Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen going to EU to study for a year

Dual citizen going to EU to study for a year

Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual citizen going to EU to study for a year

Thanks in advance, as always, for anyone with experience and/or advice regarding the following.
My son (passport holding UK/US dual nationality, resident in US since birth) has been offered a place at a Netherlands university for his third (junior) year.
After researching a lot of stuff online does anyone know if I'm correct in my understanding of the below :
When not in school he will be living with his grandparents in UK and using that address as his 'home' address, therefore he needs to register with a UK doctor in order to get a National Health number and apply for a European Health Insurance Card?
Although being accepted by the university as a US student he can use his UK passport/citizenship to avoid having to apply for non-EU citizen residency permits/work permits?

This stuff may fall under the category of the bloody obvious, but it seems the more research I do the less certain I become as the beaurocracy seems to strangle common sense.
I thought I would turn to my trusted source of information in times past - yes you.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Brit In TN; Apr 10th 2012 at 7:53 pm. Reason: NH not NI duh!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen going to EU to study for a year

My son (US/UK dual national, resident in the US at that time) did his junior year abroad in Paris with his US college's program. He just entered France using his British passport and hadn't applied for a visa like the other students, even though he was travelling with a group who in general had obtained French student visas as per college instructions, since they had only US passports.

In his case, he did visit family in the UK several times, but he was definitely a US resident so was on our health insurance just as he would have been had he been on campus in the US.. didn't make a difference financially to us one way or the other.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit In TN
Thanks in advance, as always, for anyone with experience and/or advice regarding the following.
My son (passport holding UK/US dual nationality, resident in US since birth) has been offered a place at a Netherlands university for his third (junior) year.
After researching a lot of stuff online does anyone know if I'm correct in my understanding of the below :
When not in school he will be living with his grandparents in UK and using that address as his 'home' address, therefore he needs to register with a UK doctor in order to get a National Health number and apply for a European Health Insurance Card?
Possibly, although he may not be deemed resident in the UK "enough" to qualify. I suspect that in practice an NHS surgery will just look at his passport and register him. But I should have thought as an bona fide student resident in the Netherlands he would have coverage from the Dutch system - he should check this with the university.

Although being accepted by the university as a US student he can use his UK passport/citizenship to avoid having to apply for non-EU citizen residency permits/work permits?
Yes, by being a UK citizen he is automatically also an EU citizen and so able to reside to study, work etc in all EU countries. Again, he should check the details with his university - for instance he may well need some sort of residence documentation from the Dutch authorities - whatever they would require of their own / other EU nationals. He shouldn't be required to go through any extra administration that a US-only citizen studying in the Netherlands might need to undergo though.

He may (and I emphasis may) qualify for reduced tuition fees or some other financial aid as he is an EU citizen. However, in the UK such "home rates" are conditional on having been an EU resident for at least three years, and I shouldn't be surprised if there are similar rules in other EU countries. He should make sure his university and in particular the offices that deal with student welfare/assistance are aware that he holds an EU citizenship as well as his US.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs

He may (and I emphasis may) qualify for reduced tuition fees or some other financial aid as he is an EU citizen. However, in the UK such "home rates" are conditional on having been an EU resident for at least three years, and I shouldn't be surprised if there are similar rules in other EU countries. He should make sure his university and in particular the offices that deal with student welfare/assistance are aware that he holds an EU citizenship as well as his US.
I don't think the Netherlands have that residency requirement, if you're a EU citizen you can study there for about 1500 squid/euro's? a year.

They were making a point of it in the news a few weeks back by going to all the uni and job fairs in the UK as well as in other countries with a bit of expat communities trying to get foreign students to study there, even offering the courses in English.