Reload this Page >

Moving to Oakland CA

Moving to Oakland CA

Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Bev Sloan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oakland CA

Hi
My husband is potentially looking at a move with his work to Oakland CA. As such we are currently researching on areas to live with a 3 year old and dog!
We have been advised good areas to look at would be around San Ramon, Pleasanton, Walnut Creek. Anyone with any help and advice on these areas, or others would be great. Also any help and advice on moving from UK with a young child and don't forget the dog!
His work will be arranging all visa's and would be on 3 year secondment.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Oakland CA

I live the other side of the Bay so can't help with exact details, but i have two sets of good friends who live in East Bay, both with young kids, one family with dog. One set lives in Walnut Creek and the other in Montclair.
Both live in nice neighbourhoods, with families, dogs, parks etc. The schools re apparently reasonable to very good. They both own their own properties but used to rent nearby before they bought.

The biggest difference between the two is that the guys who live in Walnut Creek have to get up at a ridiculous hour in order to avoid horrendous commute traffic. Guys in Montclair have a slightly easier time.

Someone who lives over there might be able to give you more details.

Here is the info on school performance:
http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...30139%2C10%2C1
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jackattack
I live the other side of the Bay so can't help with exact details, but i have two sets of good friends who live in East Bay, both with young kids, one family with dog. One set lives in Walnut Creek and the other in Montclair.
Both live in nice neighbourhoods, with families, dogs, parks etc. The schools re apparently reasonable to very good. They both own their own properties but used to rent nearby before they bought.

The biggest difference between the two is that the guys who live in Walnut Creek have to get up at a ridiculous hour in order to avoid horrendous commute traffic. Guys in Montclair have a slightly easier time.

Someone who lives over there might be able to give you more details.

Here is the info on school performance:
http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...30139%2C10%2C1
Thanks for that info, worth looking into the commute traffic that could make a big difference.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

ellendarvell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We recently moved over last month to Oakland with 2 kids and 2 dogs. We are currently in Pleasanton but are moving to Oakland in the next couple of weeks due to not wanting to do the commute over the hills. The areas in Oakland to look at would be Montclair, Piedmont, Rockridge and the Oakland Hills. We found it difficult to find somewhere that would take dogs for rent and also having no credit history over here. I would recommend looking at either Craigslist or through a Real Estate agent. We used a good agent in Oakland. In terms of schools, I have heard Oakland isn't great, but they also don't start school here until a year later than in England

In terms of coming over, fly with Virgin. We were able to book the flights directly with them for the dogs. They came on the same flight as us and we collected them the same day at San Francisco airport. (The pilot even made an announcement that he had 2 very special passengers on board, which was nice). Just make sure your dog is fully vaccinated and had the rabies injection. Your vet will be able to advise what is needed and also check on the california government website. Ours had been vaccinated for rabies since being pups.

Another final thing to take into account is the time it takes for your furniture to arrive. We moved out of house 5 weeks ago in England and our container isn't due to arrive in Oakland until this weekend and we have told it could clear customs immediately or could take a few weeks, so make sure that the company agree to pay to put you up in a hotel until it all arrives. We are in one that the rooms are all suites and they take dogs.

Hope that all helps.
Ellen
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:47 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bev Sloan
Hi
My husband is potentially looking at a move with his work to Oakland CA. As such we are currently researching on areas to live with a 3 year old and dog!
We have been advised good areas to look at would be around San Ramon, Pleasanton, Walnut Creek. Anyone with any help and advice on these areas, or others would be great. Also any help and advice on moving from UK with a young child and don't forget the dog!
I know of this area.
Lived in a few of the cities over 7 years - tho its now been 15 yrs since.

To be brutally honest, wild horses couldn't drag me back.
To anyone considering a move there from England, the only question I'd ask would be "are you quite sure that that that way of life is what you want?".
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

In contrast to Xebedee, I lived in Berkeley 11 years ago and had one of the best times of my whole life.

The Easy Bay has a lot to offer if you know where to look.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I live in Pleasanton and commuted to Oakland for work until a year ago. It's not bad - certainly better than most commutes into London. The traffic isn't really bad if you're not getting close to the bridges over to San Francisco.

Whether you want to live in Oakland or further out in the East Bay depends on what you're looking for from life. Oakland schools are generally not good to bloody awful. San Ramon, Pleasanton and Walnut Creek are at the other end of the scale. If you like urban environment Oakland gives you that (there are some surprisingly nice parts) and it's close to San Francisco. If you prefer the family friendly 'burbs the three cities you mentioned are better choices.

Renting somewhere and looking around is definitely advisable if you can do it.

Good luck.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ellendarvell
Hi
We recently moved over last month to Oakland with 2 kids and 2 dogs. We are currently in Pleasanton but are moving to Oakland in the next couple of weeks due to not wanting to do the commute over the hills. The areas in Oakland to look at would be Montclair, Piedmont, Rockridge and the Oakland Hills. We found it difficult to find somewhere that would take dogs for rent and also having no credit history over here. I would recommend looking at either Craigslist or through a Real Estate agent. We used a good agent in Oakland. In terms of schools, I have heard Oakland isn't great, but they also don't start school here until a year later than in England

In terms of coming over, fly with Virgin. We were able to book the flights directly with them for the dogs. They came on the same flight as us and we collected them the same day at San Francisco airport. (The pilot even made an announcement that he had 2 very special passengers on board, which was nice). Just make sure your dog is fully vaccinated and had the rabies injection. Your vet will be able to advise what is needed and also check on the california government website. Ours had been vaccinated for rabies since being pups.

Another final thing to take into account is the time it takes for your furniture to arrive. We moved out of house 5 weeks ago in England and our container isn't due to arrive in Oakland until this weekend and we have told it could clear customs immediately or could take a few weeks, so make sure that the company agree to pay to put you up in a hotel until it all arrives. We are in one that the rooms are all suites and they take dogs.

Hope that all helps.
Ellen
Thanks Ellen reassuring to know the info on the dog especially about the hotel when you arrive that allows dogs I did think that would be a worry. Did you use a company for the dog or just arrange it all yourself? I have had a quote from PetAir travel with BA and is £1500 for the Dog to travel! Hope you settle in and your furniture arrives soon let us know how you are getting on.
Bev
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

dragon5254 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Walnut Creek, which is a nice area. Only 20 minutes by Bart to Oakland where my husband works. This side of the bay is very reasonably priced re rentals with lots of family homes. Pierdmont, Montclaire and Oakland Hills are also nice neighborhoods, but I should imagine significantly more expensive.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
In contrast to Xebedee, I lived in Berkeley 11 years ago and had one of the best times of my whole life.

The Easy Bay has a lot to offer if you know where to look.
I would also counter Xebedee's opinion - lived in the area for 27 years, and wild horses wouldn't drag me back to UK.

The key difference between Oakland, Piedmont, Berkeley, etc and Walnut Creek, Moraga, Orinda is the weather - much hotter on the other side of the tunnel, and a lot more conservative. Now, 'conservative' in the bay area is a relative term ... simply means you don't have demonstrations occurring in your city center every day! I happen to like it on the east side of the tunnel - more space, easier parking, warmer, etc - but the west side of the tunnel has a definite 'student vibe'. Rockridge is a dining destination. Downtown Oakland is not a place you are likely to want to spend much time, sadly.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

OT -- "Back To Oakland"

[In my first year of law school did a reverse commute between the East Bay and the City. This is when the album came out.].
Old Dec 8th 2011, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

MMortara is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Hi Bev. We moved here in October. Same situation as you, my husband's job moved to SF. We have a 3 year visa. We have a 6 year old daughter who started school in 1st grade. We live in Walnut Creek. We looked near Foster City, Belmont, Burlingame at first and then headed up to Walnut Creek and really liked it. We liked Lafayette too but it is much smaller. It is a 37 minute journey on BART to the city for Steve. We really have done so much in the last 8 weeks. Schools, bought a car and insured it, rented a house which was hard to find due to lack of choice, set up utilities, bank accounts, done the driving theory and practical tests! Would be more than happy to help in any way possible. I looked for help on this forum before we moved out but did not find anyone. Good luck with all your plans. We love it so far by the way. From what I can gather Walnut Creek is a great area. The shopping area is quite upmarket and the schools are highly rated. I think we made a good choice. Michelle.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 1:09 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I know of this area.
Lived in a few of the cities over 7 years - tho its now been 15 yrs since.

To be brutally honest, wild horses couldn't drag me back.To anyone considering a move there from England, the only question I'd ask would be "are you quite sure that that that way of life is what you want?".
I was there yesterday bloody awful hole yes there are nice areas but the problem is the nasty areas are to close to be comfortable I avoid it like the plague if I can.....I like Pleasanton and for sure Danville, San Ramon, Walnut Creek far more classy and cleaner!!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you do end up in Oakland make sure to visit Everett and Jones
Old Dec 9th 2011, 4:40 am
Just Joined

MMortara is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ellen reassuring to know the info on the dog especially about the hotel when you arrive that allows dogs I did think that would be a worry. Did you use a company for the dog or just arrange it all yourself? I have had a quote from PetAir travel with BA and is £1500 for the Dog to travel! Hope you settle in and your furniture arrives soon let us know how you are getting on.
Bev
Hi Ellen, our container arrived from the UK a few weeks ago into Okland and it cleared within 5 days. Hope you get lucky with yours. Michelle x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.