Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orange County CA... we think

Moving to Orange County CA... we think

Old May 31st 2014, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orange County CA... we think

"Take the 405 - much better"

I don't think I've ever seen that phrase used and doubt I'll hear it ever again !!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky2303
Oh - and dont take the I5 under any circumstances! Bloody nightmare road! Take the 405 - much better.

Don`t crap yourself. I know how you feel. I upped sticks and moved to Tokyo 13 years ago and shit a very large very messy brick!

You will have a lot of ups and downs and wonder sometimes why you ever came here. But I have known hundreds of people make the move to Japan or here in my years living overseas and I don`t know a single one who regretted it, even the ones for whom it went really badly belly-up. Nobody ever regrets doing something like this. Just know you have a reset button if you need it. It is what will get you through. Not necessarily booking escape flights before you`ve even got here. But maybe just having the flight booker on speed dial.... !
Have to say I do regret it but I suppose if I hadn't done it I wouldn't have known that.
Originally Posted by Alan17
"Take the 405 - much better"

I don't think I've ever seen that phrase used and doubt I'll hear it ever again !!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotscot
Dana Point
Mission Viejo
Laguna Niguel
Lake Forest
Yes, all good Hotscot.

......need to add Laguna Beach too, although the extra drive out of the canyon adds to the commute. We rented there with an ocean view for a couple of years.......I frequently pinched myself in the morning to check I wasn't dreaming...

Last edited by FatFrank; Jun 1st 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FatFrank
Yes, all good Hotscot.

......need to add Laguna Beach too, although the extra drive out of the canyon adds to the commute. We rented there with an ocean view for a couple of years.......I frequently pinched myself in the morning to check I wasn't dreaming...
Well, if you have several million I suppose

How much was the rent?
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotscot
Well, if you have several million I suppose

How much was the rent?
$2950 per month IIRC. It was 10 years ago, so I suppose it'd be a fair bit more now. I do remember looking at much bigger houses inland for similar money, perhaps a little cheaper, but not much. In the end we decided that if we were moving to CA, and not knowing how long the assignment would be, that we were going to live near the beach......

....one thing I remember, and should be taken into consideration, is that we never really needed the air-con on with the ocean breeze cooling nicely even in the height of summer.....I can imagine $500 monthly electricity bills living inland in CA - that is about what we seem to spend nowadays in a MI summer
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Vixsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again!

Just booked flights to fly out to Orange County next week for a look around and to try and narrow down where we'd like to live! So far on the list of where to look is Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Irvine and Anaheim Hills. Anywhere I've missed that's got good schools?

Never rented before so new to all this. I've been looking on Zillow, Realtor and Trulia Apps - I know there's also Craigs List. Any recommendations on best way of finding a rental or any realtors you can recommend that deal with rentals.

The assigned schools are going to be the deciding factor, I think I'm right in saying schools are now closed for the Summer so I assume we won't be able to look round them before we find somewhere to live. I've been looking on Great Schools website at API scores. Any other tips on finding a good school?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The schools may be open at least part of the day with admin people.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vixsta

Never rented before so new to all this. I've been looking on Zillow, Realtor and Trulia Apps - I know there's also Craigs List. Any recommendations on best way of finding a rental or any realtors you can recommend that deal with rentals.
Probably already mentioned, but padmapper.com as it scrapes all the sites into one.

As for schools, most will have people either there, or at the main school district office, so you should be able to get hold of someone to have a chat about the school or arrange a walk around.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

PeppaPigA113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again!

Just booked flights to fly out to Orange County next week for a look around and to try and narrow down where we'd like to live! So far on the list of where to look is Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Irvine and Anaheim Hills. Anywhere I've missed that's got good schools?

The assigned schools are going to be the deciding factor, I think I'm right in saying schools are now closed for the Summer so I assume we won't be able to look round them before we find somewhere to live. I've been looking on Great Schools website at API scores. Any other tips on finding a good school?

Many thanks.
Hi I am a Brit Mom living in Orange County. There are a few of us brits here! were scattered! I live near Dove Canyon, my friends live in Mission Viejo, Rancho santa margarita, and ladera ranch.Either of these you wont go wrong! I dont want to put my number on an open forum. But you can message me I can always help you out. (i know what its like to be a new mom in the area!!)
Old Jul 5th 2014, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Nicky2303 is an unknown quantity at this point

I get that everyone is mentioning great areas like Ladera Ranch or RSM but bear in mind if you are commuting to Garden Grove that is going to be quite a significant distance if you are going every day. If you are working from home some days then it`s fine.

I405 is good RELATIVE to the I5 - sheesh, read the whole thing, people!

SSN - true, you can get a bank account without one. We did. But we had to get the company to help us. If someone managed it without one on their own, what can I say, you are more skilled ex-pats than we were.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Nicky2303 is an unknown quantity at this point

One more thing - the Orange County Register (you can access it online) has a list of the "top" schools in OC every year. Go to their website and do a search of something like "2013 best schools" - I`m not sure of the exact link but with a bit of fiddling you can find it. I say "top" because it`s kind of subjective - there are some schools that "teach to the test" so they get great results, and other schools that are phenomenal, but have a large English learners population so their scores pull them down. But it will give you a general idea.

We had a chicken and egg thing going on - find the house then see what school you are in, or find the school and then choose a house. We wanted to go for the latter but then found we had no choice - no one would rent to us as we had no credit history and we had to end up going for whatever house we could get and then see what the school was like.

For a realtor - we used Frank Williamson at Evergreen (949 500 7484) and he was great with us - very patient and took us to see lots of places. I could recommend him. He`s based out of Lake Forest. Hope this helps
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Vixsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone for the latest bits of advice! Sorry its taken so long to reply! Our trip to OC didn't go as well as we'd hoped as we got distracted at Disney!!

I have to say we didn't explore as much as we should have as we were limited by the amount of time we had but also we weren't particularly impressed by what we saw driving from LAX (our Sat Nav wasn't working and we kept leaving the freeway to work out where the hell we were going!). What we saw we didn't much like! And it did make us question the move.

We eventually looked at parts of Irvine and saw briefly Mission Viejo which we did like but it was our last day and we were quite rushed. I wish we'd explored these areas much more. All the schools were closed so we didn't have much luck there either! And it was so HOT!!!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone for the latest bits of advice! Sorry its taken so long to reply! Our trip to OC didn't go as well as we'd hoped as we got distracted at Disney!!

I have to say we didn't explore as much as we should have as we were limited by the amount of time we had but also we weren't particularly impressed by what we saw driving from LAX (our Sat Nav wasn't working and we kept leaving the freeway to work out where the hell we were going!). What we saw we didn't much like! And it did make us question the move.

We eventually looked at parts of Irvine and saw briefly Mission Viejo which we did like but it was our last day and we were quite rushed. I wish we'd explored these areas much more. All the schools were closed so we didn't have much luck there either! And it was so HOT!!!
If Disneyland distracted you, you had better steer wide of Disney World.

Neighborhoods in Orange County vary greatly in just a few miles, and all schools are closed during summer.

The summer weather greatly depends on your distance form the ocean. A couple miles from the beach highs in the 70's, 25-30 miles inland the 90's.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What happens if you decide not to come? Will your husband's job be adversely affected?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
If Disneyland distracted you, you had better steer wide of Disney World.

Neighborhoods in Orange County vary greatly in just a few miles, and all schools are closed during summer.

The summer weather greatly depends on your distance form the ocean. A couple miles from the beach highs in the 70's, 25-30 miles inland the 90's.
Very correct on the temps going inland. And I would have thought a research visit wouldn't include spending a lot of time at Disney (it's not going anywhere )

Some school districts are year round (although I wouldn't have a clue which are). I'm coming into this thread late, so I don't know if you've narrowed down to where you'd like to be. I have been away from OC for such a long time that every time we go down I'm amazed at how much change has happened. If I had to live there though, I'd pick as close to the ocean as I could afford. I'd also study school districts to find the right one and then narrow my search down that way. I don't think you'll ever be able to just roll up to a school and have a look see, besides they are all so different it would just be a waste of time (unless you've located a house in the area of the school)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.