Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One week in - Bozeman - Montana

One week in - Bozeman - Montana

Old Jul 15th 2017, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute
Default One week in - Bozeman - Montana

Hi - I thought I would do a bit of an update on our journey to Montana.

We arrived into Bozeman last Friday 7th July. The journey was long but pretty much hassle free. The immigration side of thing pretty much went smoothly but I knew I had all the correct paperwork and followed the advice of others on here, which was great.
On arrival we headed to the hotel where we will be staying for the next month, the company had layed of a great apartment style room in a nice hotel and left us a car to use and welcome hamper with essential to get us going.

I have split the following days.

Day 1 Saturday - Due to the altitude and weather here we decided to take it easy and just did a bit of shopping and checked out the hotel a bit more. A pretty chilled out day really to get our bodies in Sync.

Day 2 Sunday - We travelled up to the plant where I will be working to get the route and times sorted for when I start work. Explored the area a bit and checked on some property addresses that we had made appointments for the coming week.

Day 3 - Monday - House viewings most of the day, appointments at various agents.
We also set up a USA bank account - this was difficult as we had no Social Security number, no phone number and no fixed address. The bank were extremely helpful and we got around most of the hurdles by contacting the hotel and them allowing us to use the details here. A trip to the main branch in town and done - debit card and account all set up.

Day 4 Tuesday - House viewings, shopping. town sights - but most of all Social security number.
We visited the office which happened to be round the corner from the hotel, this process was easy. Again though I had all documentation ready and complete. You can check this online before you go and it gives you good information. The only thig I didn't have was the i-94 this is no longer issued at the point of entry and you print it off yourself. We also needed to take our marriage certificate to the office to prove L2 Spouse status. So that was done and now we have to wait for the card to arrive in the post.

Day 5 Wednesday - 2nd house viewing on a couple of properties we liked. looked into utilities and cable also Cell phones - this was the biggest shock to us. The cost of the services is very expensive - cell $100PM - Cable $130PM - Utilities G&E $200PM, Chill out day after this.

Day 6 - Thursday - Decided on a property and set up a meeting for Friday. Transferred cash to US bank account - we used transferwise for this, We have also been using a monzo card for purchases and getting 1.29 exchange which I think is good (no charges). We then headed to the next town and into the hills for a drive out for picnic and explore.

Day 7 - Friday - Secured the property we wanted and agreed a move in date also paid security deposit via cashier cheque - pretty straight forward but cost $6 to do. Headed into the Forrest accompanied by bear spray to find palidise falls South Bozeman.

Sp there you have it our first week, we are surprisingly missing home even after a week but we are feeling comfortable, we have set ourselves up the best we can an think things will come together and be better once we are in our own property and working. I need some routine in my life..... and fishing lol

Feel free to comment or question as you feel, anything we missed we should be doing or any help I can give out would be great.

All the best

Damo
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One week in - Bozeman - Montana

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
My wife and I loved Bozeman when we were there a few years ago. We were en route to West Yellowstone because my stepson was running in the inaugural half-marathon. So... if you get a chance to visit Yellowstone - it's one of the most beautiful national parks in the US. If you're there... don't miss seeing Old Faithful and the Grand Prismatic Spring. Have fun.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2017, 12:04 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teanmontana

We arrived into Bozeman last Friday 7th July. The journey was long but pretty much hassle free. The immigration side of thing pretty much went smoothly but I knew I had all the correct paperwork and followed the advice of others on here, which was great.
On arrival we headed to the hotel where we will be staying for the next month, the company had layed of a great apartment style room in a nice hotel and left us a car to use and welcome hamper with essential to get us going.

I have split the following days.

Day 1 Saturday - Due to the altitude and weather here we decided to take it easy and just did a bit of shopping and checked out the hotel a bit more. A pretty chilled out day really to get our bodies in Sync.

Day 2 Sunday - We travelled up to the plant where I will be working to get the route and times sorted for when I start work. Explored the area a bit and checked on some property addresses that we had made appointments for the coming week.

Day 3 - Monday - House viewings most of the day, appointments at various agents.
We also set up a USA bank account - this was difficult as we had no Social Security number, no phone number and no fixed address. The bank were extremely helpful and we got around most of the hurdles by contacting the hotel and them allowing us to use the details here. A trip to the main branch in town and done - debit card and account all set up.

Day 4 Tuesday - House viewings, shopping. town sights - but most of all Social security number.
We visited the office which happened to be round the corner from the hotel, this process was easy. Again though I had all documentation ready and complete. You can check this online before you go and it gives you good information. The only thig I didn't have was the i-94 this is no longer issued at the point of entry and you print it off yourself. We also needed to take our marriage certificate to the office to prove L2 Spouse status. So that was done and now we have to wait for the card to arrive in the post.

Day 5 Wednesday - 2nd house viewing on a couple of properties we liked. looked into utilities and cable also Cell phones - this was the biggest shock to us. The cost of the services is very expensive - cell $100PM - Cable $130PM - Utilities G&E $200PM, Chill out day after this.

Day 6 - Thursday - Decided on a property and set up a meeting for Friday. Transferred cash to US bank account - we used transferwise for this, We have also been using a monzo card for purchases and getting 1.29 exchange which I think is good (no charges). We then headed to the next town and into the hills for a drive out for picnic and explore.

Day 7 - Friday - Secured the property we wanted and agreed a move in date also paid security deposit via cashier cheque - pretty straight forward but cost $6 to do. Headed into the Forrest accompanied by bear spray to find palidise falls South Bozeman.

Sp there you have it our first week, we are surprisingly missing home even after a week but we are feeling comfortable, we have set ourselves up the best we can an think things will come together and be better once we are in our own property and working. I need some routine in my life..... and fishing lol

Feel free to comment or question as you feel, anything we missed we should be doing or any help I can give out would be great.

All the best

Damo
Well cell phone seems a bit over the top, at least for one. Cable is a bit steep. Gas Electric water etc is somewhat dependent on usage.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the US. Sounds like you did a hell of a lot in one week's time.

On the cable, I think you got away cheap. We pay $156.65 per month down here and that is without any premium channels but does include internet/wireless and landline. Yup, we still use the landline. Our cells are only $99.00 per month with text for both our phones via Verizon. Gas and electric seems a bit high but that is really only an estimate for you since you have yet to move into your new place and have a few months of bills based on actual usage under your belt. Now you have to look into auto shopping, car insurance and the cost of fuel to get you back and forth to work. Have you checked out supermarkets yet?
Old Jul 15th 2017, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've been having fun!

If your internet is decent you may want to look at the cable cutting services - Such as PlayStation Vue, Direct TV Now, Sling TV.

For phones I'd take a look at the different operators and check their coverage.

For me I have t-mobile. It's far cheaper, but the coverage isn't great once I head out towards the mountains. However, we do that only a couple times and so the extra money isn't worth it.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 2:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Sounds like you've been having fun!

If your internet is decent you may want to look at the cable cutting services - Such as PlayStation Vue, Direct TV Now, Sling TV.

For phones I'd take a look at the different operators and check their coverage.

For me I have t-mobile. It's far cheaper, but the coverage isn't great once I head out towards the mountains. However, we do that only a couple times and so the extra money isn't worth it.
+1
I have internet+phone for $70 a month. No cable. Apparently teenagers have a way around such things (don't ask).
another t-mobile advocate. Although you could look at the mvno services too.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

T-Mobile has very little native coverage in Montana at the moment so it's not even worth considering. I'm not sure they even let you sign up in most of the state?
Old Jul 15th 2017, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies - once again valuable info.

We are in the process of car insurance and we have checked out supermarkets which are comparable to UK for most things. Electrical items seem a little cheaper.

D
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that you arrived safely and that your first week has proved productive.

Exciting but somewhat scary times - reminds me of when I arrived back in 2000. You'll soon find yourself "at home".

Keep in touch.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Glad to hear that you arrived safely and that your first week has proved productive.

Exciting but somewhat scary times - reminds me of when I arrived back in 2000. You'll soon find yourself "at home".

Keep in touch.
Thanks SDG, yes we finally made it. Thanks for your help along the way. Unfortunately our daughter didn't end up coming with us and has stayed in the UK to pursue her own adventures.

D
Old Jul 16th 2017, 6:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What you missed the earthquake by a day!!! And we had it just for you.

Dunno how you're paying that much for a cellphone. I've got a cellphone in Montana, it doesn't cost anything like that much, it's peanuts, I think it's $100 a year but then it's just an old flip phone. Only Verizon has decent coverage in Montana. I had to get a Verizon phone in case of breakdowns.

Bozeman is the best place in Montana to buy a car. I share that tip with you in case you're tempted to look elsewhere.

And here's another tip - Washington will let you claim back their sales tax if you're from a jurisdiction that doesn't have one, which Montana doesn't, so if you want to drive to Spokane to get stuff, you can claim back the sales tax. I think they did this on purpose to get people from Montana to shop there.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoy reading other folks experiences.

For your Utilities the $200 they quote is that instead of a security deposit? We had to pay a deposit for our electricity which they then used for our bill I think 6 months later.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
What you missed the earthquake by a day!!! And we had it just for you.

Dunno how you're paying that much for a cellphone. I've got a cellphone in Montana, it doesn't cost anything like that much, it's peanuts, I think it's $100 a year but then it's just an old flip phone. Only Verizon has decent coverage in Montana. I had to get a Verizon phone in case of breakdowns.

Bozeman is the best place in Montana to buy a car. I share that tip with you in case you're tempted to look elsewhere.

And here's another tip - Washington will let you claim back their sales tax if you're from a jurisdiction that doesn't have one, which Montana doesn't, so if you want to drive to Spokane to get stuff, you can claim back the sales tax. I think they did this on purpose to get people from Montana to shop there.
Yes we did see about the earthquake, pretty common around here from what I hear.
Verizon seems the best for cell coverage, but they are the prices in the shop - better phone more price etc. But i'm sure the pay as you go way approx $40 a month without a phone ($90).

Bozeman has loads of cars for sale - we have used the information given on here and went will international auto source and brought a new jeep. Price on this was good but the Auto insurance for an immigrant is astronomical. Over $200 per month for two cars.

Thanks D
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lanyu

I always enjoy reading other folks experiences.

For your Utilities the $200 they quote is that instead of a security deposit? We had to pay a deposit for our electricity which they then used for our bill I think 6 months later.
Yes it was been quite an experience so far, expensive as well. We are OK but will not have the free funds we had in the UK at least not for now anyway.

The $200 per month is just a quotation, I am awaiting a response from them once they have done the meters. Hopefully they will set us up OK after that.

It does seem that as soon as they know you are an expat the price goes up lol lol