Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Moving Company Question

The Moving Company Question

Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Moving Company Question

Hi all,

Just wanted to see peoples experiences with movers, alot of mixed reviews for the big companies but we are having Pickfords and Britannia round next week and had PSS round today (who seemed very speedy and helpful).

It seems there are a few threads but mainly recent ones have been to Oz or NZ so just wanted to strum up an up to date US thread as I'll be sorting this over the next month or so.

All comments and stories welcome

Chris
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:10 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Moving Company Question

My only experience was with Eagle and I definitely wouldn't recommend them.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You pay more for big companies with well known names, and from everything I have ever heard, there is no guarantee that you anything better than average service.

In any case your "experience" is critically dependent on which company receives the container in the US and delivers and unpacks it, which needless to say isn't the company that you chose.

We just picked a few names of local companies out of the Yellow Pages and asked for quotes. We went with Allfreight based at 54 Hamm Moor Lane, in Addlestone, which covers London and the South East.

We were reasonably happy with their services, and they dropped off a pile of boxes a couple of weeks ahead so we could make a start on packing non-fragile stuff, .... and a few contraband items that they might have objected to!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

LindaPhillips is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved from UK to USA recently and used a Company called Sterling - they were great. The representative came around initially to give us advice on how it will all work, what we can and can't take. The packers were brilliant, it took two days to pack and load, they packed everything in their way (even the local take away menus). We could track the shipping container on an app and they were great when it came to unpacking too. I have to complaints whatsoever. Everything arrived on time and with no breakages.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested in this too! Have just posted a similar thread so will be watching both with interest
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:44 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You pay more for big companies with well known names, and from everything I have ever heard, there is no guarantee that you anything better than average service.

In any case your "experience" is critically dependent on which company receives the container in the US and delivers and unpacks it, which needless to say isn't the company that you chose.

We just picked a few names of local companies out of the Yellow Pages and asked for quotes. We went with Allfreight based at 54 Hamm Moor Lane, in Addlestone, which covers London and the South East.

We were reasonably happy with their services, and they dropped off a pile of boxes a couple of weeks ahead so we could make a start on packing non-fragile stuff, .... and a few contraband items that they might have objected to!
Essentially this.

In our previous (within British Isles) move Pickfords did the job - expensive but the company was paying - and the service was disappointing.

Moving to the US we used a local company, who were very helpful. Including, as per Pulaski's experience, happily taking pre-packed boxes even though, as I recall, for various reasons the shippers are supposed to do the packing.

At the US end it was handled by Contour Logistics, and I was delighted by the customer service and quality of service from them, but that part was the luck of the draw.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris23
Hi all,

Just wanted to see peoples experiences with movers, alot of mixed reviews for the big companies but we are having Pickfords and Britannia round next week and had PSS round today (who seemed very speedy and helpful).

It seems there are a few threads but mainly recent ones have been to Oz or NZ so just wanted to strum up an up to date US thread as I'll be sorting this over the next month or so.

All comments and stories welcome

Chris
I shipped my stuff last year - used PSS, can't fault them. They weren't the cheapest (they were the 3rd most expensive quote I had) but they were great. I had my stuff in storage in the UK and they turned up, packed everything, stored it free of charge in Deptford (I had half a container), transported it to Philly, transported by truck to my house and offloaded it to a room of my choice. Whole thing took 3 months.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Good point Pulaski....

To the OP: the outfit that delivered to my house wasn't PSS, it was a partner company. When you're doing your research, do read reviews about who the Removal company partner with in the destination country. Couldn't fault this company either (also used Contour Logistics, lovely chap), they arrived at 7am, neatly arranged my 83 pieces and were gone by 8.20am.

Last edited by Shezi59; Jan 21st 2017 at 4:19 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to revive this thread a little as we are now at a desicion making point.

We have PSS and Pickfords in the running - £150 in it between them. Preferred the Pickfords Rep slightly but to be fair, not alot in it in terms of service so far, both efficient in replys to calls and emails although PSS were slightly better.

PSS have quoted the use of Contour Logistics out in Florida but have read reviews online stating they can be very hit and miss. (Although i had seen someone here had posted about contour and said they were great) Pickfords use their own Pickfords international affiliate in the USA so could potentially mean a smoother transition with everything.

My gut (which 99.999% of the time I trust) says PSS purely on the basis that their rep on here and elsewhere seems to be slightly better.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks everyone

Chris
Old Jun 24th 2017, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to revive this thread a little as we are now at a desicion making point.

We have PSS and Pickfords in the running - £150 in it between them. Preferred the Pickfords Rep slightly but to be fair, not alot in it in terms of service so far, both efficient in replys to calls and emails although PSS were slightly better.

PSS have quoted the use of Contour Logistics out in Florida but have read reviews online stating they can be very hit and miss. (Although i had seen someone here had posted about contour and said they were great) Pickfords use their own Pickfords international affiliate in the USA so could potentially mean a smoother transition with everything.

My gut (which 99.999% of the time I trust) says PSS purely on the basis that their rep on here and elsewhere seems to be slightly better.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks everyone

Chris
I think all you can really go on is your gut. We were set on Pickford's until I read about PSS, coincidentally, a week or so ago, so now getting a quote from them as their website seems to imply they'll be much cheaper! We're self-paying, so Pickford's was winning based on price, though their US arm has pretty awful reviews :-/.

If they're both almost the same quote, I'd go with who says they can get it to you faster along with the better reviews.

Last edited by aless02; Jun 24th 2017 at 12:34 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys and Gals,

We have PSS and Pickfords in the running...

Chris
Hi Chris - did you make a decision yet? Do let us know how you get on? As I said in an earlier post, I used PSS/Contour Logistics. PSS collected my stuff from my storage unit in Manchester, UK; packed it for me and took it the the depot at Deptford in July (2015). Since I was only using a half container, it stayed there for a few weeks (free storage), waiting for a 'share'. During that time, I completed the shipping and customs paperwork. They also updated the price since I had a little more stuff than was quoted for, so be prepared.

It was shipped and in US port by mid-September and delivered a week later to my house.

Shezi
Old Jun 28th 2017, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Got a quote from PSS last week, they were £400 more than Pickfords. Good luck, Chris, let us know how it goes.