Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to West LA - best Private elementary schools?

Moving to West LA - best Private elementary schools?

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to West LA - best Private elementary schools?

Have you been to West LA? Do you really know what city you want to live in and if an appropriate rental is available to you? Are you being allowed to take a trip to LA before the move to sought out a place to live and to view the various towns you have mentioned? If so, then and only then should you attempt to do anything secure your child's educational institution. They are many variables to a move such as this and while the educational system is a priority item, you are thinking of placing the cart before the horse in wanting to secure a placement as you honestly cannot say where you will be living.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Yes if your going public I think that is definitely going to be a challenge. Private's do not to my knowledge have a catchment. How about and I don't know if these will work

Using your future employers address (assuming its close).

Speaking to the HR department and explaining your dilemma they may have a solution.

Opening a US mailbox account:
https://www.theupsstore.com/mailboxes
We are in Orange County so it might be different but we had to actually provide the school with a copy of our lease with our address before we could register our son in the public school system, so just mailbox address wouldn't have worked. I don't know anything about private schools in California, other than they are crazy expensive!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Havnfun
We are in Orange County so it might be different but we had to actually provide the school with a copy of our lease with our address ....
How hard would it be to print your own lease?
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 11:38 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How hard would it be to print your own lease?
I had a situation where the DMV would not recognize my lease because the name, rent amount, etc was written in in ink not typed (it was a template lease they just filled in the details). I looked at the guy like WTF and he said "don't worry--just go across the hall and register to vote. They'll accept a lease like that. Once you have your temporary voter ID card I can register you with that."

This was before 9/11 and motor voter rules but always remember that bureaucratic silliness.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 11:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I had a situation where the DMV would not recognize my lease because the name, rent amount, etc was written in in ink not typed (it was a template lease they just filled in the details). I looked at the guy like WTF and he said "don't worry--just go across the hall and register to vote. They'll accept a lease like that. Once you have your temporary voter ID card I can register you with that."

This was before 9/11 and motor voter rules but always remember that bureaucratic silliness.
There are all sorts of ways to game the address system - I have a PO Box, but my bank wouldn't accept a PO Box address, and back then (unlike now) you couldn't use the street address of the Post Office. .... However the bank's web site would accept P0 Box (P"zero" Box). "sneaky"
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

sunshine18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all good - had some great early contact with the schools and am a bit clearer now on process

Thanks for the help
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine18
Does look great but I think may be a little far out for us...shame!

think I have narrowed down the private options but as the fees so very high (v UK) - we looking now at some good Charters/Publics - still can't work out how we do this when places will be allocated before we even arrive and have an address for the application form?! (and you have to be in an attendance zone to apply!)
Not sure if I am not getting this but my cursory research shows that Southern CA public school districts allow for 'new to district' applications which you would surely be if moving from abroad? So am I missing something?
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine18
Does look great but I think may be a little far out for us...shame!

think I have narrowed down the private options but as the fees so very high (v UK) - we looking now at some good Charters/Publics - still can't work out how we do this when places will be allocated before we even arrive and have an address for the application form?! (and you have to be in an attendance zone to apply!)
It doesn't matter unless it is a private school. A public school must take your child if you are in their catchment area. Every child in the US is entitled to go to school whether they are here legally or illegally. You may think the classroom is overcrowded but they will have to make room for the child regardless.

Have you looked at the vaccination requirements necessary for school enrollment? If not, please do so. Your child must be up-to-date on all vaccinations at the time of registration.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
.... It doesn't matter unless it is a private school. A public school must take your child if you are in their catchment area. Every child in the US is entitled to go to school whether they are here legally or illegally. You may think the classroom is overcrowded but they will have to make room for the child regardless. ....
I don't believe that applies to Charter Schools (they aren't forced to take additional students when they are "full".)
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't believe that applies to Charter Schools (they aren't forced to take additional students when they are "full".)
AFAIK, one of my attorney/employers was head of the board of a charter school in Brooklyn. They are considered private schools, not public schools. So as I mentioned, it doesn't matter if the public school / classroom is full, they still have to take your child. I said that does not apply to private schools which will not accept a child if their school / classroom is full.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:43 pm

AFAIK, one of my attorney/employers was head of the board of a charter school in Brooklyn. They are considered private schools, not public schools. .....
Yes, I agree, and that is what I don't think was clear in your post #23. Your post was perfectly clear about public schools.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:52 pm
Concierge

You need to read the bolded quoted part first and then my post and it makes perfect sense

"still can't work out how we do this when places will be allocated before we even arrive and have an address for the application form?! "

"It doesn't matter unless it is a private school. Assume that the OP is smart enough to read that as "it only matters that the places are all allocated before you move, if it is a private school. A public school must take your child if you are in their catchment area. Every child in the US is entitled to go to school whether they are here legally or illegally. You may think the classroom is overcrowded but they will have to make room for the child regardless."
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 11:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I should also note that California has what is known as "school choice" allowing students to attend whatever public school they want, sort of.

Basically, first 'choice' is go to the school that is in your cachement. This is the guaranteed way to go to a school you want--live next to it.

Second is called an "intra-district" transfer. Live in the school district (i.e. the city or community of several schools) and transfer from Elementary A to Elementary B, if there are spaces available.

Third is called an "inter-district" transfer. Live in school district A and transfer to school district B. These are rarer and fewer, but can also be done (often done for commuting or sports reasons).

The details are here, but you'll have to drill down deep to find your community / district and school to see if they participate.

District Transfers - California Department of Education FAQ (CA Dept of Education)
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 11:30 pm

You need to read the bolded quoted part first and then my post and it makes perfect sense. ...

"still can't work out how we do this when places will be allocated before we even arrive and have an address for the application form?! "

"It doesn't matter unless it is a private school. Assume that the OP is smart enough to read that as "it only matters that the places are all allocated before you move, if it is a private school. A public school must take your child if you are in their catchment area. Every child in the US is entitled to go to school whether they are here legally or illegally. You may think the classroom is overcrowded but they will have to make room for the child regardless."
"There are three sorts of school, but I am only going to tell you how two of them work."
Old Oct 4th 2017, 5:48 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter unless it is a private school. A public school must take your child if you are in their catchment area. Every child in the US is entitled to go to school whether they are here legally or illegally. You may think the classroom is overcrowded but they will have to make room for the child regardless.
I live in Los Angeles and my children went all the way through L.A. Unified. Even so, I can't comment intelligently on the subject. That said...

I wouldn't be too sure about "catchment areas" when it comes to L.A. Unified. I can't say I've kept up with the details, but public school enrollment is no longer pure neighborhood.

I have no idea how Santa Monica/Malibu Unified nor the South Bay Districts work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.