Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving our dogs over to the states

Moving our dogs over to the states

Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Bluenose2205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving our dogs over to the states

My wife and I are moving to Australia . We want to ship our 3 standard poodles to Atlanta Georgia . My wife's sister is going to home them at her house . How do we go about getting them into the states , do we have to inform the authorities in Georgia there are 3 poodles on the way . Are there forms to fill in . Many thanks . Ian
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving our dogs over to the states

If you do a search, you will find lots of threads on this topic. Here is an example from a few posts below yours:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...-878516/page2/

You will want to ensure the dogs are protected with current rabies shots, heartworm meds, and Lyme disease shots. Have your SIL check what kind of rabies vaccine is required in GA, and be aware that the temperature in Hotlanta may preclude shipping during the summer months.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What Nutmegger said, and be sure to check which type of rabies vaccine Georgia requires - some states specify a "live" vaccine.

Also, as you are not immigrating with your dogs, there will likely be a customs/duty issue based on the value of the dogs. If they are KC registered pedigree dogs and relatively young you could be looking at several hundred dollars of duty. ..... I don't know what the specific rate is for dogs, but a lot of things are dutiable at 6%, so a $3,000 dog would attact duty of $180.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Elliecat is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just moved 3 cats and 2 dogs from the UK to Maine flying in to Boston and used PetAir. Not cheap but worth every penny. They handle everything paperwork wise and the customs tax when we picked them up was $55 for the lot.