Reload this Page >

Moving to Minnesota

Moving to Minnesota

Old May 2nd 2015, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

ssnake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Minnesota

Hey guys,

In a bit of a dilemma. I have a GC and we are considering moving from UK to Minnesota but my biggest concern is finding work (e.g. internship to become licensed as a pharmacist) when I get there. Can anyone give me some views on what's good or bad about Minnesota and if anyone struggled to get work as a British expat. Thanks!

Can I also add this forum is amazing and greatly thank the people who keep it running.
Old May 2nd 2015, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Minnesota

Most people with a greencard are already living in the US you may have to expand on that.

Do you have a pharmacy degree?
Old May 2nd 2015, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Yes and just got licensed last year (which is why I had to go to UK). Now planning to come back to US but not sure if I want to stay in MN because of the cold weather (Was pretty cold last time I was there and it was only May!)
Old May 3rd 2015, 4:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssnake
Yes and just got licensed last year (which is why I had to go to UK). ....
You are talking in riddles!

Where did you get your degree?

Why did you "have to" go to the UK?

What steps did you take to ensure that you are not judged to have abandoned your permanent residence status?
Old May 3rd 2015, 3:04 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If you got licensed, how come you need to get licensed again?
Old May 3rd 2015, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very weird
Old May 3rd 2015, 4:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssnake
I have a GC and we are considering moving from UK to Minnesota...
OK, "you" have a GC, but who is "we"?

If you already have a GC, it means you've already moved from the UK to the USA. If you are a US PR, your permanent home is in the USA, and you are currently temporarily in the UK.

...but my biggest concern is finding work (e.g. internship to become licensed as a pharmacist) when I get there.
You might have bigger problems. How long were you living in the USA as a PR? How long have you been outside the USA?

How did you come to have a GC in the first place?

Rene
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Woah all I wanted was some views on MN and instead I get port of entry!

Basically I wanted to finish my final year uni and get licensed so applied for a re-entry permit and now planning to get licensed in the US. Each state has it's own rules and hurdles for licensure which is why I wanted to get get some views about MN to help me decide if I should get licensed there.
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for explaining your situation. Finishing university abroad is an acceptable reason for being outside the USA for an extended period, and you have a re-entry permit, even better. We just wanted to stop a potential problem, that's why the "port of entry" questions.

I've never been to MN, but I'd love to visit the Minneapolis area sometime (although maybe not in dead winter!).

Hopefully others will chime in with real MN experience.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

I heard it was cold, admittedly my knowledge is limited to Fargo.
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I heard it was cold, admittedly my knowledge is limited to Fargo which is in North Dakota.
FIFY
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Locations[edit]
Principal photography on Fargo began on January 25, 1995 in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. However, due to the region's unusually mild winter that year, the crew moved locations on March 9 to Hallock, Minnesota to find more suitably snow-covered landscapes for the film's winter setting. A second unit under the direction of Roger Deakins filmed near Bathgate, North Dakota where the film's Paul Bunyan statue was constructed.[10] In some scenes, artificial snow had to be created as pools and streams of meltwater are visible.[citation needed] Despite the film's title, no scenes were filmed in or near Fargo, North Dakota.

Filming locations used during production include:

King of Clubs, the bar shown at the beginning of the film where Lundegaard met the kidnappers, was located in Northeast Minneapolis on Central Avenue.[11] It has since been razed and is now Clare Housing for people with HIV.[12]
The Pillsbury Ave., Minneapolis home of Doug Melroe and Denny Kemp includes the kitchen of the Lundegaards' house.[13]
Wally McCarthy Oldsmobile was used for Gustafson Automotive and was located in the Minneapolis suburb of Richfield, off of Interstate 494 and Penn Avenue. The dealership has since relocated to Roseville and the site is currently Best Buy's corporate headquarters.
Stockman's Truck Stop in South St. Paul was used as the Blue Ox Motel.
Ember's was a restaurant located on the frontage road (S. Wayzata Blvd.) of Interstate 394 in St. Louis Park. The location is now out of business and the building has been razed; it is now the location of DaVita Westwood Hills Dialysis.
The kidnappers' hideout cabin was located on Square Lake in May, Minnesota. In 2002, it was sold and relocated to Barnes, Wisconsin.
The former Edina Police Station was used for interior shots of the Brainerd Police Station.[10]
The Lakeside Club, where Marge interviews the hookers, is in Mahtomedi.
Carl steals a license plate from the parking lot of the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport.
Carlton Celebrity Room in Bloomington was used for the José Feliciano concert.
The Minneapolis Club Parking Ramp (located on S. 8th St. and 3rd Ave S.) was used for the scene wherein Wade delivers the money to Carl. The end of the scene, where Carl exits the parking garage, was actually shot at a different garage down the street – the Centre Village Parking Ramp (located at S. 8th St. and 5th Ave S.).
Mr. Mohra's home was filmed on the corner of 3rd Street and Bryan Avenue in Hallock, Minnesota. Hwy 175 west of Hallock served as the location of the homicide crime scene.[10]
The Hitching Post Motel, in Forest Lake, was used as the Bismarck motel when Jerry is arrested.