Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to usa

Moving to usa

Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to usa

Ref: EE and BT.

I work for BT. However I am in a senior position in the company with a skill only two people in BT have. I've been working my way into that position for just shy of 6 years. Of course I haven't suffered painfully to do that, though I may have had to take a few roles I wasn't keen on for a while.

I have been sponsored to come to the US and settle here and the package has been very generous, in fact the conversion from my UK Salary has been $2 to the £1 and I upped my annual bonus to 20% from 10%.

As others said you have to do the math and look at the package. As BT is very generous with some benefits you have to think about the extra cost of that mobile, broadband and TV package in the US (which in BT UK is free for employees).

I did the math, I looked at the extra money I would be getting. I looked also at the job prospects beyond the visa period (assuming BT make good on the Green card promise).

I checked their medical scheme, I got my leave entitlement "grandfathered" over and my service record (which means I don't start ground zero on earning extra benefits).

I negotiated a great moving package which as Pulaski said is not cheap for them. I also insisted my wife got a working visa, not a "stay at home" oneBut back to the point on this thread.

You have to have a skill, a desire and a plan to get over here. And you have to show, even before you come, you have the desire and guile to make it work.Your chances as a sale advisor are zero.

It needs to be a senior management role or senior technical role. IT/Telecoms Sales people in the US are ten a penny and get sacked and picked back up weekly. Sorry that's just how it is.

Last edited by markcst; Nov 16th 2015 at 6:57 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Phillip2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never mind then. Maybe could look into spain ha
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Phillip2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou, im off to vegas and la next year least ill see america again soon
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markcst
Ref: EE and BT.

I work for BT. However I am in a senior position in the company with a skill only two people in BT have. I've been working my way into that position for just shy of 6 years. Of course I haven't suffered painfully to do that, though I may have had to take a few roles I wasn't keen on for a while.

I have been sponsored to come to the US and settle here and the package has been very generous, in fact the conversion from my UK Salary has been $2 to the £1 and I upped my annual bonus to 20% from 10%.

As others said you have to do the math and look at the package. As BT is very generous with some benefits you have to think about the extra cost of that mobile, broadband and TV package in the US (which in BT UK is free for employees).

I did the math, I looked at the extra money I would be getting. I looked also at the job prospects beyond the visa period (assuming BT make good on the Green card promise).

I checked their medical scheme, I got my leave entitlement "grandfathered" over and my service record (which means I don't start ground zero on earning extra benefits).

I negotiated a great moving package which as Pulaski said is not cheap for them. I also insisted my wife got a working visa, not a "stay at home" oneBut back to the point on this thread.

You have to have a skill, a desire and a plan to get over here. And you have to show, even before you come, you have the desire and guile to make it work.Your chances as a sale advisor are zero.

It needs to be a senior management role or senior technical role. IT/Telecoms Sales people in the US are ten a penny and get sacked and picked back up weekly. Sorry that's just how it is.
Have you moved yet? My actually salary went up £19k and yet I feel like Im no better off in the USA...

Its so expensive at first... buying cars... car insurance etc. Even rent is mega depending on were you live... I pay $1409 per months in a 3 bed apartment...it is high end but still high!

I get flights homes and I also get full medical cover including dental and optical with no copay which is awesome indeed...
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick.simpson19
depending on were you live... I pay $1409 per months in a 3 bed apartment...it is high end but still high!

A three bedroom apartment for $1409 a month? Is this the total amount for the apartment or your share of the place?

If the total amount, it sounds pretty good to me. I was paying 2,400 for a two bedroom in Sunnyvale CA some years ago. They are now $2,850 and the three bedrooms are "please call for price" !

..... at the time I was certainly not earning a Silicon Valley "hot shot" salary !

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Nov 17th 2015 at 1:00 am.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 1:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
A three bedroom apartment for $1409 a month? Is this the total amount for the apartment or your share of the place? .....
He's in Alabama, so $1,400 for an apartment in Alabama is pretty pricy.
Originally Posted by nick.simpson19
Have you moved yet? My actually salary went up £19k and yet I feel like Im no better off in the USA. ....
You moved to Alabama, got a $19,000 pay rise, and don't feel any better off?

That isn't so far removed from what happened to me when I moved to NC, except I got a roughly $20k pay cut but was massively better off, in terms of what I could afford.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2015 at 1:44 am.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Really think long and hard about what your motives are.

Not just some fuzzy "wanting a better lifestyle" - come up with definite concrete examples of why you think your life would be better, and what the downsides for you would be.
Then we'll tear your dreams up and piss on your hope.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

That isn't so far removed from what happened to me when I moved to NC, except I got a roughly $20k pay cut but was massively better off, in terms of what I could afford.
The $19k went to health insurance...
Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Really think long and hard about what your motives are.

Not just some fuzzy "wanting a better lifestyle" - come up with definite concrete examples of why you think your life would be better, and what the downsides for you would be.
Then we'll tear your dreams up and piss on your hope.

Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
The $19k went to health insurance...
Don't worry Pulaski will be along shortly to espouse the benefits of a high deductible plan...
Old Nov 17th 2015, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I did hear that the north of the US is a lot more expensive than Alabama, I think the area I moved to has seen a big influx of expats due to a lot of large company's moving to the area.

I have been in the USA for 3 months.... in general I find clothes and gas (petrol) cheap!

Cell Contracts, Car Insurance, Cable TV/Internet and Groceries are high cost.... compared to the UK.

Cell Contracts UK Sim only $40 maximum for two phones in the USA $80 similar terms.

Cable TV/Internet in the UK $80 in the USA $139.

Groceries in the uk $130 per week in the US $200.

Car Insurance and renters insurance UK $80 per month in the USA $209 per month (and i was told that was cheap)

Luckily my Health insurance is completely covered through work for the whole family... as Ive seen some of the prices people are paying per month! Make the NHS look cheap!
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You have to STOP comparing prices like that, but really compare them as a % of you monthly wage, yes things will be dearer/cheaper, but if they are 40% dearer, but you take home pay is 50% more, then they are really cheaper. It's only if everything is dearer, but your take home pay is less, then you can safely say that things are more expensive.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phillip2
Thankyou, im off to vegas and la next year least ill see america again soon
Sorted. A trip to LA and Las Vegas will soon put you off the idea of moving to the US.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorted. A trip to LA and Las Vegas will soon put you off the idea of moving to the US.
OMG! I had a lucky escape! I've never been to Las Vegas or LA, and I still don't like America very much!! (Mostly it's the mosquitoes, though.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.