Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Old Nov 25th 2017, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

We moved in 2013 from London to Los Gatos. We rented a 3 bed 1800sq ft terraced house for $3900. The following year the rent increased to $4100. The following year the landlord wanted to increase the rent to $4500. We left and bought instead.

If your husband’s office is in MV do you really need to live in SF? I ask because it’s considerably more expensive there plus I believe it’s more of a lottery system where the public schools are concerned.

We basically picked the school district we wanted using https://www.greatschools.org and then found a rental within the boundary.

Just as a warning - life in the Bay Area is super expensive. It’s really insane how much things cost here. That said, it’s a beautiful place to live - amazing weather, great location with so many options just a few hours away - we love it here.

Good luck with your move. Like others have said, try and work a Green Card into the contract. It’ll give you options should you want to stay.