Just Joined

anna_banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie to New York

Everyone is tested as a new driver.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:21 am
Just Joined

anna_banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry, I think I'm using the wrong lingo.

I need to pass a 'written' (as it is called) multiple choice 'written' test. Then I have to do 5 hours classroom. Then I have to pass a road test.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are not using the wrong lingo. It is called the written test. Many Brits here call it the practical test.

You will stand in front of a machine and answer multi-choice questions. In the old days, it was done by hand, hence the name "written" test.

This test is done for those who are getting their license and those, like yourself, who have foreign licenses (not Canadians) and require a NYS license. You can't exchange a foreign license but have to get a new driver's license and follow the same steps apparently as anyone who never had a license before.

From the NYS DMV website:

What if I become a resident of New York State?

If you become a New York State resident, you must get a New York State driver license within 30 days. If you have a valid driver license issued by another U.S. state or territory, federal district or Canadian province, you may be eligible to exchange it for a New York driver license (see Exchange an out-of-state license).

If your license was issued outside the U.S. or Canada, you must apply for a new original NYS driver license at a DMV office (see Get a driver license).

Last edited by Rete; Sep 9th 2016 at 1:37 am.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

We did the written test, two years ago, at Yonkers DMV. It is, indeed a sh*tshow there, but really the worst of it is just waiting in line for an hour or two. Actually taking the test and completing the learner's permit application took less than an hour, once we got to the head of the line.

We did our five-hour course and booked our road tests through our driving instructor (Adrian's Driving School in Tarrytown and Mt Kisco who I thoroughly recommend). He also booked us our road tests preceded by an hour's lesson concentrating on parallel parking and three-point turns for the road test. That was in Yorktown Heights in northern Westchester and was booked a month in advance.

I learnt to drive from scratch, so took about 25 1-hour lessons. My wife hadn't driven since she left the US ten years before so she had a couple of refreshers before taking the road test. If you've been driving immediately before your move to the US I'd say maybe take one lesson just to be familiar with what the examiner will want. The actual road test is a joke. Driving for ten minutes, parallel park behine another car but nothing behind you and a three-point turn on an empty road wide enough to land a 747 on.

One thing to note. You cannot drive yourself to the road test! Instant failure if you do. For that reason alone it's worth using an instructor to do the test.

Welcome to Westchester BTW. We're in Sleepy Hollow near the river.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:37 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

I did the written test last August at Newburgh. Thats an interesting place(!).

Anyhoo, took about 20ish mins to get put in a little classroom type environment just off to the side of the main DMV area, where I did a multiple choice test on paper. Completed it and handed it to a counter in the room where it was immediately checked and they told me there and then if I passed or failed. They then take you back into the main area to take your photo and give you a paper license permit whilst your permit card is printed and sent out (was about 2 weeks if I recall). I would have liked to have seen one of the fancy machines someone mentioned in this thread though!

- As other people have said, NYS only accepts Canadian/other U.S licenses for a straight swap *but* as I said, you're expected to surrender any foreign licenses you have... so don't mention anything about it - they'll treat you as a new driver anyway so its not worth mentioning at the DMV.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

TartanInNY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome to the area!! I live in Westchester too and hubby works in the Mamaroneck/Larchmont area!

Great store for some British food if you ever feel homesick: jerrys (Boston post road in rye)

It's a nice area so hopefully you settle in nice and quickly! I have a core group of American friends but I must say sometimes hanging out with a few Brits watching the footy can be a nice change.

You'll get used to all the differences such as words (line v que etc), people not understanding you and the health care system etc.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TartanInNY
..... You'll get used to all the differences such as words (line v que etc), people not understanding you and the health care system etc.
Er, it's "queue". And I am not sure that anyone ever "gets used to" the healthcare system.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:25 am
Just Joined

TartanInNY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, it's "queue". And I am not sure that anyone ever "gets used to" the healthcare system.
You're right on both counts!! my bad on the spelling