Reload this Page >

Moving from Singapore to Seattle

Moving from Singapore to Seattle

Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:07 am
Just Joined

andilin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Singapore to Seattle

Hello,
We're in the final stages of accepting an offer to move to Seattle. We've lived in Singapore the past 6 years - two kids currently attending British school. Older child is currently in year 6 (which I suppose means he will go to grade 6 in the new school year?) and one in year 2 (grade 2 in new school year?).
Any suggestions for best schools (we would like to go public, before going private), neighborhoods with a good expat community? Work will be in Seattle around Westlake/Denny.
Thanks you!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Singapore to Seattle

I love Seattle. I've lived there before, and if we ever go back it will be the top of our list for where to settle.

Public schools are fine but depend on the neighbourhood. Generally, think east (towards Sammamish) or north (Queen Anne, Fremont and Wallingford). Fremont/Wallingford now are quite pricey - if you want a detached house with a garden the suburbs around Sammamish are something you might want to take a look at.

Generally in the US (and I think Seattle is the same but can't remember exactly) the public schools have intake areas and so you have to live in that intake area to send your children to that particular public school.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:11 am
Just Joined

andilin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! Would this areas you mentioned also have expat community? What are your thoughts about Bellevue and Mercer Island?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure the expat community in Seattle sticks to specific neighbourhoods - they are not concentrated in one or two places - perhaps others on this forum can be more help with that.

Bellevue is quite big and has allsorts. You can find something there just make sure you research it before. Mercer Island is quite nice.

Seattle traffic can be ferocious so that is something also to consider, however I wouldn't consider living in the Denny Triangle or the Westlake area, though there are high-end condos there.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:07 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

North Seattle here!

We were temporarily in Bellevue while we waited for our place to be ready for us. It has a large ethnic community and therefore a lot of ethnic food supermarkets and restaurants, which is nice for some variety. Bellevue propertiesget snapped up quickly from what I hear - Microsoft is responsible for that and the large number of out-of-state workers they are shipping in all the time. Traffic from Bellevue to Seattle is at a complete standstill every morning. So pleased I was commuting in the opposite direction!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there are any neighbourhoods with a British expat community, we are just scattered around. Most British people I have met work for Boeing or Microsoft, neither of which is in Seattle itself, so I guess Redmond would be the biggest concentration although the schools aren't very good. But in the Seattle area, the closer you live to where you work is a huge thing since traffic gets so bad.