Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No medical insurance

No medical insurance

Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No medical insurance

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Most Brits I know who have never lived in US can't get their heads around the US health insurance, they just don't get that no one gives a dam if you can't pay, they really do think there must be some sort of back up, NHS here or something similar. Try explaining that an insurance company can deny you cover even if you pay the monthly premiums and you get a blank stare.
Exactly. The problem is that a "back up" plan is equated to a "social safety net". In the US, a social safety net is regarded as a feature of communism. Here, getting sick and not being able to pay for it is a sign of weakness - so such people obviously deserve to be living (or dying) on the streets!

Most Americans don't want to pay the higher taxes that they think are needed to help produce a more humane society. The irony is that there is so much waste in the current system that it could probably be transformed into universal healthcare without much increase in cost - maybe none at all and maybe there would even be savings. For example, billions of dollars are wasted annually in health insurance red tape. I'm always amazed when I go to a medical facility and listen to the people on the front desk constantly on the phone to health insurance companies - checking coverage, co-pay amounts, claim status, etc. I've personally spent countless hours on the phone with medical facilities and health insurance companies dealing with insurance issues involving me and my family. It's all just a colossal waste of human resources, time and money. Several times I've been close to just packing it in out of sheer frustration and moving to another country. There's something seriously wrong with a country that allows people who are not trained medical professions to decide what medical treatment you are entitled to.

My wife is a nurse at our local hospital. Every day and night the ER is filled with people who do not have health insurance. Some of these are illegal immigrants. The hospital treats them but they don't get paid for it. Well, they do actually - because those who have health insurance are paying the cost of those who don't. This is a very expensive and inefficient form of universal healthcare.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 29th 2011 at 2:18 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

For those not born in the USA, nor lived their lives in the USA, I'm sure the medical industry is confusing.

However it is based on a consumer situation - you get what you pay for. Cheap insurance - expect higher payments out of pocket and reduced spectrum of care.

My father is self-employed his whole life. We got by without insurance in the 70s and 80s, simply negotiating rates and payments with our local MDs.

Things have changed, and its a hard difficulty for self-employed folks to afford good quality insurance, as self-pay options are now very expensive.

And Americans know not to expect dental insurance (teeth are our national passion) - I've a range of dental work from Egypt to Brasil for that reason. (Each vacation, pop into a local dentist and pay a fraction of the price.)

We are from Scotland. Due to our post code, we had a NHS lottery - easy, quick access to GPs. And we had private insurance as well, which we used for my husband's hernia. 6 month's wait on NHS; 2 day wait on private insurance. Same physician, same hospital.

My parents in law - not so lucky in post code lottery. My husband's dad was 9 months on waiting list for a stent. The day came for his stent, and someone came in with a heart attack. He went back to the list - 6 months wait.

Dental care to American standards was more expensive in the UK than here. And the technologies and techniques were behind that of the USA.

We made the decision to move to the USA largely based on medical care. As with Americans, if you can afford good medical care, you'll get it. And we are getting it.

Depending on what you need, the USA may be the best place. NHS puts women out to pasture at age 35 for fertility. Here, they have the latest technologies and since its a consumer-driven medical field, we've had everything done within days, when even with PAYING in the UK, it was a course of 18 months. Ridiculous. And the hospitals - nice Victorian buildings... but scary indeed. So that green paint has been re-coated since the 1850s?

Yeah, its a hard one for those without medical insurance here in the USA. Socialized medicine will never work in the USA, and everyone praised Hillary and Obama about the healthcare initiatives, which if people really listened - only offered ACCESS to healthcare, not free healthcare.

Over the years during self-employment, or even when in the USA but covered under NHS and no health insurance in the US, I've simply talked to the admin folks at the doctor's office about their self-pay options. These aren't widely advertised, and they aren't widely announced as they DO make more money with insurances. Find a good office that does support a range of self-paying patients. These are usually NOT the poor, but people who have money and pay cash.

For something simple, use the ReadyMeds at CVS or chain store pharmacies. They do everything from flu to UTIs.

We are using the American medical expertises for now. We may move back to the UK in our later years. No one knows what will happen in 30 years with the NHS, but I suspect the US medical system won't change much. US taxpayers will never pay the level of social taxes that the Brits pay for these services. I see NHS as a huge HMO - that system absolutely tanked in the USA by the late 90s, after a good 15 years attempt.

So to OP's question. Three options. Self-pay with negotiating payments and amounts. Private insurance (which often has conditions - read the fine print.) or get on wife's insurance ASAP! (I think your wife has no insurance otherwise you'd not be asking this question.)

As you age, you need to be married to her 5 years and reach age levels to be eligible for Medicare through her. And she must have reached the required amount of quarters of taxes and contributions before that time. You are in the Medicare age requirements...but you need to be here in the US as a permanent resident married to her at least 5 years to have Medicare insurance via your American spouse. So gap insurance may your best bet.

Last edited by Bomjeito; Apr 29th 2011 at 2:41 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Simply that you do have to pay for treatment, unless you're young or pregnant. I haven't been either for a while . Almost call it a co-pay since the NHS pays about 10%?!
It's still significantly cheaper for the most part though
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:20 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Explain please.

Thanks.
Before the local farmers started to employ illegal Mexicans, they hired mainly from the black population. Then along came the illegal shites who would work for longer hours for half pay.
Plus these illegal shites are the primary drunk drivers with no insurance, forged SS Cards, and drivers forged licenses. GA doesn't have anything like an MOT, as if they did 60% of cars and trucks would be off the road. Add to all of that the fact that the people at ICE won't come and deport them unless there are 40 or more in one go.
So, you're a black cop or deputy, and respond to an RTA, to find a drunk illegal shite in a crap car rammed into a fairly new truck. He won't speak English, has no documents on him that past the make sense test. So you lock him up for the night. The next morning a civil rights lawyer from Savannah bails him out and he's never seen again.
There is more but you'll only say it's my jaundiced/racist prejudice and you'd be right!!!
Deport every one of them.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's still significantly cheaper for the most part though
I just moved back to the UK after 34 years in the US..I had health insurance, and it still bankrupted me last year when I had to have surgery...they dont pay for everything, and I had good insurance. Not to mention time out of work etcetc..I didnt get paid for that..3 months out of work and medical bills coming in...
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Before the local farmers started to employ illegal Mexicans, they hired mainly from the black population. Then along came the illegal shites who would work for longer hours for half pay.
Plus these illegal shites are the primary drunk drivers with no insurance, forged SS Cards, and drivers forged licenses. GA doesn't have anything like an MOT, as if they did 60% of cars and trucks would be off the road. Add to all of that the fact that the people at ICE won't come and deport them unless there are 40 or more in one go.
So, you're a black cop or deputy, and respond to an RTA, to find a drunk illegal shite in a crap car rammed into a fairly new truck. He won't speak English, has no documents on him that past the make sense test. So you lock him up for the night. The next morning a civil rights lawyer from Savannah bails him out and he's never seen again.
There is more but you'll only say it's my jaundiced/racist prejudice and you'd be right!!!
Deport every one of them.
I would like to hear more.

You are obviously smart enough to know that the immigration issue is a deliberate failure of the federal government, bought through political contributions by business interests who reap larger profits from largely non complaining lower paid workers. Mexican or other national illegals are merely pawns in the game.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:16 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by CelticRover
I would like to hear more.

You are obviously smart enough to know that the immigration issue is a deliberate failure of the federal government, bought through political contributions by business interests who reap larger profits from largely non complaining lower paid workers. Mexican or other national illegals are merely pawns in the game.
I'm probably smarter than you think as my Deputy badge is simply a "Get out of Jail" card when not in the vicinity of our County, or the surrounding Counties. Plus it gives me powers of arrest in the whole State of GA.
I also understand the strange logic that allows this invasion to go on.
But to discuss it in a thread called "No medical insurance" is probably no the right place.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
I'm probably smarter than you think as my Deputy badge is simply a "Get out of Jail" card when not in the vicinity of our County, or the surrounding Counties. Plus it gives me powers of arrest in the whole State of GA.
I also understand the strange logic that allows this invasion to go on.
But to discuss it in a thread called "No medical insurance" is probably no the right place.

I have no doubt that you are smart enough to have an intelligent conversation but as you wish.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

this is getting out of hand. Gentlemen, which I am sure you are, can certainly have widely different POVs, and still be intellegent and converse.

This is not the thread to discuss illegal immigration problems and I believe the OP will be starting a different topic, so I am going to close this one.