Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to usa

Moving to usa

Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to usa

I won't answer each above individually, but yes I have done the math (as they say).

Due to the length of time to setup my move, I've been able to (some would say anally) cost everything up.

Its all in a nice spreadsheet and I have been updating it as I actually take on contracts and the like.

The cost of rental properties in Texas for a 3 bed detached house would be around $1500. We are paying $1750 for a 4 bed with appliances (which is unusual in Texas!).

Phone contracts are on a par with what I would have to pay here i.e. £35 a month (single line) gets me everything (unlimited) and a Samsung Phone. I've got a T-Mobile contract for $140 a month for 4 lines with Samsung Phones, 10G LTE data (then unlimited 3G). I have to put about $200 down because of my credit rating.

Looking at the cable packages, its similar cost. Sky would want £95 for the first 6 months for what Grande want $150 for.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markcst
I won't answer each above individually, but yes I have done the math (as they say).

Due to the length of time to setup my move, I've been able to (some would say anally) cost everything up.

Its all in a nice spreadsheet and I have been updating it as I actually take on contracts and the like.

The cost of rental properties in Texas for a 3 bed detached house would be around $1500. We are paying $1750 for a 4 bed with appliances (which is unusual in Texas!).

Phone contracts are on a par with what I would have to pay here i.e. £35 a month (single line) gets me everything (unlimited) and a Samsung Phone. I've got a T-Mobile contract for $140 a month for 4 lines with Samsung Phones, 10G LTE data (then unlimited 3G). I have to put about $200 down because of my credit rating.

Looking at the cable packages, its similar cost. Sky would want £95 for the first 6 months for what Grande want $150 for.
I was the same before we moved as long as you know the prices you can work to a budget!

Ive seen so many people come over not do the maths signed a bad contract and finding there struggling to live month to month..

Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick.simpson19
I was the same before we moved as long as you know the prices you can work to a budget! Ive seen so many people come over not do the maths signed a bad contract and finding there struggling to live month to month..
I knew there was the possibility of having to pay a mortgage in the UK for possibly 12 months. So as we are now under offer on our house, I think I'll have a fair "error and omissions" element in the budget!

I am in the lucky position that I will have paid off every single debt in the UK once the house is sold and have equity for a house there (thus reducing my rental costs when we can buy!)

Like I said very anal...
Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markcst
I knew there was the possibility of having to pay a mortgage in the UK for possibly 12 months. So as we are now under offer on our house, I think I'll have a fair "error and omissions" element in the budget!

I am in the lucky position that I will have paid off every single debt in the UK once the house is sold and have equity for a house there (thus reducing my rental costs when we can buy!)

Like I said very anal...
No its very sensible approach! I always budgeted the fact I would need to pay my mortgage whilst in the US luckily I rented it out!

So its making me more money in the UK
Old Nov 17th 2015, 9:41 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

I did hear that the north of the US is a lot more expensive than Alabama, I think the area I moved to has seen a big influx of expats due to a lot of large company's moving to the area.

I have been in the USA for 3 months.... in general I find clothes and gas (petrol) cheap!

Cell Contracts, Car Insurance, Cable TV/Internet and Groceries are high cost.... compared to the UK.

Cell Contracts UK Sim only $40 maximum for two phones in the USA $80 similar terms.

Cable TV/Internet in the UK $80 in the USA $139.

Groceries in the uk $130 per week in the US $200.

Car Insurance and renters insurance UK $80 per month in the USA $209 per month (and i was told that was cheap)

Luckily my Health insurance is completely covered through work for the whole family... as Ive seen some of the prices people are paying per month! Make the NHS look cheap!
I am so surprised to hear that Alabama is more expensive than the UK! We will eventually be going to B'ham and each time I visit it appears to be much less expensive particularly the food.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WJS
I am so surprised to hear that Alabama is more expensive than the UK! We will eventually be going to B'ham and each time I visit it appears to be much less expensive particularly the food.
I am down in Mobile, Alabama in a really good area The Eastern Shore... Im a 45 minutes from Pensacola Beach, Florida and or Orange Beach Alabama these are two big vacation areas.

I to visited the area before I moved and I thought the same but once living here it has shocked me! Maybe its because we knew were to shop in the UK....eating out is reasonable though compared to the UK so that's a plus! Just general shopping is higher!

When do you move?

Nick
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
I am so surprised to hear that Alabama is more expensive than the UK! We will eventually be going to B'ham and each time I visit it appears to be much less expensive particularly the food. ....
I don't think it is. So far as I can tell it is cheaper than NC, and NC is generally cheaper than the UK, that's not to say everything is cheaper. I can certainly do a lot more with my salary in the US even though I have only just about got back to the salary (at prevailing exchange rates) that I earned in the UK fourteen years ago.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2015 at 11:31 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't think it is. So far as I can tell it is cheaper than NC, and NC is generally cheaper than the UK, that's not to say everything is cheaper. I can certainly do a lot more with my salary in the US even though I have only just about got back to the salary (at prevailing exchange rates) that I earned in the UK fourteen years ago.
In General your probably right..I think my outgoings have also gone up as I have bought two newish cars... were as in the Uk I had an older car... and we only had one in the house...

I find myself always converting back to the UK prices...
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In General your probably right..I think my outgoings have also gone up as I have bought two newish cars... were as in the Uk I had an older car... and we only had one in the house...

I find myself always converting back to the UK prices...
The "problem" is that most people find things to spend their money on rather than looking for the same they had in the UK. I replaced a 2-bed 700sqft terrace on 0.03acres, with a four bed 2,800 sqft house on 1.5 acres, and left behind a twelve year old car and replaced it with a Mustang GT, an F250, and an Accord "for commuting".

You will know you have truely settled in when you stop converting prices to GBP.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

The "problem" is that most people find things to spend their money on rather than looking for the same they had in the UK. I replaced a 2-bed 700sqft terrace on 0.03acres, with a four bed 2,800 sqft house on 1.5 acres, and left behind a twelve year old car and replaced it with a Mustang GT, an F250, and an Accord "for commuting".

You will know you have truely settled in when you stop converting prices to GBP.
I have a 11 year old Ford Mondeo in the UK 165k miles on it... still have it parked on my dads drive... we not have a 2013 SUV Hyundai Veracruze and 2013 Hyundai Sonata!

Home went from 900 sq ft to 1600 sq ft with pool...

In general I love the USA! I don't like the health system!

My wife went to walgreens today to collect some medication for my migranes which I have suffered with for 3/4 years!

The cost of 18 tablets $605!!! This is covered on insurance but my insurance is the sort I need to pay it out then claim it back...
Old Nov 18th 2015, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh that's the dream isn't it? Getting a pickup truck! I hope to think that when I move I won't be tying with the UK too much by trying to compare prices. Though I am really going to miss easily getting Squash! (Drink)

I have a 11 year old Ford Mondeo in the UK 165k miles on it... still have it parked on my dads drive... we not have a 2013 SUV Hyundai Veracruze and 2013 Hyundai Sonata!

My wife went to walgreens today to collect some medication for my migranes which I have suffered with for 3/4 years!

The cost of 18 tablets $605!!! This is covered on insurance but my insurance is the sort I need to pay it out then claim it back...
Good to know, thanks for posting
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:36 am
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

I am down in Mobile, Alabama in a really good area The Eastern Shore... Im a 45 minutes from Pensacola Beach, Florida and or Orange Beach Alabama these are two big vacation areas.

I to visited the area before I moved and I thought the same but once living here it has shocked me! Maybe its because we knew were to shop in the UK....eating out is reasonable though compared to the UK so that's a plus! Just general shopping is higher!

When do you move?

Nick
I know that area a little and hopefully it is more expensive than B'ham.

Migraine medicine which for $650, arghh!!!!

Not sure yet about the move. Good to hear you are happy in Alabama outside of the medical expenses which do have me very worried.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WJS
I know that area a little and hopefully it is more expensive than B'ham.

Migraine medicine which for $650, arghh!!!!

Not sure yet about the move. Good to hear you are happy in Alabama outside of the medical expenses which do have me very worried.
I am so lucky that my company cover all our health insurance entire family...and its worldwide cover... so when back in the UK we can seek private health care.

ON the WHole the HEalth System is ok its just very different, the privatisation of everything is truly shocking... and I would hate the NHS to turn into a private system... I think UK taxpayers needs to just pay a little more in to it to keep it afloat.

Thanks

NIck
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, I take Sumetriptan and even with my crappy insurance it's more like $3 per tablet.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

try a cost comparison for other pharmacies. I get a lot of stuff from Costco pharmacy for my lot, they can be much cheaper.
http://www.goodrx.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQi...NLAaAjkE8P8HAQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.