accredited, otherwise you'll end up splurging a lot of money on something that's worth about as much as a diploma you printed at home.

I'd also very carefully compare the costs of tuition, unfortunately any sort of college or university education over here costs big bucks...

If you're "just" after the education without the piece of paper, there are some well-known universities that put the lectures etc up online for free.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you're doing a degree to help you professionally... then the answer would depend on your profession. If you're doing it because you want to, then there are many fine US online programs. There are several totally online universities. The one with the most money to spend on marketing is University of Phoenix, but it's by no means the only one, or the best.

Maybe it's just me... but given the choice between an online degree by a totally online university, and an online degree by a brick/mortar university that also offers online degrees... I'd opt for the latter instead of the former.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're doing a degree to help you professionally... then the answer would depend on your profession. If you're doing it because you want to, then there are many fine US online programs. There are several totally online universities. The one with the most money to spend on marketing is University of Phoenix, but it's by no means the only one, or the best.

Maybe it's just me... but given the choice between an online degree by a totally online university, and an online degree by a brick/mortar university that also offers online degrees... I'd opt for the latter instead of the former.
Ian
Me too.

It may well be that online universities and degrees become more accepted/acceptable, but I think currently there is still a perception (possibly justified) that distance-learning, online, part-time, etc., are not "as good", so getting a degree online at a university that predominantly educates students full-time, on-campus will probably be better respected. Whether or not that is fair is a separate issue, but I think that's the current perception of many employers.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:52 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the fact that University of Phoenix prices are astro-bloody-nomical. Just stupidly, unjustifiably high.

...and my corporation tends to steer clear of anyone with an online-only degree.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

As I'm employed full-time, I don't think I can do the traditional on-campus ones due to time. All good feedback though, keep it coming.

Last edited by FlatDog; Feb 9th 2011 at 7:34 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

As I'm employed full-time, I don't think I can do the traditional on-campus ones due to time. All goof feedback though, keep it coming.
No, I think the suggestion was that you could do a class at a time online, offered via a traditional university - no different than what you were originally suggesting, just offered by a regular university. Doesn't have to be full-time.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

ah, ok. Thanks!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

nigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to all

This isn't answering your question, but it may give you an idea for an alternative. Why not find out if you can study with the OU (www.open.ac.uk) even though you're in the US?

-Nigel
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You're in Boston.

Go to Northwestern and get in-state rates, can do some of the classes in person, or do them online. It's a good uni too.

Quite a few in Boston have online options though, so ring around, some are better than others.

I wouldn't touch a online only place with a barge pole as the qualification wouldn't be respected or worth the paper it's printed on, so you might as well give me the money and I'll shit in a brown paper bag for you
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel_horne
This isn't answering your question, but it may give you an idea for an alternative. Why not find out if you can study with the OU (www.open.ac.uk) even though you're in the US?

-Nigel
You can't.

If you've started a course in the UK, you can potentially finish it whilst in the US, but you can't register as an overseas student.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
You can't.

If you've started a course in the UK, you can potentially finish it whilst in the US, but you can't register as an overseas student.
Actually you can study while you're overseas as they state on this page:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/

IIRC you'll end up paying much higher tuition, though.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:37 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut

That's just the Home page. I think this page is more specific to studying while overseas:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/contact/quest...S&cat=1-1GSR1Z

In particular, this question may be relevant to this thread:

"I am a UK National temporarily and unavoidably resident outside the UK. Can I pay UK course/module fees?

If you are temporarily and unavoidably working outside the UK for a period of less than 3 years, and your main place of residence is still deemed to be the UK, you will still be classified as ordinarily resident in the UK and therefore eligible to pay UK fees.

If you are a member of the British Armed Forces or have UK diplomatic status and are using a BFPO address while you are resident outside of the UK, you can pay UK fees during your time outside the UK.

If you work for the FCO, the MOD, the UKTI or a similar government organisation and were appointed to your post whilst resident outside the UK, then you may not be eligible to pay the UK fees even if you are eligible to use a BFPO address.

If you are resident outside the UK for reasons other than work, or you are not sure if you are eligible to pay the UK fee, please contact us on 0845 300 60 90 before registering.

Please note that if you are eligible to pay UK course/module fees:

If you choose to use a non-UK Home address, you will need to provide us with a UK delivery address for delivery of course/module materials and arrange for them to be forwarded to your overseas address at your own cost;
Where your chosen course/module has an examination, you may have to apply and pay for an overseas examination if you choose to sit your examination outside the UK. For more information, please refer to Will I have to apply and pay for an overseas examination?

Where your chosen course/module has an integral residential school, to successfully complete your course, you will either need to return to the UK to attend a face to face school, or, where available, undertake the Alternative Learning Experience. Please note that neither option will incur any additional fees.

To find out more information about what you can study, go to our Studying outside the UK website."
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut

You can study, but you can't sign up for a new course whilst out of the UK.

It's come up on BE quite a few times in the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.