Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Maryland - Validity of UK Driving license query

Moving to Maryland - Validity of UK Driving license query

Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Helixeagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Maryland - Validity of UK Driving license query

So the time has come when I will be finally joining my wife in Maryland in the next couple of weeks, but this time permanently. I'm trying to tie up loose ends I have here and realized that I will need to let the DVLA know of my move.

I've been searching through the threads with similar questions but I don't quite understand some things, maybe I'm overthinking it, hopefully someone can help! From what I am getting, when the DVLA are notified of my move they will essentially invalidate the license, which normally would be fine but I was hoping to be able to drive for the settling in period (get to job interview, setting up bank accounts etc).

Or is it as clear cut as no driving until I apply for a state license? which is a bit of a pain but understandable. I presume I need to do a full driving test (not a straight swap over) I tried checking the MVA Maryland site but for what ever reason its timing out. thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Maryland - Validity of UK Driving license query

You don't need to inform the DVLA. When you move to Maryland as a resident you will be given a certain grace period during which you will need to obtain a Maryland drivers license. Unfortunately their website seems to be down so I can't tell you how long that is. You can use your GB driving licence to drive for that grace period. Once you obtain your Maryland drivers license your GB driving licence will effectively be rendered null and void. You should retain it however so if you return to the UK you can simply renew it with your new address (and photo if necessary). If you wish to drive in the UK as a visitor in the meantime then you should do so on your Maryland drivers license.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You don't need to inform the DVLA. When you move to Maryland as a resident you will be given a certain grace period during which you will need to obtain a Maryland drivers license. Unfortunately their website seems to be down so I can't tell you how long that is. You can use your GB driving licence to drive for that grace period. Once you obtain your Maryland drivers license your GB driving licence will effectively be rendered null and void. You should retain it however so if you return to the UK you can simply renew it with your new address (and photo if necessary). If you wish to drive in the UK as a visitor in the meantime then you should do so on your Maryland drivers license.
Perfect! thanks for the information, much appreciated
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't delay and make excuses for not getting a MD license like some newcomers do. It's the de facto standard for ID, including buying alcohol. The driving test is likely to be rather easy.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 4:37 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with GeoffM - I don’t think incoming Brits realize the importance of a driving license here. In the UK it’s just something that shows you can drive and, unless stopped by the police or renting a vehicle you’ll almost never show it. Well, unless you are a driver by profession, perhaps. But the average Joe won’t have to show it much. But the DL here trumps any other form of ID and ID is shown/requested more often than back home - buying alcohol is a good example, even if you are clearly much over 21.

On this and many forums I see “I can drive on my UK license for x (usually 12) months anyway so why bother?” and I think some are concerned that they might fail the driving test, which is very difficult to do. In WA, for example, you’d have to make at least 5 serious mistakes or 7 minor ones to fail and if you drive that badly you shouldn’t be on the road anyway.

When I decided to join our local library I was asked for ID and I showed my GC thinking (mistakenly) that it was of higher “value” than a driving license. Not so! She said that a GC alone wasn’t sufficient and she’d need an additional form of ID. A driving license issued by the state, however, sufficed on its own.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Just don't delay and make excuses for not getting a MD license like some newcomers do. It's the de facto standard for ID, including buying alcohol. The driving test is likely to be rather easy.
Just drink the alcohol after the driving test, not before.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Just drink the alcohol after the driving test, not before.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I didn’t get around to getting an NYS state ID (learner’s permit initially as I never learnt to drive in the UK) until I’d been in the US for about four years and never had any problems using my Green Card as ID when needed.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Agree with GeoffM - I don’t think incoming Brits realize the importance of a driving license here. In the UK it’s just something that shows you can drive and, unless stopped by the police or renting a vehicle you’ll almost never show it. Well, unless you are a driver by profession, perhaps. But the average Joe won’t have to show it much. But the DL here trumps any other form of ID and ID is shown/requested more often than back home - buying alcohol is a good example, even if you are clearly much over 21.
And Flu medicine!
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:29 am
Just Joined

gaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of those who postponed getting my Michigan license, mainly because I expected the test to be the same as the UK one. When I finally got round to it, I killed a few cones trying to parallel park but because I'd successfully driven into a parking spot and then reversed out of it, I was able to do the street test, which I absolutely nailed. Instructor guy said it was one of the most competent examples he'd ever assessed as he handed me my pass certificate. What about all those cones I killed, I asked. He just shrugged. They're just cones, he said.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks all! just trying to make sure the transition goes as smoothly as possible
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gaviano
I'm one of those who postponed getting my Michigan license, mainly because I expected the test to be the same as the UK one. When I finally got round to it, I killed a few cones trying to parallel park but because I'd successfully driven into a parking spot and then reversed out of it, I was able to do the street test, which I absolutely nailed. Instructor guy said it was one of the most competent examples he'd ever assessed as he handed me my pass certificate. What about all those cones I killed, I asked. He just shrugged. They're just cones, he said.
I was concerned myself about my Ky test being similar to back home but all I had to do was a written test, no practical. I was amazed that getting my US license was ridiculously easy but after being here for just over 6 years now I can see how that relates to the local drivers.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kneeno
I was concerned myself about my Ky test being similar to back home but all I had to do was a written test, no practical. I was amazed that getting my US license was ridiculously easy but after being here for just over 6 years now I can see how that relates to the local drivers.
You're in Kentucky. Most of those drivers don't have licenses.