Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orange County CA... we think

Moving to Orange County CA... we think

Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orange County CA... we think

Yea, you can't really be that committed to going in the 1st place if you'd rather have been at Disney over exploring a possible future home...
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Yea, you can't really be that committed to going in the 1st place if you'd rather have been at Disney over exploring a possible future home...
Well, I don't know about that.

Lots say living anywhere near LA = living in Disneyland
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Well in that case why didn't they seem to like it very much
Old Jul 26th 2014, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Well, I don't know about that.

Lots say living anywhere near LA = living in Disneyland
Actually it reminds me of when I lived in the UK. I'd tell people where I lived previously and tried pinpointing it to Orange County (which I was just outside of) and they were perplexed until I said "Disneyland"
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vixsta
Thank you to everyone for the latest bits of advice! Sorry its taken so long to reply! Our trip to OC didn't go as well as we'd hoped as we got distracted at Disney!!
What a waste of a journey, especially considering the all the time it took for people to give you carefully considered input.
And you didn't even enjoy Dana Point Harbour or Laguna Beach...
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Vixsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
What a waste of a journey, especially considering the all the time it took for people to give you carefully considered input.
And you didn't even enjoy Dana Point Harbour or Laguna Beach...
I am very grateful to everyone for all the advice I have received on here and the time people have taken to give such good advice. We may be didn't use the time as wisely as we could have but with 3 children tagging along there was only so much driving around we/they could cope with. Lets say 2 days at Disney was a little sweetener for them.

We certainly got an idea about what would be a realistic commuting distance for my husband from Garden Grove and we did manage to stop at Newport Beach. Without all the help re areas we would never have known where to start so thank you everyone once again.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Hope it works out.

I'm moving to Dana Point in two years. Currently in the cultural, and literal, desert of Lancaster CA, at least the 110 degree heat is a dry heat.

There are cheap homes here though and one hour 15 mins to L.A. downtown.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jul 26th 2014 at 11:15 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vixsta
I am very grateful to everyone for all the advice I have received on here and the time people have taken to give such good advice. We may be didn't use the time as wisely as we could have but with 3 children tagging along there was only so much driving around we/they could cope with. Lets say 2 days at Disney was a little sweetener for them.

We certainly got an idea about what would be a realistic commuting distance for my husband from Garden Grove and we did manage to stop at Newport Beach. Without all the help re areas we would never have known where to start so thank you everyone once again.
You don't owe anyone here an apology for what you did or did not end up doing during your brief visit.
It strikes me that you've been extremely responsive to and appreciative of the responses you've received to your inquiries.

The "value" of your trip is something only you and your husband can determine. And it's sounds, from what you say, that it was, indeed, quite helpful.
And for your little ones - hey Disneyland....bet they don't think it was a waste of a journey.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's a thank you, not an apology.

And it's a very nice thank you too

(Not everyone is so gracious.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Jul 26th 2014 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The relevant posts #87, 95,96,97,98 speak for themselves but a most gracious thank anyway you for what I know you intend as a gracious correction.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aw haud yer weesht whitever yer blabberin aboot.

(You always confuse me further when trying to explain)

No hard feelings

Last edited by Hotscot; Jul 27th 2014 at 2:47 am.