Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Minilove1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Hi all,
My husband has been offered a job out in buffalo & we are looking like it will all be ready to go by the end of the year.
My problem is, that my daughter is 15 and has been working towards GCSE, I have tried and failed to find another way of her completing her GCSE's whilst living over there (ierivate tutoring/homeschooling, & then come back to uk to sit exams)
It just doesn't seem to be possible.
I want us all to move together if possible otherwise it makes it difficult for us all. Does anyone know of any options that I may have that I'm not aware of? Or do I have to just bite the bullet and ask the American school to convert what she has done towards GCSE to graduate? I'm at a loss as to what to do for the best & her education! (Guilt probably, I know)
It's an amazing opportunity, I just don't want to split us up for 7-9 months๐Ÿค”
Any advice would be really appreciated,
Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Welcome to BE.

Have you ever been to Buffalo? If not I would make sure you visit first.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Is your husband's job a fixed term assignment or is it likely to lead to a permanently position. .... Because if it isn't permanent then I would suggest that it is in your daughter's best interests to remain at school in the the UK until she has completed her A levels.

If your family is moving permanently to the US then transitioning to the US education system, including a US university, would make more sense.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I heard it is nice. ..... Also that sometimes it snows there!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I heard it is nice. ..... Also that sometimes it snows there!
I think the operative words are "lake effect"
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Yes, been to buffalo, know the 'lake effect'๐Ÿ˜‚ not a choice of place to live, if you like, it's where the job is! And no, it's not a secondment, it's a permanent move in the process, going to a job offer from a company we have worked with for the last 8 years. Not something we have done lightly, been 2 years in the making & visa processes etc & obviously have been researching, visiting, dotting the 'i's & crossing the 't's. Im just confused as to the schooling side of things.
Don't want to hinder my daughter but at the same time if we're doing it is sooner go together and get settled in to all that it entails for everyone.๐Ÿ˜Š
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is your husband's job a fixed term assignment or is it likely to lead to a permanently position. .... Because if it isn't permanent then I would suggest that it is in your daughter's best interests to remain at school in the the UK until she has completed her A levels.

If your family is moving permanently to the US then transitioning to the US education system, including a US university, would make more sense.
Hi, I'm sorry, I posted a general reply, new to this forum malarkey, & I'm on my phone so navigating it is a little distorted.
So, Thank you for your advice, yes, it's a permanent move. I'm hoping that by posting on here someone might be able to tell me the ins and outs of how they will convert(if they do) my daughter's education to date, into the US system & whether it's the sensible option or Not?๐Ÿค”
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Yes, been, saw, got snowed on immensely! Have also been in contact with company that we are going to enough, to know that, life out there/weather etc is very, very different. Like I say not a decision we are taking lightly, so if anyone can give me any info, I'm appreciating it greatly!๐Ÿ˜Š
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I think the operative words are "lake effect"
Yes, quite!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Old Aug 15th 2017, 7:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Pulaski pm'd me and I'd love to help but I'm away with crappy cell service and no WiFi. I'll send you a proper reply next week if no one else can help in the meantime.
You can convert fairly easily but need to be careful about school policy and GPA.
Look at International baccalaureate as its a fairly good match to GCSE
Take care and more next week

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Aug 15th 2017 at 7:19 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:14 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on your "shuffle off to Buffalo"... That's a little joke to all my tap-dancing friends out there.

I would consider putting the crotch-goblin in storage, or leaving it with friends in the UK. If you were to bring it State-side, be sure to have it vaccinated and chipped.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Good luck on your "shuffle off to Buffalo"... That's a little joke to all my tap-dancing friends out there.

I would consider putting the crotch-goblin in storage, or leaving it with friends in the UK. If you were to bring it State-side, be sure to have it vaccinated and chipped.
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ crotch goblin! Love it! Thanks for the good luck wishes, & the laugh, if not over helpful, took my stress levels down by having a chuckle๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜Š
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have a blast. I think that Baccalaureate sounds like a good way to go, but I'm no expert.

One thing to consider is that we have two events/milestones to stress about in the UK.
GSCEs at 16, and A Levels at 18. At 16 here, she might not be under as much stress. There would probably be time to get up to speed before taking the big US exams?

Last edited by Octang Frye; Aug 15th 2017 at 8:26 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Hi,
Pulaski pm'd me and I'd love to help but I'm away with crappy cell service and no WiFi. I'll send you a proper reply next week if no one else can help in the meantime.
You can convert fairly easily but need to be careful about school policy and GPA.
Look at International baccalaureate as its a fairly good match to GCSE
Take care and more next week
Thank you for your response & for Pulaski for pm'ing you. I would be uber interested in any foresight you have for me. Enjoy your travels (& your crappy wifi๐Ÿ˜‰, I know the struggle is real!) I appreciate all and any informative information that I can get my hands on!
Kind regards
Minnie
Aka (Marina Love-bradshaw)
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
You'll have a blast. I think that Baccalaureate sounds like a good way to go, but I'm no expert.

One thing to consider is that we have two events/milestones to stress about in the UK.
GSCEs at 16, and A Levels at 18. At 16 here, she might not be under as much stress. There would probably be time to get up to speed before taking the big US exams?
Thank you, Yes, I thought as much, with regards to US don't do 'main'exams until 18, So plenty of time to integrate. Just worried as she will have 'nothing' as regards to GCSE style qualifications like she would here at 16, daunting times..... ๐Ÿค”exciting, but daunting! Thanks againโ˜บ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.