Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Originally Posted by A I
I find the desire to ID illegals and the total rejection of an ID card that identifies you as a legal citizen to be in total contradiction, but that is the underling desire of the public. No national ID, and find the illegals. (How to tell them apart is the question.)
By hassling those that look and/or sound "foreign". That's the way these laws play out until they get challenged and they are found totally or partially unconstitutional. Far better, imo, to go after businesses that repeatedly flout immigrations laws by employing illegal immigrants. Of course, the Republicans are less keen to do that...
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:29 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Even some Republicans that voted FOR the bill had serious concerns about the bill, geez, and the republicans accuse the democrats for passing a Health Care Bill that's not perfect (I know it's not the same group of Republicans voting in the State congress)
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:32 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Far better, imo, to go after businesses that repeatedly flout immigrations laws by employing illegal immigrants.
It's worse than that - I'm writing a paper on human trafficking and there are documented cases of employers deliberately turning migrant workers illegal (e.g. by destroying the papers of folks on H2s) in order to more effectively exploit them.

By hassling those that look and/or sound "foreign". That's the way these laws play out until they get challenged and they are found totally or partially unconstitutional.
But the victim has to be the "right kind of foreign" in order to have some organisation take up their case. Most Brits would have FA chance of getting any help.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:53 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Far better, imo, to go after businesses that repeatedly flout immigrations laws by employing illegal immigrants. Of course, the Republicans are less keen to do that...

It is clear the current broken system is the best one for those in power to change it, otherwise they would have fixed it by now.

MY simple fix to get rid of 80% of illegal immigrants within 90 days...

1) require and enforce 7 days jail time per violation to the signer of the I-9 when it is filled in fraudulently, or 7 days to the signer of the payroll check if there is not an i-9 on file.

2)must be legal resident to enroll in public school.

Crude, but would work !!!! most all come to work and to give better education to their children.

However this will never happen as our system would be severely impacted, at least on the short term. Just the number of teachers in Houston (where I live) that would be fired due to lack of students is huge.Also, 20 million estimated illegal. I bet at least 30% work in some capacity. What would be the impact of this work force being unable to work on the short term ?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a load of b@llocks.

It's doing something for the sake of looking good whilst hiding the racist motivation behind it. They aren't going to go ask some Pikey if he's a legit alien or not, so clearly it's just a load of racist wank.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
This is how it starts. Welcome to the Police State and a "your papers please" society. Fortunately it's likely to be struck down as unconstitutional in Federal Court I hope.

Exactly. The ACLU will have a field day with this.
They already have instances of Hispanics being confronted/forced to prove their status now, including those who were born and raised in America.

More and more I'm convinced that Arizona is really messed up with it comes to their laws. Too many people fancying themselves as in the 'wild wild west' perhaps.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Apr 15th 2010 at 1:10 am.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
What would be the impact of this work force being unable to work on the short term ?
Millions of dollars worth of food wouldn't get picked and go off, roads wouldn't get built...etc, etc, etc....this country is built on that kind of exploitation and trying to hide the fact.

Fining companies who employ illegals would be the easy solution, but they don't want to do that.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

By hassling those that look and/or sound "foreign". That's the way these laws play out until they get challenged and they are found totally or partially unconstitutional. Far better, imo, to go after businesses that repeatedly flout immigrations laws by employing illegal immigrants. Of course, the Republicans are less keen to do that...
Course they won't do that, they don't want to get voted out of office when the voters discover multiple businesses shuttering around them. These businesses contribute a lot of money to their campaigns just so they would stay off their backs. They could have easily passed laws a long time ago but didn't.

Originally Posted by A I
It is clear the current broken system is the best one for those in power to change it, otherwise they would have fixed it by now.

MY simple fix to get rid of 80% of illegal immigrants within 90 days...

1) require and enforce 7 days jail time per violation to the signer of the I-9 when it is filled in fraudulently, or 7 days to the signer of the payroll check if there is not an i-9 on file.

2)must be legal resident to enroll in public school.

Crude, but would work !!!! most all come to work and to give better education to their children.

However this will never happen as our system would be severely impacted, at least on the short term. Just the number of teachers in Houston (where I live) that would be fired due to lack of students is huge.Also, 20 million estimated illegal. I bet at least 30% work in some capacity. What would be the impact of this work force being unable to work on the short term ?
There are millions of unemployment Americans waiting to take their place. Get rid of the illegals, there will be plenty of Americans to take their place.
Look at this article.
"
The myth becomes truth if amended to read: Illegal immigrants accept jobs that American workers won't do for poverty level wages and no benefits (including healthcare)."

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a load of b@llocks.

It's doing something for the sake of looking good whilst hiding the racist motivation behind it. They aren't going to go ask some Pikey if he's a legit alien or not, so clearly it's just a load of racist wank.
Bob don't be so quick of calling them racist, because of it were China on our border, then they would be frisking and profiling for Chinese, if it was Russia, they'd look for Russians.

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Apr 15th 2010 at 1:30 am.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
More and more I'm convinced that Arizona is really messed up with it comes to their laws. Too many people fancying themselves as in the 'wild wild west' perhaps.
I think you're right. The old Wild West mentality is hard to shake off.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
There are millions of unemployment Americans waiting to take their place. Get rid of the illegals, there will be plenty of Americans to take their place.
This makes interesting reading though http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8533172.stm admittedly British layabouts rather than Americans but the point remains that half of them seemed a little work shy.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure about that ... and definitely not at the wages the illegals are working at. So ... pay a fair wage, you might say. I wouldn't disagree, but that will mean higher prices, etc. and people won't want to pay.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure about that ... and definitely not at the wages the illegals are working at. So ... pay a fair wage, you might say. I wouldn't disagree, but that will mean higher prices, etc. and people won't want to pay.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...mprices19.html

Seattle Times says that price differences at the grocery market will only be affected less than 10%.

"A decade ago, two Iowa State University agricultural economists estimated that removing all illegal farmworkers would raise wages for seasonal farmworkers by 30 percent in the first couple of years, and 15 percent in the medium term.

But supermarket prices of summer-fall fruits and vegetables, they concluded, would rise by just 6 percent in the short run — dropping to 3 percent over time, as imports took up some of the slack and some farmers mechanized their operations or shifted out of labor-intensive crops. (Winter-spring produce would be even less affected, they found, because so much already is imported.)

If illegal workers disappeared from the apple harvest and wages for the remaining legal workers rose by 40 percent in response — and that entire wage increase were passed on to the consumer — that still would add less than 3 cents to the retail price of a pound of apples."
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're thinking grocery prices only. What about everything else? Tax implications? Social security contributions?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really?

"Americans don't stop by and ask for jobs right now," Brody says. "There is a 10 percent unemployment rate. And I've not had a single U.S. American stop by and ask for a job."

http://www.smfws.com/articles2010/ar...rt02142010.htm
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

You're thinking grocery prices only. What about everything else? Tax implications? Social security contributions?
Well naturally as the article points, if you get rid of the illegal immigrants, and replace with the people they affect most, African-Americans (who tend to be largely unskilled), wages would go up, and naturally higher wages means higher contributions for taxes. I think that'll eventually either balance out, or make a "profit" as in they will contribute more tax than just balancing out

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Oh really?

"Americans don't stop by and ask for jobs right now," Brody says. "There is a 10 percent unemployment rate. And I've not had a single U.S. American stop by and ask for a job."

http://www.smfws.com/articles2010/ar...rt02142010.htm
Read the first source I quoted http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...nd_low_wa.html

The reason why those Americans are not looking for jobs is illegal immigrants depress wages in certain sectors, namely the unskilled labor market. I doubt anyone here would want to be paid $3 or so an hour when minimum wage is $7.15+ across the country.

You have to look at the broader picture. Are they receiving unemployment benefits? One of my friends is one of those people that got laid off as a result of the economy, but he's eligible to get lots of unemployment (3 years according to him) thanks to the unemployment extensions granted by the Congress. So he's not gonna go out and look for work when he can get paid for free. Also, some of the unemployed have families to look after, so some of those might not want to work at a job where minimum wage is offered with no benefits that can't support their family

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Apr 15th 2010 at 1:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.