Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non-Immigrant owning a gun

Non-Immigrant owning a gun

Old Apr 1st 2015, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

ando88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-Immigrant owning a gun

I live in Alabama and have done so for the past 3 years. I've fired many guns from automatic, to shotguns and sidearms. I've accepted that close to 20% of my church congregation has one concealed on a sunday though never really has it occurred to me until recently that maybe it is time I owned one myself. I am not gun savvy enough or comfortable enough to have a conceal and carry permit/weapon. But to have one lying around the house as protection, I have begun to see a need as a tool of self-defence/intimidation.

As a non-American and no-resident, what rights do I have? Or do rights only come after becoming a permanent resident?

Appreciate your comments in advanced.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-Immigrant owning a gun

Originally Posted by ando88
But to have one lying around the house as protection, I have begun to see a need as a tool of self-defence/intimidation..
Do you have children? The statistics on children killed by gun lying around their own houses aren't pretty. If as you say you aren't that comfortable handling one why get one? More likely to shoot yourself.

That said you'll need to check local laws.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Who Cannot Have a Gun in America? - U.S. Government Info/Resources

Alabama’s New Gun Law: What You Need to Know | WHNT.com

Do I have to be a citizen to obtain a concealed weapons permit? No. If you are not a citizen, the sheriff will conduct an Immigration Alien Query through the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency and the application will require more paperwork.

§13A-11-75. “(d) If a person who is not a United States citizen applies for a permit under this section, the sheriff shall conduct an Immigration Alien Query through U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or any successor agency, and the application form shall require information relating to the applicant’s country of citizenship, place of birth, and any alien or admission number issued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or any successor agency. The sheriff shall review the results of these inquiries before making a determination of whether to issue a permit or renewal permit. A person who is unlawfully present in this state may not be issued a permit under this section.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

ando88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Do you have children? The statistics on children killed by gun lying around their own houses aren't pretty. If as you say you aren't that comfortable handling one why get one? More likely to shoot yourself.

That said you'll need to check local laws.
No I don't have children, I live alone

And believe you me, these are worries I've always had. but living alone and knowing everyone but me has a gun, makes me feel unsafe at times!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 6:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see you are on a E3, no idea about the laws in Alabama but I would imagine it would be gun friendly.

I did the Concealed Carry Course and would recommend it I am friends with the people who ran it, much better than the ones you get at gun shows which are there to meet the minimum requirements.

Mine was held at a Christian Camp which I thought was quite funny, has its own gun range.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 11:55 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently on an L1 in Florida and own a few guns and have concealed weapons permit course booked for next week (although I imagine I would carry very rarely, I mainly want to eliminate the 5 day wait my county requires).

The process here was that I had to obtain hunting permit (easily done online) and stores were unfamiliar with the law so had to make a few calls but overall it wasn't difficult.

Alabama is probably slightly different but I can't imagine you'll have trouble getting one. What are you thinking of?
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that before you go out and purchase a gun, that you spend some time and money on a training class. You'll find that the 'better' concealed carry classes will give you a good understanding of the law (relevant for your state), safety and proper usage.

I'd also suggest that you buy a safe. Even if it's one of the handgun vault types. It's better to have your firearm secured than 'lying around the house'.

The laws for Alabama:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:14 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
I'd also suggest that you buy a safe. Even if it's one of the handgun vault types. It's better to have your firearm secured than 'lying around the house'
Not much good for protection if it's locked up though. I keep my handguns locked away but my shotgun is on a high shelf in the master bedroom's walk-in closet. In the extremely (to the extent that it's almost laughable) unlikely event of someone breaking into my home to harm me or my wife (if they want the TV they can take it) it's readily available.

I agree it shouldn't just be lying around on a table or something though.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English88
Not much good for protection if it's locked up though. I keep my handguns locked away but my shotgun is on a high shelf in the master bedroom's walk-in closet. In the extremely (to the extent that it's almost laughable) unlikely event of someone breaking into my home to harm me or my wife (if they want the TV they can take it) it's readily available.

I agree it shouldn't just be lying around on a table or something though.
I agree completely. Generally if at home, the gun is on the person (or within reach - assuming no kids), if out and going to a 'no firearms' type of place, then it should be secured.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English88
Not much good for protection if it's locked up though. I keep my handguns locked away but my shotgun .....
To the OP, there's your answer for home defence. Don't get taken in by arguments over which pistol is better for home defence when what you need is a short-barrel (18") "tactical" shotgun. Instead of hoping that, in the stress of the moment, your bullets are going to hit the intruder, a shotgun will deliver a scatter of buckshot pellets about the size of a saucer at 30ft, so you are massively more likely to hit your target, and hit it somewhere that will "stop" it.

I note that you say you're not "comfortable" enough for concealed carry. If you are not comfortable with the likelihood of killing someone you shoot then please don't buy a gun. Aiming to stop, but not kill, an intruder is unrealistic outside of Hollywood, and in the event you home is broken into it is likely to get you hurt, or worse. In short, only shoot living targets with the intention of killing them as efficiently as possible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 1st 2015 at 1:12 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Non-Immigrant owning a gun

I have to say that I'm appalled that anyone would want to keep a gun at home.

Just get a burglar alarm, light and motion detectors, perhaps pepper spray if you are so concerned FFS

Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America

http://momsdemandaction.org/faces-of-courage/ Sad, sad stories
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I have to say that I'm appalled that anyone would want to keep a gun at home. ....
Agreed. Once you have bought one, it only makes sense to get a concealed carry permit and take it out and about with you.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. Once you have bought one, it only makes sense to get a concealed carry permit and take it out and about with you.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Non-Immigrant owning a gun

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I have to say that I'm appalled that anyone would want to keep a gun at home.
Appalled is a bit strong. The guy lives alone, nobody is likely to get hold of it, and beyond an intruder, the only person he's likely to hurt is himself, at which point we hand out a Darwin award and thank him for thinning the herd.

It's always easy to point out how bad and evil guns (an inanimate piece of mechanical engineering) are, but if I was to start a thread asking for advice on what bow to buy as I'm thinking of taking up archery again, nobody would bat an eyelid. I can hit gold on a target at 40m; I could easily kill someone with an arrow. Amazingly though, I never have and never intend to ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.