Reload this Page >

Obtaining Credit in the USA.

Obtaining Credit in the USA.

Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

arwush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining Credit in the USA.

Hello,

If there is a post that covers this please redirect me.

I have been living in the US for nearly 3 years now and the time has come to try and obtain some credit. I've tried to get a credit score from Experian but no dice.

I have a SSN but don't own a house as the company I work for rent one on my behalf. I do have a Bank Account with Morgan Stanley in NYC, and I have field 2 x tax returns as well.

Any advice would be helpful, at the moment I don't seem to appear on the system, what ever system I should be on.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

StrangelyBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining Credit in the USA.

Hi, do you not have a credit card? Not sure how it's possible to live without one here!!! try getting one through Morgan Stanley, they should know you well enough by now to issue you one with a reasonable credit limit. Then you can start building that credit score.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

look at creditkarma? Our bank (Wells Fargo) provides a free credit report each year. You could ask at your bank. Otherwise, just apply for a card. Advancial gave us one when we'd only been here a few weeks, low limit, high interest but it got us started. If I were you, I'd try for a good one with airmiles perhaps and see how you get on. Even if they reject you, you can phone up and ask them to re-evaluate with more info from you.

Worst case, get a secured credit card from your bank from your bank for a few months.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You've left it a bit late, getting your credit history started as a new immigrant is tough, but can be done. You have now moved yourself into the category of citizens/ long term residents who have never had a credit history, ehich in msny respects is an even tougher situation to get out of. ..... In order to have any credit history you have to have used some credit products, so at the moment your credit file is empty, and you have no credit history.

As noted above, your bank should be your first place to contact re a credit card, but you have put yourself in the position of a new immigrant - your credit history will only start "now", when you start using credit.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Just after I arrived, I went in to Sears to buy something, can't remember what it was, and there was a credit application in with the receipt. Filled it out, and got a credit card shortly after. Few weeks after that, I got a Visa credit card application in the mail. Filled that out, and a couple of weeks later, received the card, and I was on my way.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arwush
Hello,

If there is a post that covers this please redirect me.

I have been living in the US for nearly 3 years now and the time has come to try and obtain some credit. I've tried to get a credit score from Experian but no dice.

I have a SSN but don't own a house as the company I work for rent one on my behalf. I do have a Bank Account with Morgan Stanley in NYC, and I have field 2 x tax returns as well.

Any advice would be helpful, at the moment I don't seem to appear on the system, what ever system I should be on.
The bank that I bank with offers a 'credit builder' credit card which is secured by your own money (you can spend up to 90% of what you deposit to secure the card). With this type of card, your existing credit score doesn't matter.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The wiki, up top. Has a lot of info and makes a good starting point :/
Old Nov 25th 2015, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback.

I just applied for the morgan stanley american express credit card. Last time I did I got rejected but I hadnt filed a tax return then so hopefully that will help this time around.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 10:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you do get rejected then call them back and explain stuff. It has worked for others.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

thanks I will.

I have a considerable amount of holdings at Morgan Stanley so I cannot see why they would not approve it, but I think I'm invisible in the US credit borg