Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage approval; what to expect?

Mortgage approval; what to expect?

Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:05 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage approval; what to expect?

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
We got 4.65% for a 30 year fix. L-1 and L-2 visa, 2 year credit history and 2 tax returns. Put down 20%. San Francisco....eye watering prices and we needed to keep money back for renovations.

The paperwork was pretty exhausting (annoying) and tracing the money from the UK to the US for the deposit became infuriating as they needed to comply with money laundering laws.

the 10 year fix was a lot better but as I don't know what we'll do or where we'll be, we just didn't want to risk it as we're both in our 40s, although I'm pretty risk averse.
What was your thinking behind fixing on a higher rate for a longer period of time when you're on a temporary work visa out of interest?

Did the mortgage company not throw any objections up about the short term visa's?

Last edited by hungryhorace; Oct 1st 2014 at 3:25 am.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

The GC process is in train and although not guaranteed etc, we thought it wise. If we don't stay, we'll sell and go or rent it out in the short term. Interest rates are bound to go up on the next year or two so I liked the idea of fixing at these relatively low rates for a lifetime (given our ages >40 - small rises in interest rates can be pretty punishing).

Mortgage company did not bat an eyelid about L-1/L-2. I hadn't even realised we would be eligible for a mortgage until I bumped into an estate agent in the street where we were renting and I spoke to her. She put us in touch with a very knowledgeable broker and that was that. The worst part was all the underwriting stuff. I think I must have uploaded around 100 files in the end. Tortuous!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
What was your thinking behind fixing on a higher rate for a longer period of time when you're on a temporary work visa out of interest?

Did the mortgage company not throw any objections up about the short term visa's?
I asked this to our mortgage company. They said legally they cannot object to even a 100-year old getting a 30 year mortgage if everything else passes their tests.

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
The paperwork was pretty exhausting (annoying) and tracing the money from the UK to the US for the deposit became infuriating as they needed to comply with money laundering laws.
Which is a complete farce as - in our case - all they needed was a letter from my mother indicating that the funds were hers, no matter where she got the funds from. In addition to a statement that in fact the UK does indeed use a different currency, and that indeed the rate is different to the US, and indeed the transfer arrival date may well differ from the transfer origination date.

In other words, they needed to pretend that they understood international transfers, but labelled it as "money laundering laws" in an attempt to cover up their sheer incompetence.

Cynical, moi?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Our funds were already transferred. We had no option. That was the only annoying aspect. Everything else was bearable.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

I just refinanced into a 4% 30 year rate with minimal PMI. We were in a 4.625% 30 year with big PMI. (I hate appraisers by the way, the only reason i have any PMI is that the appraiser used a local fixer-upper as a comparison, and also gave no extra value to our new bathroom).

I could have got 3.875% 30 year, but would have had to give the bank an extra $2-3000 for closing.

The interest rates are roughly correlated with the 10-year treasury yield, which is about 2.5 at the moment. Financial 'experts' have predicted the 10 year rate to rise but it has not really budged...

No one can predict rates in half a year nevermind 5 years. Interest rates are at historic lows, but they said the same thing about Japan in 1990s and in Japan the low interest rates became the new normal.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, we have no PMI. Makes a difference.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and 3.5% rates for 30 year fixed were available in 2012-13 when the 10-year treasury yield was at 1.6 or so.

With great credit, 15-20% down I think you can get 4% at the moment. Check out internet lenders directly, and not a broker. Although if it is your first purchase then using your realtor's personal broker can have advantages.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
In other words, they needed to pretend that they understood international transfers, but labelled it as "money laundering laws" in an attempt to cover up their sheer incompetence.

Cynical, moi?
Ha, we completely had this too! Our downpayment consisted of monies pooled from previously living in the UK and Switzerland in GBP and CHF, as well as USD, all held in a three-part multi-currency account in Jersey; the GBP and CHF funds were FXed into dollars within that account, and then it was all on-shored to the US.

You can imagine the fun... I was expecting to have to explain how this worked, but not down to the level of 'that sum of money there *circles on statement* is actually the same funds as transferred and shown there *underlines on statement*... you're right, the numbers ARE different, aren't they - that's because in the first one, the money is in GBP and in the second it's been turned into dollars... no, not all countries use dollars, no... no, sterling isn't just the same as dollars but just using a different word...'
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 5:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I asked this to our mortgage company. They said legally they cannot object to even a 100-year old getting a 30 year mortgage if everything else passes their tests.
But they can if you're only here on a temporary basis, which being on a visa status is and that wasn't what the question was, which was about the ability of being on a L1 visa and not ones age :/
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic: I heard that it's getting very tough to get a mortgage back home if you're over 40 or so..
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Off topic: I heard that it's getting very tough to get a mortgage back home if you're over 40 or so..
Presumably based on not expecting that you would have paid off a 25 year mortgage before you hit retirement age. ...... I foresee the return of endowment mortgages, or at least a hybrid of repayment and endowment mortgages, with the endowment piece being designed to accumulate enough to pay off the balance of the mortgage at your expected retirement age.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But they can if you're only here on a temporary basis, which being on a visa status is and that wasn't what the question was, which was about the ability of being on a L1 visa and not ones age :/
You missed the point then.