Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from East to West coast

Moving from East to West coast

Old Jul 18th 2016, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving from East to West coast

Hi. Has anyone been able to secure employment in Cali whilst living on the East Coast and then make the move?

Would like to know any practical advice from someone who has done it, probably highly industry specific but anyway advice always good.

Employment eligibility etc fine and I have disposable cash.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from East to West coast

It's not unusual for people in different parts of the country to find work, especially in sought-after positions.

I have had occasions where I have had a Skype interview followed by the company paying for me to visit if that goes well and they want to pursue it.

Personally, I have yet to relocate for a job, but I have been involved in both of these practices.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a skype interview with a company. My interviewer was based in Scotland and I went for a local interview at the local office on the West Coast.

I made the move to the West Coast without securing a position first. I starting work a week after looking. I had an interview within 3 days of job hunting. This was in the recession of 2008. So it all depends on your skill set. Problem with some parts of Cali is that it will eat up your savings quite quickly.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a west coast address you can borrow? When I hire I pretty much disgard applications from any further away that 200 miles or adjoining states, whichever is the lesser distance. Efforts put into hiring from further afield are often wasted IME. .... But I have found several good candidates who spoofed a local address for their résumé.

If you don't have a west coast address of a relative or trusted friend, consider renting a mailbox at the UPS store and then using their street addres and "Unit #" or "Apt #", and it is highly unlikely that anyone would notice that you're out of state. You should also consider getting a cell phone with a local number where you want to lool for work. ... Of course you may have to move quickly if a prosperous employer insists on meeting you face to face.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 19th 2016 at 8:10 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

DH had one telephone or Skype interview, then 2 face to face ones with a company, when he was looking for a job in CA. They did pay moving expenses, and accommodation expenses while our house was being sold and helped with finding one here. It helps to narrow down the area you want to work or live in or type of company you want to work for and the general wages expectations in that industry or position.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, location is not usually an issue. I've been relocated by an employer and it's quite normal for them to do this. We have teams on both coasts and will relocate someone if they're exactly what we're looking for.