Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC Temporary health insurance

NYC Temporary health insurance

Old May 25th 2016, 9:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC Temporary health insurance

Originally Posted by Boswortha
I called e-health and was told that the state of New York and New Jersey do not offer any short-term health insurance at all.
I was also told I do am not eligible to apply through a "qualifying life event" since this is only applicable to those who have already had US health insurance in the past. ....
"Health insurance", not "US health insurance" - NHS coverage is equivalent and meets the requirements for prior health insurance, and immigrating is a qualifying event.

Anything which is called "travel insurance" is a waste of money and would likely be voided if you try to claim on it while living in the US. It is cheap because it is predicated on the assumption that for any chronic condition and for most expensive treatments that you would be patched up and sent home for treatment on the NHS.
Old May 25th 2016, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Boswortha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Sounds like bollocks to me.

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrant...ration-status/

I don't know what visa you have but that is an in-exhaustive list of those that are eligible. Moving to a new State (i.e. Entering the country) counts as a special enrollment qualifying event (assuming you have the right visa).
Thank you. I have an O1 non-immigrant visa for 3 years so yes according to this list I should qualify to use the Marketplace. Hmm..
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Boswortha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I am flying to NY on Monday and I would like to sign up for Seven Corners travel insurance before my Health Insurance through work kicks in after three months.

My questions is, would I be going for an "Inbound Immigrant" or "Liaison International" plan as I am not immigrating to the country..
I am on a 3 year non-immigrant O1 work visa so don't think the Inbound Immigrant plan applies to me?

Many thanks,
D.

Last edited by Boswortha; Jun 4th 2016 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You will be living in the US, so for the purposes of health insurance you should put "inbound immigrant. .... The alternatives are for temporary/ short term work assignments, which clearly isn't your situation.