Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

Forgive me, but aren't you coming on just a little strong here?

FWIW, I am in the US temporarily, I paid taxes for a quarter of a century before I left and continue to pay a 5-figure sum each year, so your accusation of 'benefit fraud' and 'leeching the system' is just a little much. (And no, I didn't leave because of the UK taxes...)

It seems that the rules say that I would be entitled after 3 months back in the UK. So, according to the strict letter of the law, if I develop a serious illness within a couple of months of returning, I would have to pay, but if it happened after 3+ months I would be covered. I just hope they would not enforce this.

Anyway, I do not want to get into an argument with you. Peace.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Forgive me, but aren't you coming on just a little strong here?

FWIW, I am in the US temporarily, I paid taxes for a quarter of a century before I left and continue to pay a 5-figure sum each year, so your accusation of 'benefit fraud' and 'leeching the system' is just a little much. (And no, I didn't leave because of the UK taxes...)

It seems that the rules say that I would be entitled after 3 months back in the UK. So, according to the strict letter of the law, if I develop a serious illness within a couple of months of returning, I would have to pay, but if it happened after 3+ months I would be covered. I just hope they would not enforce this.

Anyway, I do not want to get into an argument with you. Peace.
How long do you class as temporary, as I read your posts and it seems you have been here since 2001, plus applying for a gc? Given that information, you seem to be pretty resident even on an HB1/4 visa.

On the general issue, however I am on agreement. It pisses me off that that my eldest daughter was in UK school from 5-15yr old but still not entitled to a UK university education without paying international fees. As they are currently running at £10,000 per annum at Glasgow University(for a couse similar to the one she is currently doing), its actually cheaper to go to university here. However, if we had moved to France or anywhere else in the EC, she would still be paying the UK fee.

Unfortunately, most of this due to the slack 80's when just about anyone could get NHS treatment as soon as they arrived in the country. I worked in DHSS at the time where I worked in the office where the files of the so called asylum seekers were kept and most of them were there for quick buck. At the time, they were given free housing, benefits and free NHS treatment as soon as they arrived. Now, as I understand it, they have to prove their status before they get any benefits.

At least we have been able to keep our pensions within the UK system for the time being, though no doubt that will change and yet again we will be stiffed.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb

It pisses me off that that my eldest daughter was in UK school from 5-15yr old but still not entitled to a UK university education without paying international fees.
I paid into the NHS for 49 yrs until I retired, and I have to accept that I am not covered if I go back to the UK for a holiday. Do I think that is fair, no I do not but I have to accept it.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:29 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

"If your intention is to live permanently in the UK you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country"

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...710&chk=vQ3pCG
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you move back to the UK permanently, then you'd be covered by nhs.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:52 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ditto? See previous.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Ditto? See previous.
aye, i noticed after I posted...had the reply window open for a while and forgot to hit the submit button....by then you'd replied *lol*
I'm so bad
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:28 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, i noticed after I posted...had the reply window open for a while and forgot to hit the submit button....by then you'd replied *lol*
I'm so bad
Just letting you know I'm paying attention
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
I paid into the NHS for 49 yrs until I retired, and I have to accept that I am not covered if I go back to the UK for a holiday. Do I think that is fair, no I do not but I have to accept it.
I accept the rule but it doesn't stop me from being pissed off.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob

Just a thought, how do you proove that you have moved back permanenty? If you pop back for a visit, get ill/ or want treatment in the UK and you still have your NHS medical card, you register with a doctor giving a relatives/friends/rental address and go a head and get treatment. Will anyone ask you if you are there permanently? I doubt it. I'm not saying that this is morally correct, but if you needed medical care for whatever reason (i.e. child sick, life threatening illness/ chronic illness) and couldn't get it or afford it at the time in the USA who wouldn't go back?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doodle
I'm not saying that this is morally correct, but if you needed medical care for whatever reason (i.e. child sick, life threatening illness/ chronic illness) and couldn't get it or afford it at the time in the USA who wouldn't go back?

that's just it though. You can't get a chronic illness / life threatening disease cured overnight.
You'd literally need to move back over permanently if you got cancer or whatever.
I doubt it would be feasible to travel back and forth every 2 weeks to get Chemo.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:14 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Manc
that's just it though. You can't get a chronic illness / life threatening disease cured overnight.
You'd literally need to move back over permanently if you got cancer or whatever.
I doubt it would be feasible to travel back and forth every 2 weeks to get Chemo.
Hehehe!

Hey Manc, I was looking through photo galleries yesterday. That really is YOU in your avatar! It's uncanny
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by doodle
Just a thought, how do you proove that you have moved back permanenty? If you pop back for a visit, get ill/ or want treatment in the UK and you still have your NHS medical card, you register with a doctor giving a relatives/friends/rental address and go a head and get treatment. Will anyone ask you if you are there permanently? I doubt it. I'm not saying that this is morally correct, but if you needed medical care for whatever reason (i.e. child sick, life threatening illness/ chronic illness) and couldn't get it or afford it at the time in the USA who wouldn't go back?
You would be asked to provide a copy of a utility bill or anything you have received in your name at that address like a bank statements. But it is very unlikely they will. I told my Doctor that I had come home from overseas and I had to give them my medical file that I was given to take with me as most of my antenatal was done overseas and they new I was leaving again. I was never asked to pay any bills. As Muswell explained in is post it just dose not happen morally correct or not. Yes there are written rules but they are not followed through. My biggest dislike about the UK is the fact the asylum seekers who have never paid tax in the UK get free NHS. This is a major dislike with employees of the NHS also that’s why they would not charge a brit. To me that is morally in correct.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Asylum seekers are refugees and are unlikely to have the resources to pay for health care. Are you seriously suggesting that they should be left untreated?

I don't think even the Tories would go this far.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:01 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

I don't think even the Tories would go this far.
They would if they could!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.