Reload this Page >

Off to Richmond Hil, GA

Off to Richmond Hil, GA

Old Jul 21st 2017, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Off to Richmond Hil, GA

Hi all,

Well we were all ready to move to Naples, Fl but husband's company stated that they no longer want employees working out of state. This was 6 weeks after they said initially it wouldn't be a problem.

So we have found what seems to be a nice town with good schools in south Georgia. Still good weather most of the year, near the water for me to dive and near to a race track for the other half.

Anyone near Richmond Hill/ Savannah area that can recommend best furniture stores, used car sales or any other useful wisdom they would like to share?

Also really struggling to find temp accommodation in RH for the first month, as we really do not fancy a hotel room that that long with me, hubby and 9 yr old son. If anyone has any suggestions that would also be great. Tried Airbnb, but finding these are like $4k a month

Hubby will be on a L1b, and they should be sending off petition next 2 weeks on premium processing. We are hoping to leave UK at the end of September if all goes well.

Thanks
Claire
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:14 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to Richmond Hil, GA

Have the company provided a relocation agent to help you? If so, they should be doing the accommodation hunting with you

I moved on an L1 with just me, no agent or anything. I'd highly recommend flying over once your visa is approved for a week or 2 to scope out area's, drive around, and find a place to live.

I flew out for 1 week 2 month's prior to moving to the US, in that week i secured an apartment, opened a bank account and got a good feel for the new area i was going to be calling home
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply.

I would prefer to do it myself as I am not sure I would feel easy someone else doing it, but the company is paying.
There really is no option to come and do a sighting trip before hand, due to my work. I definitely would have preferred to do this though.

Claire
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Are you happy that you are leaving Bracknell
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Are you happy that you are leaving Bracknell
Haha, very 😀
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:25 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearclaire1
Thanks for the reply.

I would prefer to do it myself as I am not sure I would feel easy someone else doing it, but the company is paying.
There really is no option to come and do a sighting trip before hand, due to my work. I definitely would have preferred to do this though.

Claire
Really would urge you to re-consider - if you're being offered a relocation agent to help - take the offer, especially if you cannot fly over yourself. If my company had offered me an agent I'd have bitten their hand off, but i facilitated and asked for my move so dealt with it myself.

Is there any scope for your husband to fly over beforehand as your work won't allow the time?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There really is no option to come and do a sighting trip before hand, due to my work.
You're moving to the US... what difference would it make?

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're moving to the US... what difference would it make?

Ian
I would still like to get paid until I leave, and I have no holidays left to take either. I won't be able to work for at least 90 days, so need all the money can I can earn.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Really would urge you to re-consider - if you're being offered a relocation agent to help - take the offer, especially if you cannot fly over yourself. If my company had offered me an agent I'd have bitten their hand off, but i facilitated and asked for my move so dealt with it myself.

Is there any scope for your husband to fly over beforehand as your work won't allow the time?
There has been no offer of a relocation agent. And not sure he can be trusted to sort everything out on his own
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I would consider this a good bit of surprising news. I prefer Savannah to Naples. Savannah is a very unique place and it is still coastal - though Georgia does get it's cold moments in winter. The Fort Myers/Naples area has just exploded in population the past 20 years and its infrastructure has been unable to cope with the growth which has resulted in ghastly traffic, unsightly construction and so on.

Additionally . . . Miami used to be called "God's Waiting Room" due to the volume of retirees moving down there . . . in the 1990s, when the demographics of the area changed dramatically and prices started rising, those looking for "God's Waiting Room" shifted laterally across the state to Ft Myers/Naples . . .
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carcajou
I would consider this a good bit of surprising news. I prefer Savannah to Naples. Savannah is a very unique place and it is still coastal - though Georgia does get it's cold moments in winter. The Fort Myers/Naples area has just exploded in population the past 20 years and its infrastructure has been unable to cope with the growth which has resulted in ghastly traffic, unsightly construction and so on.

Additionally . . . Miami used to be called "God's Waiting Room" due to the volume of retirees moving down there . . . in the 1990s, when the demographics of the area changed dramatically and prices started rising, those looking for "God's Waiting Room" shifted laterally across the state to Ft Myers/Naples . . .
I think it is definitely a blessing in disguise as property prices are much cheaper, and there are more kids my sons age in the community. Although I love Naples, and have friends with children who live there, and know it's still would have been a good quality of life. I had been there four times in the past year at various times of the year on business as this is where my head office is located. The winter months are definitely crazy busy with the snow birds.

Richmond Hill offers so much, which is why I know we should settle in fairly fast. I grew up in Canada so not totally coming in blind with culture etc. We are very excited :-)
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

atlanta355 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a data point here. US tax law is very generous when it comes to moving for work. Make sure to keep every receipt and out of pocket expense both in the US and UK down to even mileage to drive to the airport in the UK. You should be able to take it all off any earned income in the US this year. If you are getting a relo package you can still take the difference.

Obviously this is a quick overview and you need to research your situation deeper but thats the gist.

BTW areas such as St Simons Island near where you are moving are very very nice and similar to Naples in vibe just with less people. Also much better professional job market in GA than FL. When looking for school district make sure you do your due diligence (start with great schools website, etc).

Last edited by atlanta355; Jul 22nd 2017 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is definitely a blessing in disguise as property prices are much cheaper, and there are more kids my sons age in the community. Although I love Naples, and have friends with children who live there, and know it's still would have been a good quality of life. I had been there four times in the past year at various times of the year on business as this is where my head office is located. The winter months are definitely crazy busy with the snow birds.
Daughter lived in Naples for a few years and I loved visiting her there any time of the year. Then she upped sticks and moved to Vegas and I loved that as well.

Richmond Hill offers so much, which is why I know we should settle in fairly fast. I grew up in Canada so not totally coming in blind with culture etc. We are very excited :-)
Husband is Canadian also. Moved down here to MS about 6 years ago and loved it. No snow. Loved the Southern Hospitality. But now, the rose colored glasses have steamed up and come off and the reality of the culture and racism has reared its ugly head. Perhaps being in Georgia you won't find the same as we have down here. Good luck on your new adventure.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by atlanta355
As a data point here. US tax law is very generous when it comes to moving for work. Make sure to keep every receipt and out of pocket expense both in the US and UK down to even mileage to drive to the airport in the UK. You should be able to take it all off any earned income in the US this year. If you are getting a relo package you can still take the difference.

Obviously this is a quick overview and you need to research your situation deeper but thats the gist.

BTW areas such as St Simons Island near where you are moving are very very nice and similar to Naples in vibe just with less people. Also much better professional job market in GA than FL. When looking for school district make sure you do your due diligence (start with great schools website, etc).
Thanks for that info, I will look into it in much greater length.

I am a Financial Controller here in the UK with 17 years experience, but I do not have a degree so know this will be a challenge when looking for a job once the EAD arrives. I am hoping to send my resume to JCB as their US head office is in Savannah... But I may need to start at the bottom and prove my worth where ever I end up.

I used the great schools website when we had to change our location, which is how I come up with Richmond Hill. I couldn't believe how many schools had ratings below 8 in other areas! It really surprised me.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Daughter lived in Naples for a few years and I loved visiting her there any time of the year. Then she upped sticks and moved to Vegas and I loved that as well.

Husband is Canadian also. Moved down here to MS about 6 years ago and loved it. No snow. Loved the Southern Hospitality. But now, the rose colored glasses have steamed up and come off and the reality of the culture and racism has reared its ugly head. Perhaps being in Georgia you won't find the same as we have down here. Good luck on your new adventure.
Thank you so much. Sorry, but where is MS?

Racism sadly is every where and it's getting quite bad now in the UK, it is certainly ramping up since Brexit. It makes me very sad . Hopefully we will be accepted and won't be in the firing line. You can be an arse regardless of your skin colour or religious beliefs in my world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.