Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My first employed tax return.

My first employed tax return.

Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Krysalgir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My first employed tax return.

Sounds just like what my wife is experiencing right now with Deloitte...
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Krysalgir
Sounds just like what my wife is experiencing right now with Deloitte...
Ask your company for a warm live human to speak with at Deloitte in the US (the return will be prepared by Deloitte in Hyderabad, India; but you might prefer someone in the same time zone).
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Ask your company for a warm live human to speak with at Deloitte in the US (the return will be prepared by Deloitte in Hyderabad, India; but you might prefer someone in the same time zone).
Yes they have offered to do that to be fair, but I'm asking myself why I should bother taking an hour out of my schedule for them to talk me through their complicated system when I've already done it all on TurboTax (took all of 15 mins with W2 in hand) and I can just pay $40 and send it off.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

She had a call indeed, but even though the questions were rather comprehensive, their website seems to be a total pain to use. And there isn;t a lot of explanations on W2s for those who'd like to get the numbers.
Besides, we discovered there was the FBAR form in addition to FACTA when attending a conference on FR/US taxes!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Krysalgir
She had a call indeed, but even though the questions were rather comprehensive, their website seems to be a total pain to use. And there isn;t a lot of explanations on W2s for those who'd like to get the numbers.
Besides, we discovered there was the FBAR form in addition to FACTA when attending a conference on FR/US taxes!
What kind of explanation are you looking for on the W2s? They are really straightforward.

Turbo will do the FBAR and FACTA as well as the 1040.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Well the wages are WAY higher than what she earnt, UNLESS all the relocation expenses the company paid directly (ie we didn;t pay a penny, no reimbursement) is somehow considered as income and the taxes the company paid are added to her taxes.

Ah and actually they told her about FBAR, my bad
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Steering back on topic, I just wanted to close out this thread and say thanks to everyone who helped. I decided to go with TurboTax and spent one night running over Federal, and last night running over State taxes and while it took some time being my first attempt, I was comfortable and happy with it. I haven't filed just yet but will do it tonight (I was debating between giving them an extra $40 to take the fee out of my refund or paying by card).

I got a $2500 return so although not as much as I hoped given what I'd been told, I'm pretty happy with that and with my bonus it's a healthy lump for a house deposit!
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Steering back on topic, I just wanted to close out this thread and say thanks to everyone who helped. I decided to go with TurboTax and spent one night running over Federal, and last night running over State taxes and while it took some time being my first attempt, I was comfortable and happy with it. I haven't filed just yet but will do it tonight (I was debating between giving them an extra $40 to take the fee out of my refund or paying by card).

I got a $2500 return so although not as much as I hoped given what I'd been told, I'm pretty happy with that and with my bonus it's a healthy lump for a house deposit!
Did you also file a state return for WA where you lived and worked for 4 months in 2017.

What was a $2500 return? Or do you mean a $2500 refund?

Last edited by Rete; Feb 7th 2018 at 5:35 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:28 pm
Concierge

Fast forward to 2018. I have been working since May 2017 which involved relocating to a new state and my employer took out taxes for a full year, so I believe I will be due a nice sum back.

Thank you.
How did your employer take out taxes from your salary for the full year of 2018 when you only worked for approximately 6-1/2 months? That doesn't seem legal. Or perhaps you meant that they used your annual salary as the base for determination of what withholding taxes should be taken per pay period. Which is the proper way of doing withholding determination.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 7th 2018 at 5:35 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Did you also file a state return for WA where you lived and worked for 4 months in 2017.

What was a $2500 return? Or do you mean a $2500 refund?
I lived in WA but didn't work there. I tried filing a state rtn through turbotax but for some reason I couldn't select WA. I haven't filed yet so will check again tonight.

And yes, I meant $2500 refund.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
How did your employer take out taxes from your salary for the full year of 2018 when you only worked for approximately 6-1/2 months? That doesn't seem legal. Or perhaps you meant that they used your annual salary as the base for determination of what withholding taxes should be taken per pay period. Which is the proper way of doing withholding determination.
Yes that is what I meant, thanks for clarifying.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in WA but didn't work there. I tried filing a state rtn through turbotax but for some reason I couldn't select WA. I haven't filed yet so will check again tonight.

As there is no state income tax in WA, most people wouldn't need to file even if they worked. Same here in FL.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

That explains why I couldn't select it then, thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that a refund is just the IRS paying back an interest free loan of your money. It's not a good thing.

You'll want to review your withholdings going forward.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 2:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Remember that a refund is just the IRS paying back an interest free loan of your money. It's not a good thing.

You'll want to review your withholdings going forward.
While I agree with your point, some people are otherwise incapable of saving and would rather get a lump sum to spend on something at the beginning of the year.

I am selling a used car for $3k right now and am swatting them off with a stick due to the refunds beginning to hit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.