Moving to Cape Cod

Moving to Cape Cod

Old Sep 20th 2016, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Ellem86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cape Cod

Thanks, that's very encouraging!

Originally Posted by robin1234
She's mid thirties, they've lived here for a decade. She's worked for two different towns, in environmental conservation, so has all sorts of professional contacts & friendships in that context. But between ice hockey, curling, cycling etc., there's lots going on sports-wise too. They've also volunteered at the Dennis Playhouse which seems to be a pretty lively venue ....

The Cape Playhouse
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellem86
..... Provincetown would be great to visit but the drive to Boston is an additional 1 hr 45 so we have so far ruled it out as a place to live.

There seems to be very little info on what the different towns on the Cape are like and any further insight anyone here can offer would be much appreciated!
Try city-data.com for location-specific information.

When you need more information about a visa try posting a question in the "Marriage based visas" sub-forum of this USA forum, but I Noorah, Rete, and I gave you the foundational information above that you need to understand the process.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 20th 2016 at 4:18 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... but I Rete and I gave you the foundational information above that you need to understand the process.
.... and Noorah101!

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Yes, the foundational info on visa provided by all has been very useful!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
As for wanting to work for the Massachusetts police department, depends on the city he wants to work in (might require him to live in the city he is applying to). Pay is shite to start but at least it is something and will provide benefits, i.e. healthcare and 401K. Has he looked up what educational requirements are needed to apply?
Thanks for the response. He has done some reading into the requirements and it so far looks like he could apply. Not all of the towns on the Cape have a residency requirement which also helps.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:27 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Provincetown is a lot of fun and people who live there item use the greet to get to Boston. However, if you want a less seasonal place to live on the Cape, I'd concentrate on Falmouth and Hyannis.

You need to sort out your husbands US taxes and then think about health insurance. If you'll be arriving without jobs then you'll have to pay for insurance yourself, but MA has a very good assistance program if you have a low income....so check out MassHealth.

I wonder how your maternity leave money will be taxed while you are a US resident? It's probably fully US taxable.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nun
Provincetown is a lot of fun and people who live there item use the greet to get to Boston. However, if you want a less seasonal place to live on the Cape, I'd concentrate on Falmouth and Hyannis.

You need to sort out your husbands US taxes and then think about health insurance. If you'll be arriving without jobs then you'll have to pay for insurance yourself, but MA has a very good assistance program if you have a low income....so check out MassHealth.

I wonder how your maternity leave money will be taxed while you are a US resident? It's probably fully US taxable.
Thanks nun. According to City Data Hyannis seems to have a drug and crime problem so we're looking more at Falmouth, particularly as it has a nice, busy main street, good stretch of beach and housing that is potentially within our budget. Falmouth also has its own hospital which is an added bonus. I'm trying to find out whether Falmouth has a good young population rather than retirees but don't seem to be having much luck on that front.

I'll have to check how the maternity leave money will be taxed while I am in the US but it should come below the $90k threshold and I will not have any other income while I am receiving it.

Edited to add: Thanks for the pointer towards MassHealth. If we can't afford medical insurance or don't qualify for MassHealth my fiancé will have to travel ahead without me to try and get a job first.

Last edited by Ellem86; Sep 20th 2016 at 5:37 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ellem86,

Just to help with your timeline: you're getting married in Feb 2017, and then going to start a family. You're not going to immigrate until after the baby is born. Assuming you get pregnant in March 2017, you are looking at giving birth at the end of 2017, which means you won't be immigrating until early 2018 at the soonest.

Does your future husband qualify to pass down US citizenship to the child? If so, the child will need a US passport prior to entering the USA. If not, the child will need an immigrant visa (like you do).

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting area. Mental busy in the summer, can be a bit dead and frosty in the winter depending on location and certainly wet but the storms are fun. Not all that practical for heading into Boston regularly.

I suppose it all boils down to what you'll do for work out there. Getting a job with the police would be tough, fierce competition and low hire rate and many do require you to be resident of the town so you'd need to figure that out as a priority I would assume.

Our town just hired 4 people to become cops, who start their training next month. One of them had some kind of law degree and was ex-military. Two others were military police and the fourth had been working a civilian role with the police department, both in IT and dispatch for the last 5 years but also had some kind of degree in the law enforcement field.

Also, with a new born and not knowing anyone around, baby blues could be a real problem, especially being in a very new environment and something to certainly consider.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
... but MA has a very good assistance program if you have a low income....so check out MassHealth.
Only possible concern would be means tested and the financial sponsor being on the hook for it. Not that it seems the government ever goes after the money, but it's something to be aware of.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ellem86
Thanks nun. According to City Data Hyannis seems to have a drug and crime problem so we're looking more at Falmouth, particularly as it has a nice, busy main street, good stretch of beach and housing that is potentially within our budget. Falmouth also has its own hospital which is an added bonus. I'm trying to find out whether Falmouth has a good young population rather than retirees but don't seem to be having much luck on that front.
All towns have some kind of drug problem, just that some towns are better about keeping it hidden. Those towns on the cape, really aren't bad. They're to expensive to be a regular shithole tbh.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Only possible concern would be means tested and the financial sponsor being on the hook for it. Not that it seems the government ever goes after the money, but it's something to be aware of.
But if the USC is the one applying for it, shouldn't be a problem.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Noorah101
But if the USC is the one applying for it, shouldn't be a problem.

Rene
To cover himself, but for her and if the child isn't a USC.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
in that regard, it seems probable that, besides the taxes, he may need to get moving on an SSN for himself.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The child will be a USC once it has a visa and enters the US so that only leaves mommy as the one that continues to fall under the I-864.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.