Reload this Page >

Moving to NY

Moving to NY

Old May 5th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

frazwardo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NY

Hi,

I'm serving in HM British Army and my wife and I have a burning desire to move to NY once i complete my full service (which is quite soon)

We have no specific preference to area at this time (NJ or NYC) but i'm hoping that someone may be able to offer advice regarding residency and the possibility to bringing our family with us (immediate family - parents and siblings)

If anyone can help at all it would be greatly apprecaited
Old May 5th 2012, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NY

Originally Posted by frazwardo
If anyone can help at all it would be greatly apprecaited
Your "burning desire" must be tempered by what is realistic and possible. Start here and see if there is a visa that will allow you to move to the US. Also, try this version. If you can answer "yes" to any of the questions you might have a chance at a visa... otherwise, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor.

No amount of wishing and planning will be helpful without a visa!

Ian
Old May 5th 2012, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated
I have already looked into the feasibility/legalitites of moving. Obtaining a VISA is not a problem. I've served many years in the military and preparation is everything! But thankyou for highlighting what i expect many overlook in the initial stage.
Professionally i am confident of acquiring work and have contacted several companies with my CV. As i get closer to leaving i will hopefully be able to approach a potential employer reagrding sponsorship. Until that time i'm eager to learn the situiation regarding relocation of family.
Old May 5th 2012, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're deluding yourself to describe getting a visa as "no problem". Even people with the most impeccable credentials can have a hard time securing a work visa in the USA. I assume you have a degree that is relevant to an in-demand occupation, or many many years of senior-level experience in such a field?
Old May 5th 2012, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Professionally i am confident of acquiring work and have contacted several companies with my CV. As i get closer to leaving i will hopefully be able to approach a potential employer reagrding sponsorship. Until that time i'm eager to learn the situiation regarding relocation of family.
Okay then... let's cut to the chase. If you and your wife make it to the US, you will not be able to sponsor your parents or siblings until such time as you become US citizens. You will be eligible for citizenship 5 years after you become a US permanent resident (= green card)... and you will only get a GC if your sponsor agrees to help you.

Once you become USCs, your parents will get a visa within about a year after you petition for them. Your siblings will get a visa about 8-10 years later. You can't sponsor either your parents or siblings until you become US citizens, as those options aren't available for those with a GC.

Now, that said... NYC is a terrific place to visit but very, very expensive to live. It's less expensive to live in NJ.

Ian
Old May 5th 2012, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

@Ian...thankyou, thats what i was i looking for. Much appreciated
@materialcontroller....I'm in no way deluded and have looked in great length at my qualifying criteria regarding a VISA (although i understand its still not a given) and yes i have a degree and many years relevant experience in management and my field (as i said i've contact companies to ascertain my employment status)
Can i ask that if you wish to reply to my thread that you offer advice and not attempt to belittle me with your remarks. It doesnt wash with me and its a shame to tarnish this website with needless remarks.
I'm sure many come on this site with unrealistic pipe dreams but i can assure you that i'm not one of them. My background is such that i never go into anything unprepared. But thankyou for posting
Old May 5th 2012, 8:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Obtaining a VISA is not a problem.
I know you were asking only about how to bring your parents and siblings to the USA. But please bear with us as we ask other questions. I am assuming since you say obtaining a visa is not a problem, that you have a few employers interested in sponsoring you for a work visa, and that you are in negotiations with them regarding employment.

Professionally i am confident of acquiring work and have contacted several companies with my CV. As i get closer to leaving i will hopefully be able to approach a potential employer reagrding sponsorship.
This part doesn't make sense to me. You've contacted companies and handed out your resume. But then you say you won't be approaching a potential employer until closer to the time you're leaving the UK? But you can't leave the UK until you have the visa in-hand, which won't happen until a company sponsors your visa. (well, you can come over for a visit...is that what you mean?)

Until that time i'm eager to learn the situiation regarding relocation of family.
Regarding parents and siblings, Ian has it all correct. It will be a very long process until you are all in the USA together again (think long term, 10 to 15 years or more).

Rene
Old May 5th 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

@Noorah101......i have contacted civilian professionals in an industry similar to mine in the forces and to that which i wish to work when i leave. My contact has been regarding future potential employment in my field ie feasability, requirement etc
I have no sponsor at this time but i have offers of sponsorship. That is something that i will look at closer to the time. Ian gave me the information that i was looking but thankyou very much for your reply.
Old May 5th 2012, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

@Noorah101......i have contacted civilian professionals in an industry similar to mine in the forces and to that which i wish to work when i leave. My contact has been regarding future potential employment in my field ie feasability, requirement etc
I have no sponsor at this time but i have offers of sponsorship. That is something that i will look at closer to the time. Ian gave me the information that i was looking but thankyou very much for your reply.
I would also like to add that for many of us bringing elderly parents to live in the US is not feasible. There is no NHS here...they may not be able to get healthcare insurance...even if they did it would probably be more than $1K per month per person. On top there are co-pays for every doctor's visit, annual deductibles, normally a minimum of 20% of all charges are paid by the patient...plus the price of medications. Healthcare here is extremely expensive...so are meds.

There have been many threads on this very subject...you can find them by using the search engine...located at the top of the page. Give me a shout if you need help with this.
Old May 6th 2012, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can i ask that if you wish to reply to my thread that you offer advice and not attempt to belittle me with your remarks. It doesnt wash with me and its a shame to tarnish this website with needless remarks.
I'm sure many come on this site with unrealistic pipe dreams but i can assure you that i'm not one of them. My background is such that i never go into anything unprepared. But thankyou for posting
It's a fair comment.

There are people with oodles of experience, world class in their field that are still unable to get a visa, just because no one can be bothered to go through the huge cost and hassle involved to sponsor them.

So don't underestimate it. Finding a job is easy, getting a offer is good, getting a visa though....

And frankly, unless you show you've actually got a chance at a visa, which you haven't, why should you expect anyone else to bother providing information which would be moot? So again, it's a fair comment.
Old May 7th 2012, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Obtaining a VISA is not a problem.
I'm in no way deluded and have looked in great length at my qualifying criteria regarding a VISA (although i understand its still not a given)
Not a given, but not a problem.

Visa aside, it is worth repeating the considerable costs involved for health insurance - particularly when parents are involved. I assume you have looked into this at great length too?
Old May 7th 2012, 6:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have already looked into the feasibility/legalitites of moving. Obtaining a VISA is not a problem. I've served many years in the military and preparation is everything! But thankyou for highlighting what i expect many overlook in the initial stage.
What you've written so far strongly suggests that you do not even have a basic understanding of the US immigration system. Moreover, the answers to your questions require knowledge of the visa route you will be taking.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to come to America - you can find a way. Just keep applying/interviewing with relevant American companies, and I'm sure you'll get sponsored. Despite the economy being awful everywhere - most companies are still looking for qualified individuals (especially from technical backgrounds) to fill roles. Goodluck.
Old May 7th 2012, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the immigration basis of these offers.

Have you been in contact with their immigration lawyers?