Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to New York - things you wish you knew?

Moving to New York - things you wish you knew?

Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to New York - things you wish you knew?

Originally Posted by civilservant
What I wish I had known moving to GA is going to be vastly different than moving to New York (Is it NY State or NYC? You don't specify)

That said, the basics are still there - the cost of healthcare, the vast distances you end up driving to get a carton of milk or a coffee, the differences in work ethic. Things like that.
Thanks! It's New York City.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
Apply for an American Express card in the UK, use it for a couple of months before you leave.
Yes, i've seen this in other places, looks like a life saver. Luckily I already have had an Amex for a while.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Just wanted to say thanks for all of these, all really helpful. I'll no doubt be back with more questions as the move gets closer...
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
If in doubt, tip. For meals 20% unless the service was rotten, and even then not below 15% unless the server was actually rude to you.
If a server was rude to me, no chance are they getting a cent in tip.

I also don’t agree with adding 20% automatically. I usually fall somewhere in between 15-20%.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough

Banking is archaic, I would recommend having a US HSBC account if you banked with them in the UK. Means you'll not have same issues with credit. I came here and had a credit card (essential here!) ready and waiting for me. Also good for global view etc. That being said, they are no means the best bank here and they aren't available everywhere but in the city there's enough of them. It's a good starting place.

Highly recommend you look at Jersey City as somewhere to live, it's a 20min commute to 33rd st, so easier than living in Brooklyn and much more chill than the city but close enough for going out etc. You also don't pay the city tax - makes a big difference!

Mobile packages are expensive here, much more so than home, so expect to pay around $65/ month PAYG without the phone.

You may need a giant sized deposit for your apartment, since you won't have credit history. If you're lucky it will be 3 months, but some people have paid 6.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vicious B
Banking is archaic, I would recommend having a US HSBC account if you banked with them in the UK. Means you'll not have same issues with credit. I came here and had a credit card (essential here!) ready and waiting for me. Also good for global view etc. That being said, they are no means the best bank here and they aren't available everywhere but in the city there's enough of them. It's a good starting place.

Highly recommend you look at Jersey City as somewhere to live, it's a 20min commute to 33rd st, so easier than living in Brooklyn and much more chill than the city but close enough for going out etc. You also don't pay the city tax - makes a big difference!

Mobile packages are expensive here, much more so than home, so expect to pay around $65/ month PAYG without the phone.

You may need a giant sized deposit for your apartment, since you won't have credit history. If you're lucky it will be 3 months, but some people have paid 6.
^This, especially on the HSBC / banking side. Most of the head-meets-wall experiences I've had have been trying to do simple things like direct deposits. Within my first 5 minutes sitting down with HSBC they warned me that the US banking system trails the UK / Europe by a decade or more, and to just get used to it.

I live in Queens (Bayside) which is a lovely area but does mean we pay the extra tax.

If you're moving with a partner, look into a multi-phone deal. We pay $65 a month to T-Mobile for unlimited everything with great roaming rates too.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
^This, especially on the HSBC / banking side. Most of the head-meets-wall experiences I've had have been trying to do simple things like direct deposits. Within my first 5 minutes sitting down with HSBC they warned me that the US banking system trails the UK / Europe by a decade or more, and to just get used to it.

I live in Queens (Bayside) which is a lovely area but does mean we pay the extra tax.

If you're moving with a partner, look into a multi-phone deal. We pay $65 a month to T-Mobile for unlimited everything with great roaming rates too.
You’ll pay the extra tax, anywhere in the official NYC city limits you’ll pay this extra income tax.

NJ is a different state across the Hudson River from NYC.