Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

Originally Posted by Manc
it isn't a question of citizenship. It is a question of residency.

The NHS is not there to benefit UK citizens, but UK residents.

EXACTLY!!!

You will still be entitled to free care in A&E - that applies to everyone regardless. However if you are admitted to the hospital - you shall be billed accordingly.

Seems tough to those who have paid in to the system for years. But rules are rules, and they are what they are.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS health cover while visiting UK and Spain, am I covered? Advice please

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
EXACTLY!!!

You will still be entitled to free care in A&E - that applies to everyone regardless. However if you are admitted to the hospital - you shall be billed accordingly.

Seems tough to those who have paid in to the system for years. But rules are rules, and they are what they are.
Does anyone actually enforce these rules? I'd be interested to hear about anyone who has been caught out and made to pay up.

-tom
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what is eligibility for people like us who pay UK tax on a rental property and earnings from a UK-based business?

Together, my husband and I continue to pay several 1000s in UK tax each year...
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I wonder what is eligibility for people like us who pay UK tax on a rental property and earnings from a UK-based business?

capital gains / property / council tax is not National insurance.

The only way I think to remain eligible for NHS as an expat is to keep up with the full stamp.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

capital gains / property / council tax is not National insurance.

The only way I think to remain eligible for NHS as an expat is to keep up with the full stamp.
Okay, I pay Class 2 + 4, my DH pays Class 3. Does that mean one or both of us are eligible for NHS treatment?

What about les enfants?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I pay Class 2 + 4, my DH pays Class 3. Does that mean one or both of us are eligible for NHS treatment?
dunno possibly
What about les enfants?
I would imagine if you guys are, then they are too.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Only if you live in Britain - or have done do in the previous 3 months. Like we said - it is a residency based system.

Please see the link I posted earlier in the thread for details.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doodle
Thanks for this information, very helpful. Well it looks like my family and I are not entitled to any NHS care in Britain or Spain. Not a surprise regarding Spain but a bit of a surprise for the UK. May be it was wishful thinking but I thought that as my husband and I are British citizens who had lived in the UK for 38 and 34 years respectively, never having claimed social security in our lives and have been away for work for six years basic NHS treatment would be granted for us. I wonder how many other people know or dont care about this, I know loads of people, expats, who regularly go to the UK and get medical treatment by simply going to the emergency room. They have never been asked for any ID let alone any documention as the Dept. of Health insist on. I'm glad I found out as I would hate to be considered a 'sponger' draining the NHS of funds. It appears that the five year mark is the magic number, after that you are on your own regardless of how many years you have lived in the UK or how much you have paid towards the NHS. Out of curiosity I wonder how the other European countries treat their expats? Just a thought.
My son developed bad asthma for the brief time we were back in the UK in 2003, so we made an emergency appointment for him. Brought along his medical card and explained we were now living in the USA, so didn't hide anything. Thought we would be charged but just had to fill in the form and that was it. Went away with prescription for an inhaler and antibiotics.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjmb
My son developed bad asthma for the brief time we were back in the UK in 2003, so we made an emergency appointment for him. Brought along his medical card and explained we were now living in the USA, so didn't hide anything. Thought we would be charged but just had to fill in the form and that was it. Went away with prescription for an inhaler and antibiotics.
Yep - the rules are hardly enforced.

But are you entitled to this under the guidelines - probably not.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:50 pm
@matthewb76

Yep - the rules are hardly enforced.

But are you entitled to this under the guidelines - probably not.
I thought emergency treatment was ok?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I thought emergency treatment was ok?
In ER / A&E not at a GP.

Please check the link I previously provided for guidelines.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:18 pm
@matthewb76

In ER / A&E not at a GP.

Do I have to pay for emergency treatment if I have an accident?

Regardless of residential status or nationality, emergency treatment given at Primary Care Practices (a GP) or in Accident and Emergency departments or a Walk-in Centre providing services similar to those of a hospital Accident and Emergency department is free of charge.

In the case of treatment given in an Accident and Emergency department or Walk-in Centre the exemption from charges will cease to apply once the patient is formally admitted as an in-patient (this will include emergency operations and admittance to High Dependency Units) or registered at an outpatient clinic.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...711&chk=whW6Pd
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

In ER / A&E not at a GP.

When I worked in at UCH in London a mate of mine worked in the admin office. He told me they had 'no possible way of collecting any fees from anyone', unless they had made special arragements with a consultant doctor before for treatment and paid in advance. So although technically not permitted, I don't know of any GP or hospital in the UK that would actually present a bill to a person.

Most NHS employees I know (I'm an ex-one myself) have such a deep hatred of private medicine that they would on principle not ask for payment, especially if that person was a Brit would have come over from the USA for treatment because they couldn't afford it in the US.

I think anyone who has or still contributes to UK taxation should be eligible for NHS treatment**my personal opinion**.

And let's all be honest here, as great as the US is, if most people were diagnosed with a brain tumour, HIV or cancer, most of use would be on the first plane to Heathrow (a liver transplant here requires an up front payment of $100,000!!...no money to pay, then you die).
I know i don't have the money to meet 20% deductibles and whatever else the treatment might cost, and I certainly wouldn't want my home repossessed, car impounded or have to declare bankruptcy and have shite credit for the rest of my life.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
When I worked in at UCH in London a mate of mine worked in the admin office. He told me they had 'no possible way of collecting any fees from anyone', unless they had made special arragements with a consultant doctor before for treatment and paid in advance. So although technically not permitted, I don't know of any GP or hospital in the UK that would actually present a bill to a person.

Most NHS employees I know (I'm an ex-one myself) have such a deep hatred of private medicine that they would on principle not ask for payment, especially if that person was a Brit would have come over from the USA for treatment because they couldn't afford it in the US.

I think anyone who has or still contributes to UK taxation should be eligible for NHS treatment**my personal opinion**.

And let's all be honest here, as great as the US is, if most people were diagnosed with a brain tumour, HIV or cancer, most of use would be on the first plane to Heathrow (a liver transplant here requires an up front payment of $100,000!!...no money to pay, then you die).
I know i don't have the money to meet 20% deductibles and whatever else the treatment might cost, and I certainly wouldn't want my home repossessed, car impounded or have to declare bankruptcy and have shite credit for the rest of my life.
In terms of morality - I agree with you. It is really tough for those who paid taxes for years and years.

Even though I have been away for three and a bit years - I can still get it because I work for the gov't. For which I am grateful, but I am very thankful for the excellent insurance I have in the US - I really feel for those who are uninsured in the US - Morally disgusting. Big NHS believer me!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:08 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

What about les enfants?
NI contributions have nothing to do with the NHS. The NHS is soley funded by the tax payer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.