Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Carolina people I need help.

North Carolina people I need help.

Old Sep 2nd 2017, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default North Carolina people I need help.

Hi all so I have been in NC for a month and a half now and life is setting down, my daughter got into honors classes for all her subjects 😍😍 she just went to her first school football game ton ight with her new friends. My son has started his first job and is considering going into the Marines in 6 months (scares the shit out of me but he is determined) I start my new job Wednesday 😊Hubby starts his new job Tuesday, house is coming together. Loving life right now.

So I want to go and explore NC we might go to Wilmington tomorrow but where else do you recommend we go too?
I have been to Newbern that was lovely.
Oh you were right about the drivers being shockingly bad in NC, in fact my MILIAN got hit with my son in the car! Thankfully they both were fine the car however is needing some serious TLC in the shop right now.

Thanks

Kelly
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina people I need help.

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Hi all so I have been in NC for a month and a half now and life is setting down, my daughter got into honors classes for all her subjects 😍😍 she just went to her first school football game ton ight with her new friends. My son has started his first job and is considering going into the Marines in 6 months (scares the shit out of me but he is determined) I start my new job Wednesday 😊Hubby starts his new job Tuesday, house is coming together. Loving life right now.

So I want to go and explore NC we might go to Wilmington tomorrow but where else do you recommend we go too?
Oh you were right about the drivers being shockingly bad in NC, in fact my MILIAN got hit with my son in the car! Thankfully they both were fine the car however is needing some serious TLC in the shop right now.

Thanks

Kelly
American military is structured around MOS's. If your son is insistent on the USMC try to steer him into a non combat MOS, skills he can acquire and use after he gets out back into civilian life (this is based on the old adage anyone can haul a rifle around).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rine_Corps_MOS
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey. I'm glad you're settling in. Sorry to hear about the car.

Definitely head up to the mountains around Boone and take a drive around blue ridge parkway. It's an amazing sight. We love to go up there from time to time, eat at Danl Boone Inn and take a walk around campus (my wife is an alumni).

Perhaps get to a college football or NFL game once to see the spectacle?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

If he is planning the officer route one of our sons was told to avoid the Marines as they treated their officers worst of all the branches.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 4:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Hey. I'm glad you're settling in. Sorry to hear about the car.

Definitely head up to the mountains around Boone and take a drive around blue ridge parkway. ....
That's a very long haul from Jacksonville.

I went to Newberne once, and wasn't impressed - I think Bath, just a few miles further is much nicer - almost so old that it has a British vibe.

Raleigh's got some museums and gallaries, but honestly there isn't much within a reasonable weekend trip's distance from where you are. ..... I would probably look to visiting Charleston for a fix of culture, history, and good food, including the Cod Father that I have been meaning to visit but haven't yet.

For a local sporting experience you need to go to a race at Darlington (just west of Florence, SC), which is one of the finest oval tracks still in use by NASCAR. You have just missed this year's race (yesterday), but the Saturday race would be a shorter, and cheaper introduction to NASCAR, than the headline Southern 500 on Labor Day weekend Sunday each year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 4th 2017 at 5:50 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

NC is so wonderful I seriously doubt you can go wrong wherever you chose to go.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys 😊I agree Boiler, im loving NC.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys 😊I agree Boiler, im loving NC.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's a very long haul from Jacksonville.
Hotels have surprisingly been invented out there.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Hotels have surprisingly been invented out there. ....
There are hotels in Hawaii too, but that doesn't make it a good destination for a weekend trip from Jacksonville, NC.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are hotels in Hawaii too, but that doesn't make it a good destination for a weekend trip from Jacksonville, NC.
Oh hell yeah it does!
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Kelly
I think joining the USMC would be a great career choice for your son, they have excellent packages for both enlisted and officers, great training, and a lot of benefits, such as free healthcare, tuition assistance, huge discounts on leisure activities, and of course the GI Bill. The military might not be for everyone, but I think it's a lot smarter a choice than people make out. I'm a civilian, but I'm part of the USMC community and am a big fan.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
American military is structured around MOS's. If your son is insistent on the USMC try to steer him into a non combat MOS, skills he can acquire and use after he gets out back into civilian life (this is based on the old adage anyone can haul a rifle around).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rine_Corps_MOS
"Every Marine is a Rifleman"
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyvisa
"Every Marine is a Rifleman"
Everything you say is about the Marines is true, but the enlisted men and the officers get to pick their MOS. And if he can avoid sitting in a tent in the sandbox he'll be better off. He's better off training to be an electrician or a jet mechanic on an aircraft carrier than being in the infantry. Ditto for the officer corps.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepster
Everything you say is about the Marines is true, but the enlisted men and the officers get to pick their MOS. And if he can avoid sitting in a tent in the sandbox he'll be better off. He's better off training to be an electrician or a jet mechanic on an aircraft carrier than being in the infantry. Ditto for the officer corps.
I think they have some flexibility, in that they can state their preference, but depends on their entry test scores etc. Grunts have some of the highest scores. I agree though, would be smart to try and get an MOS that fits his long term career goals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.