Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Residents / Florida/ Driving Licence

New Residents / Florida/ Driving Licence

Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Residents / Florida/ Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Of course they aren't signatories to the lease, but they should be listed as residents. Why wouldn't a landlord require a list of authorized residents?
Originally Posted by Rete
I know you enjoy bating me, but after renting apartments in New York for over 47 years, none of my landlords and/or management companies required the names of children for the lease or even asked if I had children.

Why would they? Children grow up and move away. You get divorced and the kids move out to live with the other parent. And what if you have more children? Is it mandated that you need to go to the landlord/management company and advise them that you have given birth to John Francis the III on January 1, 2018 so their records are up-to-date? No, it is not.

Now if it is a matter of adults living in the apartment, then yes, the lease can be, but does not have to be, included on the lease as a signatory when originally signed. My management company didn't give a rats' ass about my marriage in 1998 and didn't add my husband to the lease or in any of the subsequent renewals.

Here in Florida, the nationwide slum landlord, otherwise known as American Homes 4 Rent, requires all persons resident in their rental to be listed on the agreement. At the time this included my two year old step grand-daughter.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
.... Why would they? .....
Legal liability. If someone claims some injury, what right do they have to be in the home? In the case of small children it has very specific relevance to lead paint liability, so birth or adoption of a child to previously childless couple would be highly relevant. Older children/ teenagers can engage in criminal activity, so it would make sense for the landlord to know who is living there.

Those are off the top of my head. I might be able to think of more.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sister Luck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi...I live in Florida (Orlando). Although, I'm American and have lived here forever.

You may be able to set up a postal box at the post office near where you think you'll be settling. If I recall correctly (and I am fuzzy on this), the DMV will accept a PO box as an address. I moved out of state about a decade ago and was like you...a bit bouncing about before I found a permanent residence when I returned to Florida. And I remember a PO box was listed as my address on the license itself. Hopefully, that can be a solution...and a relatively cheap one too. PO boxes don't cost much at all and then you have a place for ALL YOUR MAIL to go and you just go collect in at your convenience.

I will tell you that your driving license will only be good for one year and it will be stamped TEMPORARY. Each year on your birthday (or sometime just before) you will be required to go renew it. Pain in the arse for sure. My British husband has had to do it for 16 years. Now that's changing his E-2 status to marriage green card, that nonsense may finally cease. But we aren't sure on that.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 3rd 2017 at 3:36 pm. Reason: Please read our Site Rules...advertising is not allowed
Old Nov 5th 2017, 2:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sister Luck
Hi...I live in Florida (Orlando). Although, I'm American and have lived here forever.

You may be able to set up a postal box at the post office near where you think you'll be settling. If I recall correctly (and I am fuzzy on this), the DMV will accept a PO box as an address. I moved out of state about a decade ago and was like you...a bit bouncing about before I found a permanent residence when I returned to Florida. And I remember a PO box was listed as my address on the license itself. Hopefully, that can be a solution...and a relatively cheap one too. PO boxes don't cost much at all and then you have a place for ALL YOUR MAIL to go and you just go collect in at your convenience. ....
There are now rules, which a number of states still don't comply with, that govern the validity of state drivers licenses as reliable IDs, and therefore if a PO Box was previously accepted as an "address" for the purposes of obtaining a DL, I suspect that that might no longer be the case.