Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non Deliver USA

Non Deliver USA

Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:24 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday they said they hadn't even contacted the co who delivers it to me. Apparently it will take Deliver USA's dispatch department another three weeks to act on it! I'm going to get back on to them today and give 'em hell.

I'll ask them for the delivery company's details Overhere.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 10:44 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

After a lot of call dodging by GB Liners and Deliver USA, they've finally fessed up to loosing it. The entire flaming 20' container! How the hell it can happen is beyond me, but they have.

My next lot of wrangles is with the Insurance agents. I'm not a happy bunny.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
After a lot of call dodging by GB Liners and Deliver USA, they've finally fessed up to loosing it. The entire flaming 20' container! How the hell it can happen is beyond me, but they have.

My next lot of wrangles is with the Insurance agents. I'm not a happy bunny.

What a mess. Somebody must have the thing! I'm glad you've got it insured - did you pay them anything up front that they should now give back to you?
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:04 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
What a mess. Somebody must have the thing! I'm glad you've got it insured - did you pay them anything up front that they should now give back to you?
Well I've paid them $5k shipping including insurance. I've already had to buy a whole new load of summer clothes as they were shipped, new horse stuff and golf clubs.

The container # they gave me doesn't exist, and the ship it was meant to be on was in the far east when they told me it had docked with my things. At one point they were even trying to sting me for insurance.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've paid them $5k shipping including insurance. I've already had to buy a whole new load of summer clothes as they were shipped, new horse stuff and golf clubs.

The container # they gave me doesn't exist, and the ship it was meant to be on was in the far east when they told me it had docked with my things. At one point they were even trying to sting me for insurance.

I hate to say this, since I don't really believe in suing people all over the place, but when in Rome................. besides, they seem to have been out and out incompetent and careless from the start. A mere letter from a lawyer might be enough to make them cough up what they owe and then some to make up from your expenses. Have you got good documentation of all their mistakes? (I once shipped a 52' container of stuff to Mexico. The shipping company lost it (temporarily), but it was a sales shipment and seriously aggravated the customer. I wrote a letter to the shipping company outlining everything they had and had not done, what they had told me, what actually happened, made some pointed remarks, and hey presto, they refunded my deposit and completed the shipment free. Never even got as far as a lawyer, they just assumed that that was where it was going, and I didn't disabuse them. )
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:17 pm
C.G.D.S

I'm getting a lawyer onto it in the morning and my hubby was saying something about triple damages. I don't have anything in writing other than the initial contract etc., and a few emails from GB liners telling me that the shipment had arrived and I owed them storage. I've made a note of every phone call I've made and who I've spoken to, though Deliver USA won't let me get past the chick who answers the phone.

The actual shipping charges aren't covered by insurance so I'll speak to the lawyer about trying to recover that too. The actual shipment is insured for $21k.

As well as the huge inconvenice I've lost every inaminate object that ever meant anything. Letters, photos, family keepsakes etc.,
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:26 pm

I'm getting a lawyer onto it in the morning and my hubby was saying something about triple damages. I don't have anything in writing other than the initial contract etc., and a few emails from GB liners telling me that the shipment had arrived and I owed them storage. I've made a note of every phone call I've made and who I've spoken to, though Deliver USA won't let me get past the chick who answers the phone.

The actual shipping charges aren't covered by insurance so I'll speak to the lawyer about trying to recover that too. The actual shipment is insured for $21k.

As well as the huge inconvenice I've lost every inaminate object that ever meant anything. Letters, photos, family keepsakes etc.,

That's horrible. I know how much that sort of stuff means. Perhaps it will still turn up in some far flung corner of the world. In the meantime, let the lawyers loose.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

That's too awful to contemplate, and it sent a cold shiver down my spine.

Our container of stuff was supposed to be arriving on the 30th, and we had a call the other day telling us it was delayed a week, no reason given.

Now I'm completely freaked out - after your story I won't sleep until they're unloading it at my house.

Go stick it to them big time and give the b@stards one for me...
Old Jun 30th 2004, 6:36 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

What an awful mess

Sounds as if you may have them for fraud and not just simple fraud (they attempted to charge you for storage for items which they had no valid claim to do so). Triple damages, compensation and atttorney's fees is what I'd go for.

Also, personally, I'd be gathering evidence and talking to the AG. People are generally rather willing to neogtiate when they are incarcerated.

Good Luck.

Last edited by lairdside; Jun 30th 2004 at 12:59 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear this, Sibsie... I truly hope your posessions will turn up somewhere, sooner rather than later. What a horror story....

Elaine
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

You say the container number doesn't even exist.........

If the company quoted you the container number which is now showing to be non-existant then that should give you some very good amunition to show incompetance. This will help in your case for damages via a lawyer....

Just a bit of info....... When you ship items it involves 3 companies.

The shipping company that arranges everything from your home to the docks.
The forwarding company that takes the container from the home dock to the destination dock.
The recieving company that deals with clearance and delivery to the destination.

Identifying the one that screwed up will help with any claim for damages.....
If the 1st company isn't giving any info and gave you the wrong container number then that says a lot.....

Oh and for anyone else shipping....

LRD: 6-21 ETD: 6-23 ETA Thamesport: 7-17

LRD..... is the last recieving date at the home port for the container to be delivered for shipping.
ETD..... is the expected time of departure from the home port.
ETA..... is the expected time of arrival at the destination port and the name of the destination port....

All companies involved in the move should have these details, and you should have them also.....
There should also be the name of the ship and the company eg. P&O lines with the name of the ship....

There will be a container number which you should be given. There is also a seal number.... This is a plastic seal that they put on the container before shipping, you should be given the number before sailing. This is only broken open by customs if they choose to inspect your belongings... Therefore by having the number you can tell if the container was tampered with during transit...... Ask for the bill of lading which will show this.

Another tip.... If your container is loaded at your premises, or you have access to the container at time of loading, you can actually put your own bolt on it to secure your belongings. If customs choose to inspect, they will just cut it off....

Sorry if this isn't relevent to the thread, but thought it may help others reading it...

I hope everything works our favorably. I would definately get a lawyer and have letters sent asking for details etc.....

Good luck....
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:43 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Sibs,
Sory to hear the continuing saga of your goods. I can't imagine losing the personal items we all treasure. Hopefully they will find it when they realize they'll have to pay up (although the shipping industry as a whole are usually a bunch of f*&^ers when it comes to paying.

Good Luck

ps; You don't think your Valencian Mailman got a job for the moving company do you???
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:55 am
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by ironporer
ps; You don't think your Valencian Mailman got a job for the moving company do you???
He could well be in cahoots with the banditos who robbed me at the airport when I was leaving. Talk about luck!

So far I've been on to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General, along with my Insuarance company and have an appt to see a lawyer later today.

It seems that GB Liners who were the shipping company have a few financial problems and owe Deliver USA money. Deliver USA are refusing to even investigate until GB Liners have cleared the debt with them. The middle men are a company called Omni who are useless, furnished me with the wrong details and are not worth speaking to. The shipment is now three months overdue.

As I was packing up the house, I pulled out a few things like pics and letters that had huge sentimental value and decided to pack them in my carry on. Who knew I'd be f*****g robbed while I was checking in!

Well, like they say "That which doesn't kill you, maims you for life".
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:17 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Sibsie,

So sorry to read about all this, it's everyones nightmare. I too brought all my treasured photos on the plane with me, leaving space for my wedding dress and not much else! Trusting all my clothes, books, other treasures to the shipping company who "guaranteed" 6 week delivery. Yep, you guessed it, it was actually 12 weeks and like you I had shelled out for a whole new wardrobe by then. But at least my stuff did arrive. I can't imagine losing everything. I guess there is always the hope that it still may turn up one day - after all, how can a whole container completely vanish? Sounds like a giant cock-up, and one day someone might just find it. I hope so.

Debbie

PS The Eastenders server is down today
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:09 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by dbark

PS The Eastenders server is down today
I know. And just when it was getting good!

I'm sure my stuff will show up somewhere, eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.