Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to San Diego,CA USA

Moving to San Diego,CA USA

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to San Diego,CA USA

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
For opening a bank account you will need the following:
1. 2 pieces of ID - one of which must be a government issued one with a photo - your passport or driving license should work and they must be in English;

2. An address. Banks and branches seem to vary on this one. If you have a US address, then great bring the lease or whatever along, If you don't then you can use your work address so bring something with that address on it with your name. A verification of employment letter is perfect. You can sometimes use a friend's address. It has been suggested on BE that you can get a PO mailbox and just make it look like a regular street address. However, I have heard from colleagues in the last few weeks that some banks are checking the address online and not accepting these addresses. It really should be a proper residential address. At a push some banks will use your UK address provided you have a utility/tax bill to prove it is your address. Bear in mind that the address is needed to get the account approved, once it is approved you can change it. The approval is done instantly in the branch and is a federal requirement for opening the acccount.

3. Unless you have your social security number you can only get non-interest bearing accounts.

4. Most banks will charge for having the account and most of them will waive the fees if you are getting your salary paid in by direct deposit. You should ask for an account that does this.

Hoenstly, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a bank account but sometimes you get junior staff that can't cope with a foreigner. Either ask to speak to a manager or go to another bank/branch.
In short, under the USA PATRIOT Act, which governs the banks with respect to a number of things including knowing who their customers are, you are required to prove four things:
(i) Your name
(ii) Your address
(iii) Your date of birth, and
(iv) a "government issued ID number", for which the default is a US Social Security Number, and if you don't have one (yet) that is the thing that inexperienced bank branch staff are most likely to get wrong, because an SSN isn't required either by the USA PATRIOT Act, or the IRS (unless the account pays interest). ..... A passport number is sufficient for non-interest-paying accounts, as is a drivers license number - but many bank branch staff aren't aware of that fact.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 25th 2017 at 4:52 pm. Reason: Requested by Mr P
Old Aug 25th 2017, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by malch
...If you employer is affiliated with a Credit Union you might consider opening an account there. There are some pros and cons relative to the big banks. I did both...
Wise words. I work for Sony in Rancho Bernardo who are affiliated with The North County Credit Union (previously SSDEFCU). They were invaluable in getting me a credit card when nobody else would and getting me started in establishing a credit history.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:35 am
Just Joined

TaxRookie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ahkhan
Yes moving for work. My office location is in Rancho Bernardo so will be looking for a place to live close to that.
You're probably best to look at RB, Scripps Ranch, Penasquitos, Poway, In that order. Schools are all good if you have kids. Mira Mesa and Escondido will be more affordable but a longer commute. You'll need a car. Trains and buses are few and far between. Opening a bank account won't be an issue. As others have posted, pass your driving test asap then plan never to go into a DMV office again. If you must, make sure you book an appointment online or you may lose the will to live, the wait will be so long. Join AAA, they do a lot of DMV stuff, a lot quicker. Oh and if you have bank accounts in the UK, make sure you get good advice on what to do with them. There are onerous reporting requirements you want to make sure you follow.

Enjoy San Diego, it's pretty great