Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

oh my word... leaving the UK in FIVE DAYS!!!

oh my word... leaving the UK in FIVE DAYS!!!

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:46 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: oh my word... leaving the UK in FIVE DAYS!!!

Originally Posted by Lilly77
Hey everyone, well, we're in LA!!! Finding it quite stressful driving around trying to view apartments/houses with 2 kids in tow.
Wow, this brings back memories ... not of our most recent move, but the previous ones. The hell of driving around strange areas in a strange car with everyone just recovering from jetlag looking out the windows at very weird scenery and making cranky comments. Bless!

Once you find a place, even if it's not perfect, the family stress levels should ebb a bit.

Loving the weather though!!!!
Haha! I remember those days too... when the blue skies and sunshine every day was SUCH pleasant shock.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jul 23rd 2014 at 11:50 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:32 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if your married then they may not process both ssn applications on the same day.

when i did it in 2007 - it had to be submitted the next day or something so that me and my husband did not end up with consecutive numbers or something like that.

Its only a dim memory so i may be completely wrong or out of date tho lol.

you can go into the office the NEXT day and get a screen print out of your ssn number - while you wait for the application to wend its way through the system and a card to reach you. once you have the number you can start to use it. the card may not actually turn up for weeks.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:52 pm
dodgin' the potholes

1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: oh my word... leaving the UK in FIVE DAYS!!!

Originally Posted by MsElui
if your married then they may not process both ssn applications on the same day.

when i did it in 2007 - it had to be submitted the next day or something so that me and my husband did not end up with consecutive numbers or something like that.

Its only a dim memory so i may be completely wrong or out of date tho lol.

you can go into the office the NEXT day and get a screen print out of your ssn number - while you wait for the application to wend its way through the system and a card to reach you. once you have the number you can start to use it. the card may not actually turn up for weeks.
Thanks, that's useful to know as we'll need to apply for our Georgia driving license (as you only get 30 days on your International License in Georgia) and I think we'll need our SSN to do that, and also to apply for an EAD
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:07 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

oh and by the way, the last 5 days in the uk were HELL!!!! I've never looked so forward to a plane journey in my life!! Very stressful, constant insomnia, kids all over the place. And having to bin loads of items we didn't sell or ship. I really REALLY wish we had sorted everything sooner so that we could have the last 5 days of London and spend it eating curries, seeing friends and visiting places we'd miss.
Anyway we're here now, not homesick - just a lot of things to overcome before we relax!!

BTW, we're off to the social security office tomorrow, so if anyone could give us any tips on what happens there ;-)
Just think of how much more relaxed things would have been if you had devoted your final days to real ale and curry. Sometimes you just need to listen to the experts!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
Wait until you go to the DMV ....they are a right miserable bunch
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:28 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Last five days in UK....

26th February 2011 departed Britain.

21st February, woke up in temporary accommodation, feeling homeless. Spent the day walking the streets of the near deserted small town where I grew up. The overarching sense of boredom got quite oppressive. Went into the Wimpy bar one lunchtime for a hamburger. We sat next to a young couple who were having their weekly treat. How depressing.

The next 4 days followed a similar pattern of killing time. Our house had been sold on 12th January 2011, our furniture etc was travelling as sea cargo en route to destination.

Oh, I almost forgot, February 22nd, we woke up to a text message from husband's sister: Earthquake in Christchurch, NZ. Sixty five people confirmed dead.............the death toll had not yet reached it's total. It was Christchurch that we were going to and arrived there in March 2011.

We went to London for the evening and I saw the Millennium wheel all lit up with blue lights like normal. I bought a copy of the Evening Standard which had the early photos of the Christchurch earthquakes.

The morning of the day we left we went to my Dad's house for breakfast as my sister and her kids had come over too. A taxi came and took us to the airport around midday. It rained all the way to the airport whilst the song lyric, 'could have had it all' went round and round in my head.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 26th 2014 at 3:43 am. Reason: march 2011