Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving between states on a H1B

Moving between states on a H1B

Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving between states on a H1B

Just curious if anyone has experience with relocation to a different state whilst in the US on a H1B visa? As my role is largely remote based, I was looking at moving somewhere with mountains (as I'm really missing the Scottish munros and Ohio is depressingly flat) - my employer is okay with it but trying to think of whether my status will make this considerably more difficult. One thing that immediately springs to mind is that I would need to get a new driving license (and therefore take the relevant test(s) for that state) as well as the usual relocation stuff (new tags for the car, new rental accomodation, change of addresses, bank/branches etc).
Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving between states on a H1B

Originally Posted by mproudfoot
Just curious if anyone has experience with relocation to a different state whilst in the US on a H1B visa? As my role is largely remote based, I was looking at moving somewhere with mountains (as I'm really missing the Scottish munros and Ohio is depressingly flat) - my employer is okay with it but trying to think of whether my status will make this considerably more difficult. One thing that immediately springs to mind is that I would need to get a new driving license (and therefore take the relevant test(s) for that state) as well as the usual relocation stuff (new tags for the car, new rental accomodation, change of addresses, bank/branches etc).
From what I can remember about my un-capped H1B, is that you are tied to an employer, so if you move but keep said employer, not much to worry about. As for changing employer whilst here on a H1B, others can comment..
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Umm I'm not sure but I do think the H1 is location specific as well, meaning the LCA that was done in order to file for the H1 is based on a certain area or something to that effect. Google to find more information about this or ask a competent lawyer.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the H-1B, but I initially moved to California on an L-1 and then moved to Missouri on same L-1. (same job)

Even had my Green card application going when I moved. Lawyer informed authorities of move - we had no issues as far as I remember.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks, I am staying with the same employer (as of course my H1B is tied to that employer as mentioned) but I will check up on being tied to the same area.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:47 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend on your individual circumstances - PERM, I-140, I-485 etc. I'd definitely get advice from your company's immigration attorney.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Moving between states you just switch drivers licenses - there may be some basic computer test, but there won't be a road test.