Reload this Page >

Obtaining Medical Insurance For My Son

Obtaining Medical Insurance For My Son

Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

bhavesh1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining Medical Insurance For My Son

Hi Everyone,

Its all been a bit hectic trying to settle into the States. Iv'e come across a particular issue which I'm hoping if someone would be kind enough to shed some light on.

I'm currently on an E2 Status in Houston Texas, I have a social security no my wife will be receiving her social security no very soon as her EAD has been approved and is on its way to us by mail. So for us two to get full medical coverage is all good because we have a social security no. However for my 4 year old son he can't get a social security no as an E2 dependent because he will not be working in this country as he is too young (this was told to me by the social security office when I went to apply for him). I asked my insurance company who is Blue Cross Blue Shield and they said he has to get an ITIN no which a tax no for him as he cant get a social security no. I had an appointment with IRS to apply for my son's ITIN No, however they have told me that they wont give him one until he has resided for one full year in the States and he is put on a dependent in my 2017 taxes. I gave this information to Blue Cross Blue Shield and they are not budging they need a social security or ITIN No.

My question is how do people who are new to this country on a non-immigrant status get medical insurance for their kids, having to wait 1 year to get my son enrolled onto the correct medical plan does not make sense to me. It is very much a concern to me as he has allergies which can serious reactions and if anything were to happen to him in the interim period it would mean paying thousands of dollars at a time as the medical in the United States is expensive.

I wonder if anyone has been through a similar experience or may know what is the right way to go about it, any information is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Bhav
Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining Medical Insurance For My Son

Hi, if you post this in the regular US forum, I'm sure you'll get replies.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 1:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...urance-company

from the IRS website.
"Q5: If I do not have a social security number (SSN) or other tax identifying number (TIN) for myself or other covered individuals, such as my spouse or dependents, should I contact the IRS to obtain a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) so that I can give it to my health coverage provider?

A5: No, it is not necessary for you to contact the IRS if you do not have an SSN or a TIN. You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual.
"
Old Jun 21st 2017, 1:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...urance-company

from the IRS website.
"Q5: If I do not have a social security number (SSN) or other tax identifying number (TIN) for myself or other covered individuals, such as my spouse or dependents, should I contact the IRS to obtain a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) so that I can give it to my health coverage provider?

A5: No, it is not necessary for you to contact the IRS if you do not have an SSN or a TIN. You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual.
"
So the front-line oik on the phone doesn't know what they're talking about. Bhav should ask to speak to a supervisor or manager, and on up the chain, until he finds someone who knows what they're talking about.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 1:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So the front-line oik on the phone doesn't know what they're talking about. Bhav should ask to speak to a supervisor or manager, and on up the chain, until he finds someone who knows what they're talking about.
yeah, get used to this.

my kids did not have ssn or itin when we first arrived and we had no problems with the insurance.

They like to use the ssn as your identifier in the system but they can just use your d.o.b. as mentioned above