Reload this Page >

Newbie to New York

Newbie to New York

Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

anna_banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie to New York

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Your lawyers are wrong. You go to the SSA office with your passport, stamped visa, proof of your husband's status and your I-94. My SSN was mailed to me about 7 days later. It was a good 2 months after this that I got round to applying for my EAD and I have several friends who haven't bothered with an EAD at all, but still got their SSN at the same time as their L1 spouse.

Can't help with NY driving advice as it's completely different in Il.
Thanks loubiblu.

It's a blummin minefield isn't it? I can't believe the amount of conflicting advice we have had along the way from lawyers and relocation people. Not to mention the 'expat' car company waiting (but not telling us) on our drivers licenses to permanently register the car. Err.....we don't have NYS licenses yet!

These are meant to be the experts in this stuff!
Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:44 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

On the insurance front, it was way way easier than in the UK (I've found at least), I joined my partners plan with USAA, and despite having a new license and slim to 0 driving experience in the U.S, I was classed as a 'competent' driver having a full UK drivers license (classed as an advanced driving country?), so it pushed everyone's monthly fees down - significantly!

We pay less here than I did with Admiral back in the UK
Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

That's interesting living - we are paying way more than the UK with State Farm but we are currently insured on UK driving licenses.

Should we change when we get NYS licenses?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:52 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd definitely give them a call - We called USAA when I first got here and they said I only needed to be added to the policy once I was a full US license holder. I've only driven here on a U.S permit/full license so have no idea how it affects pricing being on a UK based license.

I know its a legal requirement to notify them to any changes in your immigration though, so when my Green Card finally arrived (long story), I gave them the card number - and they took a few other bits of info from it too. So bear that in mind when your EAD card comes through!

Just remembered - Be aware there are restrictions on where you can drive and when, when you have your NYS permit (Manhattan is a no-no, as is a number of bridges and pending your age, times at night). I have no idea if this affects you on a UK license (and would only be a problem if you get pulled over). I think the main reason for Manhattan is box blocking, one way streets and angry taxis.

Last edited by livinginnyc; Sep 8th 2016 at 3:54 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a couple of meetup.com brit things when I first moved to NYC, but it was really weird. Just loads of people moaning about living in the US. I would recommend you check out the St Georges Society of New York. Great way to meet people, charitable, good events etc..they won't have any events near Scarsdale, but it's an easy train into the city.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna_banana
Does anyone else live in Scarsdale? I have added myself to the map and see there is potentially one other expat here. Otherwise, are there any meet ups in NYC?
Welcome to the area! May I suggest that, rather than seeking out Brits, you try to get to know the members of your new community? You say you have dogs, so you could volunteer at the local pound, meet people at area dog parks -- whatever you are interested in (gym, library, soup kitchen volunteer), look for like-minded people rather than kvetching ex-pats! (Now there's a good NY word for you to learn!)
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
I went to a couple of meetup.com brit things when I first moved to NYC, but it was really weird. Just loads of people moaning about living in the US. ....
Sounds a lot like BE!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 8th 2016 at 7:45 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Welcome to the area! May I suggest that, rather than seeking out Brits, you try to get to know the members of your new community? You say you have dogs, so you could volunteer at the local pound, meet people at area dog parks -- whatever you are interested in (gym, library, soup kitchen volunteer), look for like-minded people rather than kvetching ex-pats! (Now there's a good NY word for you to learn!)
I've met loads of people at dog parks - dogs are a great ice breaker

Our neighbours are also great and have been very welcoming. 1 family are from Jordan, another from NY and the other family are from Guyana.

My parents went ex-pat when I was 7 and I've lived all over the world. I'm not seeking a Brit only community - I'm looking for all communities :-)

And this forum has been really helpful when I was doing my research prior to moving here so I thought it polite to introduce myself.

Thanks also to another poster who suggested St Georges - I'll take a look.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Hotscot, 5 hours classroom!

I've also looked at a recommended Westchester driving school on here. I'm going to go for the 1 hour lesson and road test package - $150.

Just trying to decide if I brave Yonkers DMV for my written test or make a day of it in Manhattan!
DO NOT GO TO THE YONKERS DMV. I'm serious.

You are close to White Plains and that is a far better office to go to for the test.

I lived in Yonkers for 68 years and only used that office twice in all that time and always went to White Plains.

Also if you need to go to a social security office, again DO NOT USE THE YOUNKERS SS OFFICE. Use the one on Knollwood Avenue in Greenburg.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 9th 2016 at 12:40 am.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to look into getting your Westchester County Park Pass which allows you to use the various parks, pools, dog playgrounds, golf courses available in Westchester.

If you want to volunteer with animals, I use to be one for Posh Pets in the Greenburg PetSmart. Lovely people, and very worthwhile.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:42 am
Just Joined

White plains don't do the written test.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:43 am
Concierge

Hi living

Thanks for the welcome!

Can I ask how did you get your SSN pre-EAD? Our lawyers have told us I can't......
K-1 visa is one way. There are few visas that will allow you to get the SS card before the EAD.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:45 am
Concierge

White Plains doesn't do the written test? Sorry about my recommendation then. I'm not had to take the written test in 50 years.

If you must use the Yonkers office, I recommend getting there super early. The Yonkers waterfront has been rebuilt over the last decade is actually quite nice now with the daylighting of the Saw Mill River that empties into the Hudson. Parking is a little sparse, though there is a municipal parking lot on Buena Vista about 6 blocks away from the office.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

"Written test"! What written test? ..... I don't remember doing a written test. .... Are you sure that you haven't been entered for testing as a new driver, as a opposed to an immigrant driver with a foreign licence?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:07 am
Just Joined

It's the learner multi choice test Pulaski.

I'm starting to worry now.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.