Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No idea where to start - moving from UK to coastal California

No idea where to start - moving from UK to coastal California

Old Sep 21st 2016, 8:43 am
Just Joined

weeziewoozles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No idea where to start - moving from UK to coastal California

Hi. I'm hoping you can help. My husband and I have just been told by his work that he might be needed to relocate from London to Los Angeles imminently. Our heads are consequently in a spin with excitement, fear, questions etc. Where do we start in making this decision?!

We've three children and are planning for a fourth, so my main concern is moving our whole world when it's really great already. We currently walk to a lovely local primary school, where the boys are flourishing and I've made loads of great friends. How do I know what the impact on the children's happiness will be by us crossing the world, leaving all their friends and family behind? How will I feel not knowing anyone and being in a new place? I've lived in this area for nearly thirty years, other than a little globe trotting after my degree.

Assuming we decide that we'll all cope emotionally and relocate, how do we find out family friendly areas near the coast? How do we go about researching public schools and how do you apply for places? How does the medical system work over there in general and if I had a baby there?

As you can see, I've hundreds of questions racing around my brain and don't really know where to start researching. My husband's work are willing ot send us all there for a week or two soon to investigate and explore. Where and what do you need to focus on?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No idea where to start - moving from UK to coastal California

Please take a look through recent threads as your situation is not unusual in most respects, although you will find that most threads only cover one topic such as schools, education, driving licences (per the letter of the law you have 10 days after you arrive to switch to a local California license, including doing a road test - you DO NOT have 12 months, and an international driving permit makes no difference), food/supermarkets, bringing TVs and other electrical things, etc.

This thread for example is very comprehensive and will help you with some general things, such as healthcare, and probably prompt other questions you hadn't yet thought of, even though it is primarily talking about Texas.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

eg76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't panic. We are in a similar situation. Have 3 children and are currently in the process of relocating. Our children are 2,7 & 9 and similarly we love our school and current living situation in the UK.

Couple of things to think about. LA is huge and the traffic is a nightmare, so dependent on where your husband is working, that will dictate where you will look at houses. Your children will be fine and will probably assimilate into their new environment much quicker than you will! Pick a good school district and work out from there.

Other than that, enjoy. There are very few places in the world like California. We are looking forward to exploring the West Coast, Surfing and endless good weather!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eg76
There are very few places in the world like California. !
Maybe there's a reason for that
Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eg76
..... Couple of things to think about. LA is huge and the traffic is a nightmare, so dependent on where your husband is working, that will dictate where you will look at houses. ..... Pick a good school district and work out from there. ....
Per your own advice:
(i) find address where you/spouse will be working
(ii) identify which areas are commutable
(iii) identify which commutable areas are affordable
(iv) identify which affordable areas have the best schools
(v) forget any hope of living anywhere near the beach.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. They don't seem to know where the office will be yet. Not helpful!! Say we find a good school etc how do you apply? Around here the waiting lists are enormous!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by weeziewoozles
Thanks. They don't seem to know where the office will be yet. Not helpful!! Say we find a good school etc how do you apply? Around here the waiting lists are enormous!
The school your children will attend is almost certainly rigidly determined by the address of your home, so you cannot apply to schools until you have an address. The schools linked to your address may not be the closest or most convenient for you.

Most American parents who are concerned about schools for their children, select a school then work back to look for homes that are in that school's catchment area.

It is not unusual to find two similar houses for a sale a very short distance apart that have a substantial price difference - the reason being that they are in different school districts.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 21st 2016 at 3:04 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 4:02 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

If the relocation isn't an absolute requirement, but simply a request that you and your hubby can decline without fear of him losing his job, I'd really think very, very carefully about whether or not you want to do this.

While your kids will no doubt cope with the change, as it seems they are all still primary school level, it does sound as though you are very happy where you are. Your husband will undoubtedly enter into a whirlwind of work, setting up a new office and so on. Unless you have a very outgoing personality, you may find that you're on your own a lot and it's difficult to make new friends. Adding pregnancy hormones into the mix, followed by coping with a newborn in a new country without a support network could leave you struggling, to be honest.

Obviously it very much depends on your personality, your ability to make new friends, your comfort zone etc. but don't underestimate the effect that uprooting and moving halfway across the world will have on you. It took me a very long time (7 years) before I truly settled in.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 4:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the beginning...
you have to have a visa to work in the USA. I take it his company are organising this? You'll need to find out which one it is.

My experience of moving with children and whilst pregnant (to France) was ok ish. Do not underestimate the stress involved with this endeavour and stress combined with pregnancy is not a great idea. People do it of course and you need to weigh up how you feel and how much support you are going to get. I would not do it again though. Definitely speak to your doctor and if you had any issues with your previous pregnancies/births, well I would hope common sense prevails.

As for the anxieties about leaving something you already have, well that's normal and we all get homesick afterwards too. Your initial contract here may well be just a couple of years so that if you really don't like it then you could go home.

I also wouldn't agree to the move until you know where you are moving to and what the relocation package/salary is going to be. As Pulaski has already said, your school is tied to your address so you have to know that you are going to a nice place with good schools.

There is a load of information on BE already, we are willing to help with what ever we can. BE was an absolute godsend when I moved, saving me loads of stress and money.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Find out where in LA your hubby will be working, LA is vast and has cities within it!

Where hubby works to where you live makes a big difference, Californian's do not measure commuting by distance we measure in time. My commute is 33 miles, 30 of which will take 30 mins, the other 3.................welcome to the nightmare called the I-405.

If you are going to live on the coast expect higher than average property rental prices, but offset that with the wonderful weather, I'm rarely out of shorts, but never too hot to need the AC banging all day, I think we used it twice this year.

Everything is more expensive, but salary differential will counter that.

I love living here.

Welcome to BE, we are happy to help.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

This may be of interest.
Median Income Ranking - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

However one of the most important issues is where the job will be, or even if he could work from home?
Yes, traffic can be soul destroying.

Thousand Oaks/Simi Valley is not a bad middle class area however given the choice I'd prefer to be in Orange County. (Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Dana Point.)

Either way, a very high salary would be in order.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds similar to us when we moved out here, although we were fed up to the back teeth of the UK and still don't miss it. But our kids were settled in nice village schools, although the local comps were dire so it was easier to think about that. Kids adapt easily, particularly if they're younger.

Find out area and then salary. Southern California is expensive as hell, particularly if you've got a lot of kids and you don't want to all share a 1bed condo.
I've got 4 mini beasts ranging in age from 2 to 12 and there are so many costs associated just with them. The cost of living is high.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the baby here as long as you have a decent medical plan. Our 2yr old was born here and the hospital care was in a different league to any we'd ever experienced in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weeziewoozles
Until such time as the company can define where the office will be, most of your questions are moot.

LA is huge so knowing where he will work is vital.

With regard the health system that will depend on the medical insurance the company is offering you. With 3 children and one on the way you need to find out ALL about the medical insurance - what it covers, how much it is going to cost you with premiums, out of pocket expenses etc.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 8:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Back to the beginning...
you have to have a visa to work in the USA. I take it his company are organising this? You'll need to find out which one it is.

My experience of moving with children and whilst pregnant (to France) was ok ish. Do not underestimate the stress involved with this endeavour and stress combined with pregnancy is not a great idea. People do it of course and you need to weigh up how you feel and how much support you are going to get. I would not do it again though. Definitely speak to your doctor and if you had any issues with your previous pregnancies/births, well I would hope common sense prevails.

As for the anxieties about leaving something you already have, well that's normal and we all get homesick afterwards too. Your initial contract here may well be just a couple of years so that if you really don't like it then you could go home.

I also wouldn't agree to the move until you know where you are moving to and what the relocation package/salary is going to be. As Pulaski has already said, your school is tied to your address so you have to know that you are going to a nice place with good schools.

There is a load of information on BE already, we are willing to help with what ever we can. BE was an absolute godsend when I moved, saving me loads of stress and money.
Sorry I misread what you wrote... you're not pregnant yet are you? If you have the choice then I'd wait until you are a bit settled..
Old Sep 29th 2016, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Thank you guys. Really helpful answers. A friend has recommended we request they hire a Relocation Advisor to sort it all out so we might do that.

We should all be going to LA next month to investigate the area. Hopefully the business will have decided the office location by then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.