Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary Internet providers

Temporary Internet providers

Old May 7th 2012, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice
Default Temporary Internet providers

Hi folks,

My wife and I have moved into an apartment temporarily (3 months) while we continue to settle in the DC area. I think we're going to need some kind of internet service temporarily during this time. Can anyone recommend providers we should consider, as I suspect a 'normal' internet/TV package will be subject to a much longer-term contract.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Internet providers

Originally Posted by cy1982
Hi folks,

My wife and I have moved into an apartment temporarily (3 months) while we continue to settle in the DC area. I think we're going to need some kind of internet service temporarily during this time. Can anyone recommend providers we should consider, as I suspect a 'normal' internet/TV package will be subject to a much longer-term contract.
Normally cable service doesn't require a long term contract and as soon as you no longer need the service, you cancel and only pay for the time used and a self installation fee (about $25). Other providers normally require a long term contract.

However if you sign up for cable specials (ex. Comcast Triple Play), those may require a long term contract.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:52 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

You could buy a 3G dongle for a laptop and use that temporarily for internet access. I'm not sure that any cable provider will give you a 3 month contract for internet etc. Sorry.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

One of cable's big selling points is that they have no contract. They often charge a fairly hefty installation fee though, so if you can, try to negotiate it down. No need to tell them how long you want it for, so you can simply cancel when you need to with no penalty. Be aware that any special offers will probably be tied to a contract, so don't just look for the cheapest price.
Old May 7th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guindalf
One of cable's big selling points is that they have no contract. They often charge a fairly hefty installation fee though, so if you can, try to negotiate it down. No need to tell them how long you want it for, so you can simply cancel when you need to with no penalty. Be aware that any special offers will probably be tied to a contract, so don't just look for the cheapest price.
Thanks. We're in an apartment/condo complex at the moment, where the cable package is already installed/included. I will check the status of this with the management.

I had a 3G dongle 4 years ago in the UK. I have to say I was not impressed at all with the service it gave me and I think it's put me off using them again. Having said that, technology has improved since then!
Old May 7th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

We managed to get a 3 month contract with Brighthouse Roadrunner whilst we were in limbo - but this was about 5 years ago.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:11 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thank

I had a 3G dongle 4 years ago in the UK. I have to say I was not impressed at all with the service it gave me and I think it's put me off using them again. Having said that, technology has improved since then!
I had an AT&T one and I thought it sucked. I then got a new laptop where I could put the sim inside the laptop rather than having an external dongle, and it works great. The AT&T dongle is badly designed and a bit tempremental and I'm fairly certain there are much better ones out there.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Verizon tied me into a 2 year contract - but to get out of it you have to pay $240 minus $10/month that you were with them. So three months would cost $210 to get out of the contract. No installation fee.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Steve2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be in the same boat soon - I was considering a MiFi unit, has the advantage of allowing multiple devices e.g. laptop and several phones to get wifi access when nearby. I use one (from T-Mobile US) when travelling to the US and it works very well. Doesn't sort out the TV though...

Steve
Old May 7th 2012, 10:36 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We're in an apartment/condo complex at the moment, where the cable package is already installed/included. I will check the status of this with the management.
None of the neighbours have unsecured Wifi?
Old May 8th 2012, 4:15 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We lease out some condos in downtown - when a new tenant goes in, the just have to register with the building management and pay a $10 fee and they are given cable and internet access. Think its just basic cable and regular internet, but they can upgrade (for a price) if they want to.
Hopefully you'll get something similar at your place.

If not, I use a T-mobile hotspot app on my phone for when I'm travelling, and it works OK for emails and the like. In fact sometimes its better than my Comcast service at home...........