Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving DOG to Florida from the UK -

Moving DOG to Florida from the UK -

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 4:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving DOG to Florida from the UK -

Originally Posted by Aoi
Since 6 April 2016 UK dog owners must ensure their dog is microchipped and their details are kept up to date.

A chip is required for an EU pet passport. Obtaining an EU pet passport before leaving the EU will make return simpler provided the rabies vaccination done in the EU is still valid (up to 3 years).

A microchip will be required in any case if returning to the EU. If the microchip is done in the EU you can be confident that it complies to ISO standards and can be read in the EU if the pet returns.

I experienced no problem having a microchip fitted in the UK read by a US vet.
Well, we had to get another one done since our US vet was unable to read the EU one.

It is fantastic that it now appears to be easier to return with your pet to the UK. The moving back to the UK part of the forum seemed to have loads of unhappy owners - the costs involved were a bit steep too.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jun 22nd 2017 at 4:57 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcarterx
Hi Guys,

Another question. How easy/difficult is it to bring your dog with you when you move to the US ( Florida ). We couldnt leave our dog behind, does anyone know what the guidelines are? How long are they in quarantine etc?

Thank you in advance
Besides the advice you have received about getting your dog to the US, note that once here your pet must be on monthly heartworm protection and have the annual shot against Lyme Disease -- both very real threats in this country.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Besides the advice you have received about getting your dog to the US, note that once here your pet must be on monthly heartworm protection and have the annual shot against Lyme Disease -- both very real threats in this country.
Depends where you are.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Depends where you are.
Most places, these days. She's asking about FL, where both meds are essential.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 6:24 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

All the import requirements for Florida can be found on the following page and by clicking on the appropriate links.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...l-dogs-into-us

please note that airlines have their own policies and should be consulted before booking air travel for either the dog or for you.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Most places, these days. She's asking about FL, where both meds are essential.
May well be in Florida, Heartworm is optional where I am, seems an issue at lower levels.

Lyme I do not remember, need too check the Pup's documentation.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Boiler
May well be in Florida, Heartworm is optional where I am, seems an issue at lower levels.

Lyme I do not remember, need too check the Pup's documentation.
My good friend, whose OH was my vet, moved to Boulder to semi retire a few years ago and I understand that Lyme is not considered to be a threat there -- though I hear some people who believe they have contracted it are disputing that. If you have mosquitos, your pet should be protected against heart worm -- so obviously a must for FL! I am pretty sure the entire eastern seaboard needs Lyme protection these days.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Down in Boulder I would do Heartworm, was hoping to be in Boulder today, did not happen.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

kcarterx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the replies.

Has anyone traveled with a staffie? We cant seem to find any airline that accepts them?
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone traveled with a staffie? We cant seem to find any airline that accepts them? ....
Their short nose is the problem. I see a transatlantic cruise on the QE2 in your future.

BTW Per your original post, re relocating to Florida, if you have a Staffordshire bull terrier you may find it very difficult to rent a home because it is likely that your dog is classified as "pit bull like", and many insurers prohibit liability coverage for a tenant with such a dog, so landlords are commonly unable to rent to the owners of such dogs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 25th 2017 at 6:20 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

kcarterx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Their short nose is the problem. I see a transatlantic cruise on the QE2 in your future.
Oh no really. I read that bull breeds are band in Miami county but are allowed in fort lauderdale, which is were we intend to stay. I understand their rules but wish they would do behavior test or something similar instead of just writing the breed off,
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no really. I read that bull breeds are band in Miami county but are allowed in fort lauderdale, which is were we intend to stay. I understand their rules but wish they would do behavior test or something similar instead of just writing the breed off. .....
Your problem is with the landlord and the insurers - if the insurer says "no", or the landlord thinks the insurer will say "no", then they won't rent to you. Full stop. .... You may find some landlords who will rent to you, perhaps ignoring their insurer, or not even realizing the problem, but anything less than "full disclosure" by you before you sign a lease, meaning "we have a Staffordshire bull terrier, he is related to/ looks similar to a pit bull, is that a problem?" will leave you at risk of being told to get rid of your dog or move out at short notice when the landlord discovers his liability insurance is void.