Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new immigrant and Obamacare

new immigrant and Obamacare

Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new immigrant and Obamacare

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Whatever happened to the sponsor's obligation to support said immigrant so that they would not be a burden on public funds?

Surely Medicaid is a public fund?
Boiler doesn't agree and perhaps he is right.

I agree with you and perhaps we are right. Your financial sponsor is responsible for any means tested monies/benefits you receive. Medicaid are for those who cannot afford medical insurance and as such can or should be a means tested benefit.

Either way the OP must make up his mind what he wants to do. Find employment which offers benefits and attend college part time or become a full time student and work part time to qualify for the subsidiaries or hedge his bets that he won't get sick again or if he does, he can go back to Canada and claim health care up north.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 11:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Let's face it - the health system in the US is a mess. It's one of the worst things about living here. Health CARE is generally very good - IF you can get it. It's the health INSURANCE system that is such a monumental disaster. The red tape costs billions. The US is the only major, developed country that does not provide universal healthcare - other countries can do so at lower cost, with higher life expectancy and lower infant mortality.
I don't agree that it is generally very good. This is a talking point trotted out so much it's become a myth. Doctors in the US imx simply are pill dispensers and they dispense what's been marketed to them as the "best".

I thought about moving back to the US (prior to Trump winning) but I didn't because I got ill and the care I got in the US was total rubbish (and obviously very expensive) compared to what I got at home.

There are drugs that are considered bog standard in Canada (and in the UK, I checked) that are considered highly exotic in the US, even though they're a better medication, simply because they cost slightly more than some obsolete old rubbish medication, my GP in Canada couldn't believe it when I showed him what had been prescribed.

As one very very simple example (although the most extreme), most insulin-dependent diabetics I come across in the US seem to still be using Humulin R and Humulin NPH because it's cheap, whereas in Canada it's completely obsolete. In Canada, a 10ml vial of Novolog or Fiasp costs CAD$35, at Wal-Mart in the US it costs $314.99.

Standard BP medication in the US is Lisinopril, which is cheap as dirt but has side-effects, whereas in Canada it is Perindopril, which is more concentrated (so the pills are smaller) and has no side-effects.

The list goes on. Of course if the drug is on-patent and heavily promoted, oh yeah then your American doctor will recommend it.

Doctors also tend to over prescribe in the US, one medication I was on, my Canadian GP said he was only allowed to prescribe a very small amount as it is a narcotic, but in the US the doctor prescribed me a ton of the stuff.

Preventative care is also shit in the US.

You might say, oh, they're good at doing XYZ operation on you, but that isn't day-to-day healthcare for most people. And I don't think I believe that either based on the number of deaths in the US from medical misadventure, look at Joan Collins.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

john09_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point about the 'Plan' part.
i live in VA which doesnt expand Medicaid anyway through obamacare, so i know the Obamacare Tax credit given in my state isnt related to medicaid in any form, but i wasnt sure if these credits are a different means tested program & based on previous responses i am leaning towards they are not.
my first priority is not to get anything from the government that is remotely close to means tested benefits for immigration purposes, the rest is manageable.